PROJECT: Cigar Band Coffee Table (Warning: Many pictures)

Mark THS

Herfing at 110°
Well, fresh off the heals of the cigar room, I figured I'd dive head first into a new project. After seeing Tech-Ninja's awesome cigar band poker table (HERE), I was inspired to start a cigar band project of my own.

I mulled around with the idea of what piece of furniture would lend itself the best to the project. After some careful consideration, I decided on a coffee table. I browsed Craigslist for a few weeks and finally came across a chippendale table that looked like it may have potential. The guy was asking $60 for it but I talked him down to an amount considerably less after seeing the awful condition it was in. Why anyone decided to paint a beautiful mahogany table with lime green paint is beyond me.

So with the table procured and in my possession I had to go about finding the massive amounts of bands to lay into the epoxy. Now, I smoke frequently- but not THAT much..so I decided to check out eBay to see what they had in the way of cigar bands. I was fortunate enough to find a gentleman who had 5 bundles of unused, antique cigar bands. Additionally, I was able to track down a few antique box labels and small print and litho knick-knacks to include.

I am kicking myself for not taking more through pictures of the process (you'll see as I post the pictures that some steps are missing pictures). I also have misplaced pictures of the original, untouched table.

Fast forward to the middle of the stripping process. Much of the lime green paint was removed, but you can see the gist of what it may have looked like. You'll see from the pictures that the deep detail grooves of the table provided quite a challenge to strip of paint.

DSCN1207.jpg

DSCN1208.jpg

DSCN1209.jpg

DSCN1210.jpg

With the table totally stripped of paint, I began primary sanding to remove as much of the surface imperfections as I could. As I sanded, it became strikingly evident that the old table had sucked up a tremendous amount of stain when it was originally manufactured.
DSCN1212.jpg

To free the wood of this finish, I decided to bleach the wood with a two part bleach. You can see that the bleach helped to recover much of the original wood tone

DSCN1216.jpg

DSCN1217.jpg

With the wood bleached. I went through the painstaking process of sanding and detailing the wood to return it to original condition. This involved between 8-10 varying grits of sandpaper, small picks for grooves and channels, and when all was said and done, about 10-15 hours of time. (I apologize for not including pics of sanding).

With the table sanded down to original form, I chose a light walnut stain.

DSCN1260.jpg

DSCN1261.jpg

DSCN1263.jpg

(As you can see in the previous picture, the pores of the wood still held some paint, but the finish eventually toned the wood to where it would be impossible to see. Also, it would be covered with bands, so it was of no concern to me)

With several coats of stain applied, the table had reached a tone that I was happy with. I then applied SEVERAL coats of a polyurethane finish. Again, I did not photograph this entire project, but here is the finished result.

DSCN1265.jpg

DSCN1267.jpg

With the table ultimately finished from a restoration aspect, I focused my efforts on the epoxy table top.

I first started by laying out a few of the antique box labels that I wanted to feature prominently. I applied them with adhesive spray.

DSCN1268%20C1.jpg

Then I laid the first few bands down with more adhesive spray

DSCN1269%20C1.jpg

And some more...

DSCN1270%20C1.jpg

I finished the first layer with a few more bands and laid down the first 32 oz of epoxy. The epoxy is clear, so it is difficult to see, but the bands darkened a bit as they saturated.

DSCN1271%20C1.jpg

Finally, I added more bands and MORE epoxy to create a 4th layer. This will ultimately be the final layer

DSCN1291%20C4.jpg

DSCN1293%20C4.jpg

And there you go, folks. My cigar band table.

I applied the last layer of epoxy this afternoon and when it cures by tomorrow night, I will post the final, finished and buffed pictures of the table

(I apologize for not including pics of sanding).

:r Are you serious? This made me laugh out loud... you are too much! What an INCREDIBLE job you did. Truly a gifted handyman by the looks of the table and the room. :tu

Thanks for showing these great ideas... only wish I had some talents there. Keep up the good work! :ss

:r Are you serious? This made me laugh out loud... you are too much! What an INCREDIBLE job you did. Truly a gifted handyman by the looks of the table and the room. :tu

Thanks for showing these great ideas... only wish I had some talents there. Keep up the good work! :ss

:rThanks. I cant take too much credit for the room, though, that was a collaborative effort.

I'm mostly bummed out about not having the pics of the original table in an untouched state.

Back