Purging - Catch 22

demiurgic

Don't Worry, Be Happy.
When I purge a stogie, towards the beginning, or towards the end, it goes out in a minute or two afterwards.

It's obviously because my breath has moisture when I blow thru the cigar gently, while lighting the end to watch the fireworks.

gotta purge right?

yet when I do, the cigar starts burning internally, without burning the wrapper (not sure of the term), and eventually goes out.

demi

really? never had this happen to me. Don't just blow on it with full breaths for minutes on end. A quick outwards puff should do the trick. A few seconds later give it a puff back in.

I try not to purge. especially in the fuller bodied cigars, some of the flavor seems to disappear with it. but when it gets harsh, i definitely give er a good purge.

I have never experienced this either. I usually purge first thing after lighting and periodically through the smoke and never had an issue with the gar going out on me from purging. I look forward to others feedback and see if they have this issue too.

I purge most long sticks, and not the short ones. For the smaller RG long ones (panatelas largas, ninfas, etc), it's just a little burst of air, like blowing on a dandelion. For the larger RG (churchill, DC), I blow for a few seconds with the ligher lit just beyond the tip of the red ash, and then continue blowing until the gases burn out--almost always results in refreshing the flavor of the cigar. Now on rare occasion I'll need to touch up the end a minute or two after purging, but that's just part of the fun.

I purge most long sticks, and not the short ones. For the smaller RG long ones (panatelas largas, ninfas, etc), it's just a little burst of air, like blowing on a dandelion. For the larger RG (churchill, DC), I blow for a few seconds with the ligher lit just beyond the tip of the red ash, and then continue blowing until the gases burn out--almost always results in refreshing the flavor of the cigar. Now on rare occasion I'll need to touch up the end a minute or two after purging, but that's just part of the fun.

Really, Barbie ... like blowing on a dandelion? :r

I purge about all of my sticks. Heck, it's mostly an unconscious thing now. I purge after a light, but before drawing anything through the cigar. I also purge probably about every third -- sometimes more, sometimes less. I purge big and small, fat and thin; but I've never really noticed any additional burn problems caused by this.

Of course, now I'll start paying closer attention over the next couple of days. ;)

I usually start by getting all the ash off then I will heat the end with my torch as if I was just lighting it. Deep breath and blow through the cigar steadily, then barely touch the end with the torch. If I get flame coming off the end right away I'll take the flame away and continue blowing air though the cigar until the flame goes out completely. I'll then set the cigar down in the ashtray for about a minute before starting to puff on it again.

I've never really had any relight issues with the cigar going out using this method unless I was already having them before I did it. I used burn off/purge a lot when I first learned about it. Anymore I have come to appreciate the concentrated flavors when smoking and also have discipined myself to allow longer intervals between puffs. That alone allows for less of the overly concentrated bitterness. Sometimes however you just need to do it but I find that for me it's maybe once per cigar if that anymore.
:2

the cigar starts burning internally, without burning the wrapper (not sure of the term)

That is one reason for purging, to heat the core, even out the burn, and burn off any half-burned tobacco and residual gunk that has been collecting.

and eventually goes out

You must be creating some kind of break in the burn, but it seems this has never been a problem for most. :confused:

Really, Barbie ... like blowing on a dandelion? :r

I purge about all of my sticks. Heck, it's mostly an unconscious thing now. I purge after a light, but before drawing anything through the cigar. I also purge probably about every third -- sometimes more, sometimes less. I purge big and small, fat and thin; but I've never really noticed any additional burn problems caused by this.

Of course, now I'll start paying closer attention over the next couple of days. ;)

Did you have Green Eggs and Ham for breakfast?

Never had this problem either.
This happens with all your cigars?
Are you lighting while you purge or no?
Its good to purge to get rid of the harshness sometimes, not sure what you are doing to make it tunnel like that.

I usually start by getting all the ash off then I will heat the end with my torch as if I was just lighting it. Deep breath and blow through the cigar steadily, then barely touch the end with the torch. If I get flame coming off the end right away I'll take the flame away and continue blowing air though the cigar until the flame goes out completely. I'll then set the cigar down in the ashtray for about a minute before starting to puff on it again.

I've never really had any relight issues with the cigar going out using this method unless I was already having them before I did it. I used burn off/purge a lot when I first learned about it. Anymore I have come to appreciate the concentrated flavors when smoking and also have discipined myself to allow longer intervals between puffs. That alone allows for less of the overly concentrated bitterness. Sometimes however you just need to do it but I find that for me it's maybe once per cigar if that anymore.

:tpd:

Although, there are certain cigars I have had the same problem with, not very many though.

yes, tunneling happens quite frequently actually. After reading your posts, I think it's because of
a. I am blowing too hard while purging.
this is true, I like that gunk OFF so I give um 'ell. not anymore. I will try the dandelion :tu technique.

b. I live in near 100% RH weather. It's damp here, period. This may make the stogies go out after they are resting in between puffs. I try for the puff a minute by the way, hard as it is.

Otherwise, I do not purge right at the beginning. should I do this while lighting the foot?

thanks!
demi

:tpd: That's pretty much exactly the way I purge & smoke, never had burn problems because of a purge.

I seem to have tunneling issues fairly often as well although family members sharing a cigar from the same humidor rarely have an issue. I don't think mine is from purging but wonder if it could be from not drawing in hard enough??

I don't usually purge until I've had an issue or relight.

What do you think?

Heres a good tip I got awhile back from cheaphumidors.

cheaphumidors.com said:
If your cigar starts to get a bitter taste to it as you near the
end, or perhaps if it went out and you are relighting, tap the coal
end to clear as much ash as possible. Then take a butane torch and
hold the flame so it goes directly into the ash. Hold it there
until the entire ash becomes white hot (generally about 10 - 15
seconds. Of course this does not need to be done if the cigar is already lit).

Then put the cigar into your mouth and put the flame a
short distance from the coal. Blow through the cigar fairly hard
(no, we're not trying to launch the white hot coal to the other
side of the room). When you start blowing you will create a
yellowish-orange flare. This color will change as you continue to
blow. When the flare goes to blue or clear, the cigar is ready to
smoke. There shouild be very little harshness . It should taste
GOOD!!

Back