PROJECT: Cigar Band Poker Table (warning: many pictures)

Mark THS

Herfing at 110°
Hey guys,

Well, we're back at it again. My brother and I decided to take on yet another cigar-related project. (For those who havent seen the other projects, they are here and here)

Several months back, Tech-Ninja used a cool technique to inlay cigar bands into a clearglaze epoxy. The technique worked out so well on the cigar band coffee table that I did a few months ago that I decided to try my hand at a poker table for the cigar room.

We found a site with rudimentary plans for an octagon poker table and set out to start the project. Much of the plans had to be improvised on the fly to compensate for the cigar band epoxy rail.

Without further adu, here is the journey we've taken over the past couple of months...

The table is constructed out of Oak plywood, so the first step was to cut an array of different octagon shapes within each other, which took a bit of measuring..
IMG_0024.jpg

Once we had gotten the measurements squared away, we spent an evening cutting out the various octagons..

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

With the shapes cut, it was time to upholster the playing surface and the rail. To cover the playing surface, we wrapped the center ply w/ a dense foam
IMG_0034.jpg

Then we covered it in a special felt called "speed felt" or "fast felt" which is used on professional poker tables
IMG_0038.jpg

continued in next post...

We spent a ton of time putting in staples to make the surface secure

IMG_0039.jpg

Here is the completed playing surface (notice the cool pattern)

IMG_0041.jpg

Then we turned our attention to creating the "rail" or the padded surface to rest your elbows. We joined two outter rings together and wrapped them in a heavy foam for comfort

IMG_0043.jpg

Then we painstakingly wrapped the rail in vinyl. This took a lot of time but it was worth it because it is a very visible element of the table

IMG_0044.jpg

Note the amount of staples- and this was only half way!

IMG_0045.jpg

Late at night, we labored away trying to force, prod, and coax the vinyl. Glad we wont have to do this again

IMG_0047.jpg

With the rail completed, we focused out attention on the cigar band "race track" part of the table. Because we were pouring a very heavy epoxy, it was essential that we make tight forms to hold it in. We used drywall tape wrapped in packing table to make the forms. (note: I stained the table, but did not take pictures)

IMG_0091.jpg

With the forms in place, we put down some bands and poured the first layer of epoxy

IMG_0092.jpg

And some more bands..

IMG_0093.jpg

More epoxy, more bands

IMG_0094.jpg

A closeup of layer #2, note the floating effect of multiple layers

IMG_0100.jpg

When all was said and done, we had laid down 5 layers of epoxy. The depth is difficult to see in photos, but after we removed the forms, you can see the depth in the cupholder voids

IMG_0102.jpg

Here is a shot with all of the forms removed

IMG_0108.jpg

With the racetrack done- all we had to do was begin assembly! We spent a lot of time creating brackets and spacers to make sure the fit was good. We wrapped a decorative rope around the playing surface, put on folding legs and put in the cupholders. Viola!

IMG_0115.jpg

Some closeups of the bands:

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

And another view of the completed table:
IMG_0141.jpg

I will snap a few shots of the table in the morning when I can get a bit of natural light. We finished the table tonight and were excited to show Club Stogie, so you'll have to bear w/ the dark shots :tu We had a blast doing this one.

Now we just need to work on finding a way to get it from my place to Ryans cigar room:cb

HOLY. SHIT. This is absolutely amazing!!!! I wish I could bump your RG to like 2,000 with this post. Seriously....words can't describe, man...I'm in awe. Kudos to you!

Jason

And a special thanks to all of the gorillas who have contributed bands in the past few months- at herfs and through the mail.

The Detroit gorillas have been awesome about collecting bands for me over the past year. And several gorillas have sent packages of bands. We couldnt have done it w/out you guys

Wow, that is absolutely amazing. This is the coolest poker table I have ever seen. Where did you buy your felt? I really like the pattern :tu

While putting the cigar bands down..how are you able to stop them from curling back up on you? Are you gluing them down, before you pour the epoxy?

Nice job as always! I always look forward to reading your posts.

While putting the cigar bands down..how are you able to stop them from curling back up on you? Are you gluing them down, before you pour the epoxy?

Nice job as always! I always look forward to reading your posts.

Yeah, I sprayed them w/ spray glue (elmers). A healthy coating of spray glue is enough to keep them stuck to each base layer. It helped to flatten them out a bit before applying, though.

Mark... I am CERTAIN you guys could make a living by designing and fabricating upscale specialty cigar furnishings. You guys are simply INCREDIBLE! :tu

Congratulations on a job well done. :ss

Great Job!!! Amazing!!! Awesome!!!:tu

Alright let's start a group buy - how many of those can you pump out this week?:r

Seriously, you did a wonderful job!!!

Back