Puro Indios Viejo

Avyer

Young Ape
While I am new to cigars all the ones I've tried have been good till now.

This Viejo had been resting since march and due to it's larger size ( I had the 6.5) I figured I'd burn it up to make room as my humi is pretty full. I couldn't make it past an inch. The constuction is the worst I've seen yet. Wrapper felt like it was falling off even before I cut the cap. The draw was like a drinking straw, not something I've come to like, I like a bit of resistence in the draw. I figured I'd push on, toasted the foot and lit.

First puff was a bit bitter, but I'd figure it would settle down. I had a RyL Cedro #2 start out a bit bitter yesterday, but it settled and was great. This Puros was not like my smoke yesterday. It did not settle, and instead a sweetness came over and tasted like it was trying to smother the bitterness. (if that makes any since) I purged it and let it rest for a minute, and tried once agian. The purging had gotten rid of the sweetness, but the bitterness persisted. I couldn't make it to the second 1/3 to see if it was going to get better or not. The only thing I can correlate this smoke to is when I was a dumb kid running around rolling random leaves and lighting those up.

I know this isn't much of a "real" review, but I was just so disgusted by it I had to share.

MAn I hate to hear it. For some reason I am always looking to give PI the benefit of the doubt. I have not had great experiences. I know it is a Cigar Aficionado, but the Feb issue gave the Viejo Churchill an 89 rating. Oh BTW, equal to the Tatuaje Reserva churchill which also got an 89 in the same issue :r. I picked up two Viejo Churchills back in March. I hope my experience is a little better.

SIS (Sorry it Sucked),

BillyBarue

it is one of my favorite smokes. it's really an acquired the taste. the viejo has some pretty unique flavors that they take a while to appreciate. It is a pretty complex and rich smoke.

I had smoked a Viejo and while I didn't have the construction problems you had, it didn't have much taste. It was neither pleasant nor offensive This cigar pretty much did nothing.

:pp Yippee there is hope for this one yet.

Can you guys fill me in on the difference, if there is one, between the Viejos and the Viejo 99's?? Are they the same cigar.

BillyBarue

I had smoked a Viejo and while I didn't have the construction problems you had, it didn't have much taste. It was neither pleasant nor offensive This cigar pretty much did nothing.

Maduro or Natural - Do you remember??

Werd. One of the most boring cigar lines I have ever had. I haven't had one in since the viejo came out. Good quality, just flat out bland. Maybe they have gotten better.

I complained about the construction issues with PI in another forum (same as you, loose wraps that burned crappy and drew with little resistance).....they were nice enough to send me a couple of free samplers. What's ironic is that they make a big deal in their ads about Reyes checking every stick that leaves the factory.

I love the taste with these but they have had some construction problems. I had the wrapper on one of these litterly explode when I lit it. When they are good they are delicious when they aren't they are garbage. I really like the maximas too but a bit of the same problem.

I complained about the construction issues with PI in another forum (same as you, loose wraps that burned crappy and drew with little resistance).....they were nice enough to send me a couple of free samplers. What's ironic is that they make a big deal in their ads about Reyes checking every stick that leaves the factory.

That's pretty impressive for a man who is blind and has no sense of taste or smell. :D

I'm not a total "CA" mark, but I generally agree with their ratings. That being said, I am dying to try the 1999 No. 4 Especial. Rated a 91 and was in the top 25 for 2005. Only 7500 were made and if anyone has one lying around, I'll make it worth your time to trade. I've never found one.

That's pretty impressive for a man who is blind and has no sense of taste or smell. :D

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Profiles/Cigar_Stars_Profile/0,2547,222,00.html

Q: You personally check every cigar that's made in your factory?

A: One by one.

Q: But how many do you make a day?

A: We do 30,000 to 40,000 a day.

Q: You check every one?

A: Yes.

Q: How?

A: I pick up a bunch of 50, and I can see if it's short an ounce or over an ounce. When I start during the night, I start with the smaller cigars and work up to the bigger cigars—that way I go from the lighter cigars to the heavier cigars.
--------------
That's kinda hard to believe. He needs to use those draw machines that Rocky and others are using.

:al

Last edited:
Back