Cigar: Punch Rare Corojo Magnum
Vitola: 5.1x54
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
Binder: Connecticut Broadleaf
Filler: Dominican, Nicaraguan, Honduran
Noticabbly absent: Corojo
Price: $8 at the B&M (CA), about $80 a box of 25 online

IMG_0085.jpg

Setting: Sun room, about 85 degrees, 6pm and having a Peach Snapple.

Pre-light: Cigar as a nice oily reddish brown wrapper with medium veins and a noticable seam. Cut was easy with the palio and the draw was just slightly resistant and left a sweet taste on the tongue. Cigar seemed fairly firmly packed without any real soft spots.

IMG_0090.jpg

First third: Lit up easily and the resting smoke from the toasting has a very pleasant aroma. Wish they made incense that smelled like this. Taste is initially fairly woody and slightly grassy. Smoke volume and body seem fairly medium and the strength on the mild side. Burn is a tad wavy but nothing that needs correcting yet. So far off to a decent start.

IMG_0092.jpg

Second third: Burn has corrected itself without any butane correction. Flavor is picking up a tad and the grassy flavor has gone away. The aftertaste is plesant and on the thin side. The ash seems fairly firm but has a nice hole right in the foot.

IMG_0093.jpg

Final third: Flavor has really picked up with some earthy as well as woody flavors. Body has picked up a bunch too. There is almost no spice to the cigar which is sometimes a nice thing. The ash has gotten a bit flakey, but I only ashed myself once, which is pretty good for me.

IMG_0095-1.jpg

Final thoughts: A good medium smoke with good strong flavors. I often reccommend these to newer smokers looking for something full flavored that's not going to kick their ass in the nicotine department. I find it funny that the Rare Corojo has a corojo so rare it's not even in the smoke.

Smoke again: Sure, I have a few more in the humidor
Buy again: At the B&M but probably not a box
Reccommend: Sure, already have

Nice. You should try the Pita. Smaller format lets more of the wrapper flavor come through and it has a bit more snap to the flavor.

very nice review. I bought a box about 2years ago & have 1or2 left. if u like them now wait unti they have a lil age on them. the flavoe really picks up. sounds like u had an enjoyable evening (; thumbs up to ya.

Nice. You should try the Pita. Smaller format lets more of the wrapper flavor come through and it has a bit more snap to the flavor.

The Pita is great! Some really nice flavors. Pita's were my first box! I will bring you one to the next herf, Steve. :ss Great review and pics. :tu

Thanks for the review and great photo's Ratters. The clarity is amazing in your photo's of this Punch. What camera did you use? :tu

Just got it yesterday. A Canon SD1100is. I had an SD300 but it broke camping last weekend after over three years of constant abuse. This one definitely takes sharper pictures. Plus it's only $214 shipped from Amazon.

And Bob, I won't say no to one of the Pitas. :ss

My new favorite for the year Punch Rare Corojo 2008's. I smoked two of the Rothchilds, bought a box of the El Doble's (big a$$ stick). I agree, they are rolled pretty tight. Gonna pick up one more box in a smaller RG next month.

Great pictures. I am a big fan of these. Have had several in different sizes and have to agree that the pita is probably had the best flavor. One of my first box purchases.

The first box of cigars I had was a gifted box of Punch RC Pitas, great smoke. But the Punch Rare Corojo Crystale is by far my new favorite of the line.

Thanks for the review:tu

Great photos!!! That camera is gonna get a lot of use!!!

Nice review!!! Thank you!!!

I like these!!!:tu

Great Review! The standard Punch line and Grand Cru have always been go to smokes, this makes we want to have the rare corojo I have somewhere in my humi.

Back