Parisian Pimp
Fort Worth is considering an ordinance that would ban smoking in:
• Restaurants
• Bars
• Billiard Halls
• Bingo Parlors
• Bowling Centers
• Business/Office Buildings
• Service Lines, including those that extend out the doors of non-smoking facilities
• Within 20 feet of any entrance or openable window of a non-smoking facility

While providing exemptions for:
• Retail tobacco stores unless they open into a mall or another non-smoking venue.
• Outside dining patios, except portions within 20 feet of facility’s main entrance.
• Sexually-oriented adult entertainment businesses.

Feel free to read up on it here: http://www.fortworthgov.org/publichealth/info/default.aspx?id=35310

The city is holding public meetings over the next month and is also looking to hear from interested parties via email at smokingordinance@fortworthgov.org

I would invite any of you who have, will, or might be smoking in this area to take the time to drop a quick note to the City of Fort Worth staff at the above address.

I composed and sent the following email this morning:
To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing to voice my opposition to the proposed Fort Worth smoking ban. I personally do not smoke cigarettes nor do I particularly care for the way they smell; I do, however, smoke an occasional cigar at a bar or restaurant whose owner has decided to allow such activity. I feel, as do many I know, that the proposed smoking ban is ill advised, could have great negative economic effect, and is an unnecessary erosion of personal choice and economic freedom. If a restaurant owner chooses to allow smoking in his or her establishment, why is that any of the government's business? This smoking ban takes away that owner's economic liberty, his ability to choose what occurs in his or her own place and its impact on his or her financial success (or failure in the case of establishments who currently cater to smokers but may be forced to close their doors should such a ban take effect).

One of the things that makes this country great is personal choice: I have the choice--as does everyone else--whether to walk into a bar or restaurant that allows smoking. I did not vote for anyone to make that choice for me (or the business owner) nor will I ever vote again for someone who does or did attempt to make such a choice. I have always thought of Fort Worth as a wonderful place, full of free spirits, the place where the West begins. I am sad to say that, should this proposed ban be approved, then that image that Fort Worth has fought so hard and for so long to earn and maintain will be lost. And what is next? Smoking in one's car? One's house? Or how about a ban on trans-fats? This is Fort Worth. Not New York. Not Los Angeles.

Roger Williams, our current Secretary of State, has a great motto: "Let's Do Business." Well, let's do business. Let's allow business owners to make up their own minds about how to run their businesses and let's allow consumers to make up their own minds about what businesses they choose to patronize.

Respectfully,

Croatan

Fort Worth is considering an ordinance that would ban smoking in:
• Restaurants
• Bars
• Billiard Halls
• Bingo Parlors
• Bowling Centers
• Business/Office Buildings
• Service Lines, including those that extend out the doors of non-smoking facilities
• Within 20 feet of any entrance or openable window of a non-smoking facility

Time to open nude bars, restaurants and nude bowling alleys since adult-oriented businesses are exempt.

Are Cowboys becoming castratos?

The urbanization of American culture is a BAD thing.

Are Cowboys becoming castratos?

Hell, no! It's the dirty Californians who keep moving in here and ruining everything :)

Pretty soon, we won't be able to throw peanut shells on the floor or throw women in the truck bed if they misbehave. :cb

Wow, my wife went to TCU and her friends from college are some hard partying big time smokers! I have to call them up and see what they are all thinking about this. By the way, that is a great letter. It's clear, concise, and I think you are logically sound. Let's see if they write back, please keep us posted...

Wow, my wife went to TCU and her friends from college are some hard partying big time smokers! I have to call them up and see what they are all thinking about this. By the way, that is a great letter. It's clear, concise, and I think you are logically sound. Let's see if they write back, please keep us posted...
I recieved what appears to be a form response:

Thanks for your comments. We appreciate your input regarding this
important issue.

Amy C*****
Public Information Coordinator
City of Fort Worth, Public Health

Amy **** didn't put the last four words in her reply to you..."Now go f*** yourself..""

Jerry in Minnesota

Now where am I going to go and have pancakes and a cigar after I night of drinking? That is part of the appeal of Ol' South Pancake House.

Seriously, I will send in my opinion. Fort Worth is one of the last bastions where I can walk around downtown and smoke my favorite cigars without anyone being bothered. :cb

I like to have a cigar and a drink but I don't like cigar's and dining. However I agree with your statement that businesses should be ran as the business owners see fit. Just like the no-smoking signs that are posted at the entrances of establishments that do not allow smoking I feel that if businesses do allow smoking they should post a little warning so those that do not want to enter won't.

I say this because I visited a restaurant with my wife and kids in the OKC area and being a bar and grill I thought they would have a non-smoking area but they did not and we were upset. If it would have been just me I could care less but again my wife and kids were with me and I would have like to have had a little warning so we could have chosen somewhere else to dine.

Back