Proposal for a new way to give/send cigars to noobs

sames

ChestBeater
Many people often send great sticks to the new gorillas. I feel as if this might not be the best way to teach people what a good cigar is.

I feel if someone REALLY want to impress a noob, the best thing to do is send them 5 cigars. From there they should include 5 cigars of different qualities, and write a list of the order they should smoke them in.

I find that for a beginner to receive high end sticks it is pretty much a waste. You dont know what a good stick is until you have smoked bad ones.

In a summary here is my idea:
1. Send 5 cigars of different qualities, low end to middle to high end.
2. Include a list of the order they should smoke them in.
3. From there the noob would realize why the high end is so good and why low ends are not.
4. The noob would learn alot and appreciate the sticks more.

I originally posted this in the "To all newbs...." thread. I wanted to see what you guys think of this idea and its possible effectiveness.

Last edited:
I think you're entitled to your opinion and I understand your point; however, I'd prefer not to tell other people what kind of cigars they should or should not be sending out. Personally, I'm not going to send what I consider to be "bad" cigars to anyone, whether he or she has been smoking cigars for a few days or for decades.

Of course, if you want to start your own trade/pif/whatever, you're free to create any rules you want (within reason) to apply to that particular thread.

Re: Proposal for a new way to send cigars to noobs

I'm a little confused by this proposal. Are you suggesting a new way for new members to trade with each other to build up trader feedback? If so, then that's a cool and different idea for newbs to trade providing everybody agrees in advance. If you are suggesting that the CS members as a whole should send low to high end sticks to "impress" new members I think the spirit of the jungle has always been to send what you like to smoke and what you would think somebody else would like to try. Buying, selling, trading, and bombing cigars are just a part of club stogie. The relationships formed and the knowledge gained from other members is really what Club Stogie is all about.

Re: Proposal for a new way to send cigars to noobs

I would say it is for those more experienced members, for them to send to new people to the cigar world.

I've been reading most of these posts the past few days regarding the recent issues that some have had with the "Newbie" trades. While I agree that there needs to be some order here, I would hate to see this great place become somewhat over regulated....

I'm new here and have really enjoyed my short time here and hope to be here for a long time. If someone sends me 5 sticks and I send out 7, or 8, or 9, I don't want to have to feel bad about it. While I am new HERE I am not new to Cigars. I am participating in the Newbie PIF in order to establish rapport, feedback, trust, and meet some fellow BOTL's. Maybe I haven't been here long enough yet, however I really don't see what the issue is and what all the concern is about? Now if new members are signing up for the sole reason of thinking they can get better Cigars then they give out, then yes I admit it's a problem. The Mod's are in a better position to evaluate this and will do what they see fit IF they feel a change is necessary.

Maybe some general "tweaking" needs to occur in the PIFS, MAWS, NST's etc.., however as the Mod's see it if THEY think a change needs to occur. I for one, think this is a great place and am thankful for such a community of Cigar lovers as myself.

If it aint broke, it doesn't need to be fixed

Happy Holidays to all

Last edited:
They did a pass like this recently. The "bad stick" "good stick" thing is so subjective I can't see it working. I mean I like Parodi's sometimes!

MCS

I think you're entitled to your opinion and I understand your point; however, I'd prefer not to tell other people what kind of cigars they should or should not be sending out. Personally, I'm not going to send what I consider to be "bad" cigars to anyone, whether he or she has been smoking cigars for a few days or for decades.

Of course, if you want to start your own trade/pif/whatever, you're free to create any rules you want (within reason) to apply to that particular thread.

:tpd: I concur.

You're smart. You know stuff.

Well put, James. I would never think of sending cigars to someone I thought were bad. (o.k. I can think of a couple of knuckleheads. ;))

My:2

If someone feels the urge to "bomb" a newb with some nice stogies thats up to them. Making guidelines for a gift seems strange. Maybe there are too many people joining here solely to take advantage of the generosity of some of these Gorillas.

:tpd: I have noticed this as well. I understand your proposal in this thread. Or, atleast the thought behind it. However, to tell a newb to smoke in a certain order, takes away an important aspect of life and smoking - "Free Will". Enjoying cigars is much deeper than, "this is a good or bad stick". I have smoked cigars that did not fit my present mood, compliment the dinner I had had, etc. Then love it on another occasion. It is more than smoking a cigar. It is a physical, mental, spiritual state. IMO, if you are smoking because I tell you to smoke this one now, it will rob your experience. I like the thought of a newb, looking through their stash, and picking what hits them at that time of life. IMO, that is how palates, memories, and great smokes are found. I commend your effort.
A side note: Shaggy, and the elders have done a great job on the revised NST. I think it will get the newbs back to the importance of the growth process.

Thanks for the feedback guys. This was just something I wanted your opinion on and I am seeing the importance of why this isnt the best idea :)

You know, some of the "noob's" here have been smoking cigars longer than I have. Some of the 'noob's" here have a much better selection of quality cigars than I do. To suggest that I send someone dog rockets to top shelf and tell the "noob" to smoke the sticks in particular order and he will have a much better appreciation of the best stick would probably be a little arrogant on my part.

If someone is a true newbie to our hobby, then the best way for him to learn and develop his palate is to take his time and experiment, not for me to tell him what is good and what isn't. Ask advice but there are many cigars out there, many different flavor profiles and what I think is a good cigar others may not.

You know, some of the "noob's" here have been smoking cigars longer than I have. Some of the 'noob's" here have a much better selection of quality cigars than I do. To suggest that I send someone dog rockets to top shelf and tell the "noob" to smoke the sticks in particular order and he will have a much better appreciation of the best stick would probably be a little arrogant on my part.

If someone is a true newbie to our hobby, then the best way for him to learn and develop his palate is to take his time and experiment, not for me to tell him what is good and what isn't. Ask advice but there are many cigars out there, many different flavor profiles and what I think is a good cigar others may not.
:tpd: Yep,

Back