Q: What is the Binder Made up of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brigey

WAR EAGLE!
Here is a question for the more knowledable BOTL out there.

I know that I have heard this before but if the wrapper adds 50 - 60 % of the cigar's flavor and the filler tobaccos add 40 - 50% of the cigar's flavor, and the binder does not add to the flavor, what is it made of that it doesn't change the overall essence to the cigar? I know that it is tobacco but why wouldn't it change the cigar flavor? What is it exactly that it adds nothing or takes away nothing from the flavor of the cigar?

Seems simple but if it is tobacco why wouldn't it change the essence of the cigar?:confused:

Here is a question for the more knowledable BOTL out there.

I know that I have heard this before but if the wrapper adds 50 - 60 % of the cigar's flavor and the filler tobaccos add 40 - 50% of the cigar's flavor, and the binder does not add to the flavor, what is it made of that it doesn't change the overall essence to the cigar? I know that it is tobacco but why wouldn't it change the cigar flavor? What is it exactly that it adds nothing or takes away nothing from the flavor of the cigar?

Seems simple but if it is tobacco why wouldn't it change the essence of the cigar?:confused:

I think when they talk about how much flavor parts of the cigar contribute, the filler and binder is usually bunched into the same group. So I believe 50-60 % is wrapper and 40 - 50 % is filler/binder.

That's just the way it was explained to me.

Often the binder is wrapper tobacco that isn't aesthetically pleasing enough to make the grade.

I recently read an article saying why the Connecticut shade wrapper is so popular.

It is nearly completely flavor neutral and is very appealing in appearance.

I recently read an article saying why the Connecticut shade wrapper is so popular.

It is nearly completely flavor neutral and is very appealing in appearance.
Connecticut wrappers always taste tinny and bitter to me.
Does anyone else get that?

That's always the taste I get when I smoke Habana 2000 wrappers (especially the first H2000 runs; they tasted like pennies).

A binder leaf can often change the flavor of a wrapper leaf, but most often they are blended to remain very neutral. I find the La Aurora Preferidos, especially the Blue...the Connecticut wrapper on that stick is pretty flavorless until it is paired with the barrel aged binder behind it...just my opinion...

The binder is a leaf of tobacco that is rolled around the filler, giving birth to the round shape the cigar's filler is held in.

Binders also contribute to the cigar's flavor, and certain binders are used specifically from cigar line to cigar line, to adhere to the cigar's "recipe", or "blend".

Binders are usually a stronger, thicker tobacco leaf than the wrapper, which is a thinner, delicate, flavorful leaf.

I think when they talk about how much flavor parts of the cigar contribute, the filler and binder is usually bunched into the same group. So I believe 50-60 % is wrapper and 40 - 50 % is filler/binder.

That's just the way it was explained to me.

Bobb,

I was going to disagree with you at first until I came across this site which indicates,....:)

Cigar Anatomy

Wrapper
Responsible for aroma and appearance, the wrapper is a high quality tobacco leaf that encloses the binder and filler. The leaf should ideally feel thick and oily. The darker the color of the wrapper, the sweeter and stronger the flavor and the greater the oil and sugar content will be.

Light wrappers include Connecticut, Natural and Colorado Claro. Popular varieties of dark include Colorado, Colorado Maduro, Maduro and Oscuro.

Filler
The filler is a unique blend of tobacco leaves rolled into the center of the cigar. Originating at the middle section or base of the tobacco plant, the leaves partially determine how strong the cigar will taste and how distinctive the flavor. The two types of fillers include the long, which is an entire leaf rolled into the cigar, and a short, consisting of a variety of tobacco leaf scraps.

Bind
The binder is a leaf that holds the filler, or tobacco leaves, which are then enclosed into the wrapper. It originates from the top of the tobacco plant, where the extra sun exposure creates a strong flavor. Depending on the manufacturer, some use the binder as a filler to increase the flavor intensity of the cigar.

