Pushing my dad down the slope

DennisP

Lowland Gorilla
If it wasn't for my dad I may not be a cigar smoker. I remember as a kid he'd occasionally smoke cigars, the strongest memories would be on the 4th of July and he'd use it to help light the fireworks. There were other times he'd smoke, but usually special occasion, golfing, etc.

I smoked my first cigar around the age of 18, smack dab in the middle of the cigar boom and partly because I had seen him. I remember going to Canada after HS graduation and buying some CCs, which I brought back and smoked with him on the 4th together, my first Cohiba.

Despite having a humidor and smoking for a while, he never took the hobby too seriously. His humidor was probably always way off, he still smokes many cigars that now make me cringe (but aren't dog rockets) and he really loves the 10 cigar samplers he can pick up for cheap from Thompson's because he recognizes a few names.

But, things have been changing recently. He received a larger used humidor from his BIL. I got him to place a good sized order of CCs because of a sale on singles. Then he came to visit last week. We fired up my first ever Anejo Shark the first night followed by some Trini Reyes. The next day I helped him order beads and a digital hygro, although he had a tough time understanding getting 65% instead of 70%. We smoked a few more cigars while he was here and he told me his beads arrived last night.

Sure was enjoyable and hopefully I can push him a little further. :D

Let me know if you need some wax.... :r

That's gotta be sooooooooooooooo cool....smokin' with your dad. Be sure to cherish every moment my friend!! :tu

That is Awesome !! It's always great to just chill out with the Pops and smoke on a (______}}}~~~ stogie.

Just think of the stuff you can get him for father's day. Palio cutter, torch lighter. No more ties from you. :tu

I never got the opportunity to do that with my dad... like Scott (fishforfree) said, cherish it! :ss

I also got into smoking because of my dad, or should I say dads? My father and step-father both originally helped push my down the slope (separately) and once I got to the bottom I rode the chairlift back to the top and have pushed them so far down they might never recover:ss.

This is great, Dennis. I am hoping to enjoy a similar experience with my dad in a week. I'm heading down to North Carolina to spend the weekend with him for the first time since he & my mom split up a couple years ago. He's a heavy cigarette smoker, and I'm hoping to spur some interest in cigars. We've never really had a hobby to share.

A father and son bonding experience is very memorable. Time to shove my dad down the slope as well. :r

Back