Problems with uneven burning?

stogie4u4me

ChestBeater
I have smoked a few cigars in my day. Usually purchased them at the local cigar shop and smoked within an hour or two. I purchased a humidor a few weeks back. Got in some great cigars from Geneva. However the last few I have smoked have burned unevenly. Any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong? My humidor is maintained at 70.

How long have they been in your humi? It sure sounds like they aren't evenly humidified. Have you thought about a lower humidity level? I have had better luck in the low to mid 60's.

not sure if this helps, but maybe rotating your stock in your humidor would help. cigar shops use active humidifying devices, where as i think the majority of people with personal humidors use passive humidification.

active ones might do a better job of circulating the air, so rotating your stock with a passive one might be a good idea. it may not be the answer, but i don't think it'll hurt.

hell, i end up reorganizing my 50 count every week or two, i have no idea why.

the other thing that comes to mind would be an uneven lighting, but you mentioned you're no newb to cigars...so we can probably rule this one out.

I love taking mine out and looking at them... I always say, I love looking at cigars as much as smoking them. =)

I find most of the problems with uneven burning are due to how you fire them up or uneven air flow on the stick like when you are in a car. Make sure the end of the stick is heated and roll it over the flame before you puff away. As you smoke roll it a little to even the potential effect of airflow and it should help as well.:ss

I have smoked a few cigars in my day. Usually purchased them at the local cigar shop and smoked within an hour or two. I purchased a humidor a few weeks back. Got in some great cigars from Geneva. However the last few I have smoked have burned unevenly. Any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong? My humidor is maintained at 70.
Do you have a digital hygrometer? or is that an analog? and either or is it calibrated?

You may also be over smoking the sticks or puffing them too frequently. You may want to make sure your letting the cigar rest between puffs. This should give it a chance to even out.

You may also be over smoking the sticks or puffing them too frequently. You may want to make sure your letting the cigar rest between puffs. This should give it a chance to even out.

:tpd: I second that. I've found that most burn problems that I encounter can be fixed or at least alleviated by smoking slower. And I get a kick out of seeing a cigar correct itself. That little orange bugger starts at the even part and wraps his little way around to the uneven part and licks it all up :tg lalalalalalalala

Some other questions. Did you let the smokes rest in the humi first for a while? Were you smoking outside in windy conditions?

:tpd: I second that. I've found that most burn problems that I encounter can be fixed or at least alleviated by smoking slower. And I get a kick out of seeing a cigar correct itself. That little orange bugger starts at the even part and wraps his little way around to the uneven part and licks it all up :tg lalalalalalalala

in line with mikeyj23's (jordan fan, are we?) comment, a good steady purge will also help to even out the burn and also helps with the flavor. same rules apply, tho, not too hard, not too often.

Back