Puerto Rico 965's

CHRONO14

Mid 20's Gorilla
Just wondering if anyone has tried any of these? I was coming back from Puerto Rico on Monday and stopped in the duty free during a layover and came across these smokes. I couldn't pass it up considering I've never seen a cigar that uses Puerto Rican tobacco and thats where my family is from. From what the companies web site says they use Puerto Rican (Comercio) binder and filler and an Ecuadorian Connecticut wrapper. I hope they are at least decent. I'll post a review when I get a chance to try one.

IMG_0055.jpg

Last edited:
I have not tried that brand. I have however picked up and somked quite a few Don Collins cigars that I got in San Juan Viejo. Not the prettiest cigars but interesting. The ones aged in rum barrels are tasty.

Ryan

a little OT ... but sup Boricua?!? my mom's from San Sabastian, but I haven't been back for *years*. there's a few of us Boricuas floating around the forum. just had my grad students read a book on Puerto Rican Chicago today, too. :)

anyway ... good luck with these cigars.

a little OT ... but sup Boricua?!? my mom's from San Sabastian, but I haven't been back for *years*. there's a few of us Boricuas floating around the forum. just had my grad students read a book on Puerto Rican Chicago today, too. :)

anyway ... good luck with these cigars.

My pop is from Jayuya (pretty much as high as you can get on the island). I'm hoping these are good. I figure even if they aren't they'll definitely be a souvenir for me.

Very cool I'm planing to go there in a year or so.
I'm Puerto Rican, and a lot of my family is from there.
Are you will to trade a few or something?

:bl:gn:chk:r
Good to see some Boricuas around....
Como estamos mi gente?
Honestly, I never knew that was a puertorrican cigar... I am from Arecibo, barrio Sabana Hoyos and when I was a kid my grandpa and some other of his friend use to take care of an entire 150 Hectarias of tabacco plants...(I dont know what would be the translation of Hectarias in to english)...
I remember that they use to do the "Tabaco de Yarda" Yard Chew tabaco... They use to rolled and then sell it...
Any way... If you dont mind pass the name of the Cigars or the website...I will love to read about it and smoke them too...
Puerto Rico have the same type of soil as Cuba, Nicaragua, Domincan Republic, Honduras, ect... Most of my granpa plantation was near pineapple fields that use to belong to the "Autoridad de Tierras" that use to produce pineapples for Lotus and Dove.... The soil is a red mud that when it rains will get really muddy and after 2 or 3 week after rain stop will still moist....

The other big plantation of tabaco I knew was in Lares...

I will check with my family there and if I find something I will let you guys know...

Sorry guys this next line have to be encrypted...lol...:

:hn:wBoricuas... Si alguno de ustedes tienen un poquito de Pitorro que puedan conpartir... Mi papa me lo enviaba en bottellas de listering pero lamentablemente mi viejo murio... Aqui en Iraq caeria como anillito al deo para olvidar las penas y fumare un Montecristo que tengo añejaito (8 años)...lol...Dejenmen saber...$$$:tu:ss:cb:r

Gracias mi gente...
Thank you guys....

:bl:gn:chk:r
Good to see some Boricuas around....
Como estamos mi gente?
Honestly, I never knew that was a puertorrican cigar... I am from Arecibo, barrio Sabana Hoyos and when I was a kid my grandpa and some other of his friend use to take care of an entire 150 Hectarias of tabacco plants...(I dont know what would be the translation of Hectarias in to english)...
I remember that they use to do the "Tabaco de Yarda" Yard Chew tabaco... They use to rolled and then sell it...
Any way... If you dont mind pass the name of the Cigars or the website...I will love to read about it and smoke them too...
Puerto Rico have the same type of soil as Cuba, Nicaragua, Domincan Republic, Honduras, ect... Most of my granpa plantation was near pineapple fields that use to belong to the "Autoridad de Tierras" that use to produce pineapples for Lotus and Dove.... The soil is a red mud that when it rains will get really muddy and after 2 or 3 week after rain stop will still moist....

The other big plantation of tabaco I knew was in Lares...

I will check with my family there and if I find something I will let you guys know...

Sorry guys this next line have to be encrypted...lol...:

:hn:wBoricuas... Si alguno de ustedes tienen un poquito de Pitorro que puedan conpartir... Mi papa me lo enviaba en bottellas de listering pero lamentablemente mi viejo murio... Aqui en Iraq caeria como anillito al deo para olvidar las penas y fumare un Montecristo que tengo añejaito (8 años)...lol...Dejenmen saber...$$$:tu:ss:cb:r

Gracias mi gente...
Thank you guys....

chacho papa, vamos a ver lo que se puede hacer, yo voy hablar con mi tio para ver si el puede conseguir me una botella.

Have any of you tried the Don Collins cigars? www.don-collins.com
It is supposed to be 100% Puerto Rican tobacco all hand-rolled in their factory in Toa Alta, Puerto Rico.

Slimm...

I just order some Don Collins... Happen that yesterday in a our little iraq Herf...one of the guys invite a friend from Panama and this guys have some of the Don Collins... I try the "Puros Indios" .... Tremendo Cigar... awesme..good taste...you can feel that "Ron" (Rum) flavor...:tu:cb

Another NY-Rican here is waiting for a review of these sticks! If they are half way decent I'll get a box just for the novelty of it!

I didn't know the don collins were PR tobacco. May have to try those also. I'll see about trying one of the 965 this weekend.

Well, good to see the PR Herf is growing...

I cant say anything about the 965 but, the Don Collins "Puro Indio" is a good cigar... I smoke one that was age in a scotch barrel for 3 months...plus when they are rool they get the leaf sock on rum... Like some guys around say... doesnt matter what you smoke...mater is that you are enjoying it... and everybody have a diffenent taste...is all personal taste...

Me... I give it a 10 in a scale of 1 to 10....Thats just me...

Friend of mine has been on vacation in PR a few times and loves the cigars he gets down there (not sure of the make). He's promised me a couple next time we herf, I'll have to report on how they are.

I know there is a place in old san juan that rolls there own but have never had a chance to stop.

Thats Don Collins just down the street from hotel El Convento (one of my favorites). I just smoked and gifted the last of the ones I had. Perhaps this is an excuse for another trip ;)

Ryan

I brought my own last time I was in PR. I think I'll have to sample the local cigar flavor next time.

Asi!

In addition to Don Collins, (as Don Collins only sells Don Collins) there is a place on Fortaleza called The Cigar House. They have (last time I was there) one of the biggest selections of cigars I have ever seen. They had more Opus X's in one place than I have seen next to Moki's photos from the factory. If you go to PR check that place out too. There is one other place but it is very small (not far from the cigar house) and the selection not so good. Also duty free at SJU had a lot of La Aurora boxes. Damn I need to get back there.

Ryan

Boricuas... Si alguno de ustedes tienen un poquito de Pitorro que puedan conpartir... Mi papa me lo enviaba en bottellas de listering pero lamentablemente mi viejo murio... Aqui en Iraq caeria como anillito al deo para olvidar las penas y fumare un Montecristo que tengo añejaito (8 años)...lol...Dejenmen saber.
Man...I'm sorry I can't help you on this.

Back