It is this unique blend of wrappers, binders and fillers that determine the overall flavor of the cigar. Those made in the DR are considered an art form and include such world recognized brands as Arturo Fuente, Carbonell, Juan Clemente, La Aurora, León Jimenes, Montecristo, Romeo y Julietas and Thiriet Mercedes.

Source:
http://www.godominicanrepublic.com/main.asp?xmlpath=/DominicanRepublic/About/ArtsCultureSports/Cigars/cigars_en.xml

This is what I originally heard about the binder leaf...

A binder leaf can often change the flavor of a wrapper leaf, but most often they are blended to remain very neutral. I find the La Aurora Preferidos, especially the Blue...the Connecticut wrapper on that stick is pretty flavorless until it is paired with the barrel aged binder behind it...just my opinion...

Then I came across this information about the binder...

Definition: The binder is a tobacco leaf, usually having little or no flavor, which is used to bind and contain the filler tobacco inside of a cigar. Another tobacco leaf, called a wrapper, is wrapped around the outside of the binder to complete the cigar. Sometimes, to give a cigar more flavor, a cigar manufacturer will use a wrapper leaf as a binder. Since wrapper leaf is the most expensive tobacco used in a cigar, expect to pay more for a cigar which uses two wrappers.

Source: http://cigars.about.com/od/glossary/g/0062303b.htm

The binder is a leaf of tobacco that is rolled around the filler, giving birth to the round shape the cigar's filler is held in.

Binders also contribute to the cigar's flavor, and certain binders are used specifically from cigar line to cigar line, to adhere to the cigar's "recipe", or "blend".

Binders are usually a stronger, thicker tobacco leaf than the wrapper, which is a thinner, delicate, flavorful leaf.

I think you came closer to answering my original question "what is it made of that it doesn't change the overall essence to the cigar?" Well actually it can change the overall essence of the flavor of the cigar....

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Fuente, Kelner and Carrillo often talk about creating cigars that make us believe in an unalterably consistent blend, but what they are actually saying is that the consumers' taste buds are always being fooled. Two Red Delicious apples never taste exactly the same, but we've become accustomed to, and believe in, a certain taste attached to that piece of fruit. Likewise, no two cigars taste exactly the same, but adding a stronger tobacco one year and a weaker one the next to achieve the same "balance" creates the illusion of consistency-no such thing ever really exists. [/FONT]

Achieving this balance is also complex; there are an infinite number of variables that can alter the taste of any blend. Kelner categorizes just ten: soil, tobacco variety, climate, ground condition, curing, the harvester, fermentation, aging, manufacture of the cigar and the humidity of the cigar. But not all makers agree. The list of variables inevitably expands and soon becomes unfathomable. The only agreements among makers seem to be that a wrapper has the greatest potential impact on nuances (Fuente calls these "overtones" and "undertones") of taste, and filler (the heart of the cigar) determines overall strength or weakness (or fullness of body). "With a neutral wrapper," such as Cameroon, according to Kelner, "it can be compensated for with a filler and binder that has more flavor and especially more aroma." Kelner says that "Connecticut wrapper [contributes] to about 20 percent of the flavor, with Cameroon at about 5 percent." Of course he qualifies his numbers, saying that a stronger binder and filler will have a dissipating effect on this 20 percent figure, and a cigar with a larger ring gauge will be far less affected by wrapper taste: the ratio of filler to wrapper is far greater in a Churchill than in a Lancero-sized cigar.

Source: http://ryphs.com/cigarconnoisseurs/tasteflavor.php

There is more information at each of the sites I quoted in my previous posts.:tu

You've never tasted copper before? And binder leaf is normally just fugly wrapper leafs, not a "thicker" leaf as you say.

You need to post less and read more :2
Dude...I have tasted copper before...too bad pennies are made of mostly zinc..dum dum..I can't believe you think pennies are made copper... :r:r:r:r:r:r:r:r:r:r:r

Just my zinc..:2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back