Puros Indios Maxima Reserva

edisonbird

SilverBack
[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-29-02 AT 05:32 PM (CDT)]I opened my mail today, and viola, there it was, my first Maxima Reserva by Puros Indios. OPT was kind enough to send me one of the Media Coronas. What a beautiful looking vitola, the same size as the Especial #4. A dark brown mottled wrapper that looked like a Rosado only a little darker. The construction was perfect with a large well applied cap. There is a rather attractive looking new band on this stogie that was quite different from the normal PI. I like it. The pre light aroma and draw, after a punch cut, had tones of caramel, coffee and chocolate. I was going to let it rest in the humi for a few days, but the looks and the aromatic draw convinced me to try it now. Easy to light after a good toasting, with a good straight burn all the way to the nub. Construction was excellent. The first few puffs let me know that this was a lot stronger than the normal Puros Indios. A straight exhale through the nose and my nose hairs were on end and my sinuses were clear. I love that feeling. The same flavor that I experienced in the pre light draw stayed with the cigar till it burned my fingers and I had to put it down. Not quite as strong as a VSG, but certainly on a par with the CAO Extreme. It finished with a strong hint of pepper and my lips and tongue numbed out nicely. Not quite the same flavor as I am used to with ISOMs, but extremely pleasant.. 92 Send me a box OPT.:9 :9 :9 :9 :9

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-01-02 AT 10:22 PM (CDT)]First of all, thanks OPT for your generosity in sending this excelent cigar. I agree with Rick, this was a great smoke. I loved the way it smoked, the ash was a nice light grey/white, and the burn was perfect all the way to the end of the smoke. When I flicked the ash, the fire was a perfect little cone, obviously a carefully constructed cigar. One of those that makes you sit and marvel at how well it was put together. The taste was equally enjoyable. It started creamy and smooth, but at the same time a lot stronger than the other Puros Indios products I've tried. I picked up flavors of coffee and cocoa, but the predominant taste was good old fashioned tobacco, and God I love that! The finish was spicy but not overpowering, it numbed the tongue and lips, but not in a hot way, more of a laid back, playful tease of spice. I was sorry to see it go and immediately wished I had another.
I tend to smoke my cigars with coffee while I watch my toddler play in the yard. When my son is playing, and the coffee is hot, fresh and strong, and the cigar is good.........

Ahhh..............

My little corner of the planet seems like a completely harmonious place. All the elements were there tonight, and the cigar was right in tune.

Put me down for a box when they become available.

And thanks again OPT, you helped make the day!

Indios Maxima Reserva
Puros Indios Maxima Reserve  a Review by Hbooker

The Cigar I am reviewing is the Indios Maxima Reserva.
This one was the Media Corona

The wrapper was a smooth oily wrapper colored a mottled deep brown, I noticed a fine leaf vein. It felt solid in construction. It had a pre-light aroma of a rich and strong cigar similar to some ultra premiums I have sampled in the past. As I viewed the open end I noticed 3 types of distinct tobacco it contained.  Construction – appearance it rates an A+This cigar simply looks like it will be a treat. I clipped the cigar and walked around the house enjoying a rather unique flavor through the pre light draw, the draw itself was not too labored, it was a medium draw.
When I toasted the end I was surprised to notice such a mild aroma that was unlike any other cigar I have toasted it was almost a delicate aroma - confusing considering this cigar smelled so strong. I started to worry where did that strong smell go?

When I lit it I was presented a rather smooth and Strong first few puffs. A rich and distinct pleasure and yes the Strong and robust flavor was certainly present.
The Ash on this Cigar Started at a stark almost white then changed to a light grey, it was solid also not dropping nor flaking. The smoke volume was pretty decent, it seemed that this cigar may do a bit better if kept at 65 to 68% humidity, as I keep my box at 70-70.
Overall I was presented with a rather unique rich smoke. There where tell tale signs of a few different flavors. A couple inches into this the smoke flavor began to change, and that was surprising as it was already strong the smoke mellowed, but didn't flatten like some other brands.  At that point I settled back on my porch listening to the fountain on a spring evening and enjoyed it, while I smoked it my wife also tried it also. She said she wanted to try it because it had such a mild aroma, when she did try it she said wow that is rather robust for such a mild smell. It developed 1 minor burn issue, that required a short touch up then it burned flawlessly.

As it got to the finish nearing the end it was a truly robust and unique flavor. It truly was a multi dimensional treat. It wasn’t strictly peppery like other strong smokes. I nubbed this one and at that point I pretty much certainly felt this cigars impact. Not quite kicking my but but it did let me take notice I just had a real cigar.The memory flavor (after the smoke) that was quite enjoyable.

As I write this I am thinking about the IMR. I am glad I was able to sample this cigar I would gladly share one with my herfing buddies.
I have decided to add this cigar to my line-up, I submit my review for your inspection. As I am a lover of truly stronger smokes. If you have a chance to try these I would recommend that you do. Some folks would say they need a little Humidor time, but I was not dissatisfied at all.

Back