question about cigars outside the USA on vacation

SuperDave

Maturing Primate
This Texan is going on vacation next week to Israel. :cb Do any of you traveling gorillas have any advice to offer pertaining to buying premium NC cigars in a duty-free shop or in a foreign country and bringing them back into the USA? Can a guy save a few bucks on a couple of boxes this way?

Also anyone know a place to get a couple of good cigars in the area around Old Jerusalem, or should I plan to carry my own from home? I plan to leave the lighter at home and just use matches there while traveling. Will probably pack the cigar cutter in the suitcase to use after I get there (is this a good, or bad, idea?) Anything else I should think about or plan for to insure a couple of good stogie moments?:mn

This Texan is going on vacation next week to Israel. :cb Do any of you traveling gorillas have any advice to offer pertaining to buying premium NC cigars in a duty-free shop or in a foreign country and bringing them back into the USA? Can a guy save a few bucks on a couple of boxes this way?

Also anyone know a place to get a couple of good cigars in the area around Old Jerusalem, or should I plan to carry my own from home? I plan to leave the lighter at home and just use matches there while traveling. Will probably pack the cigar cutter in the suitcase to use after I get there (is this a good, or bad, idea?) Anything else I should think about or plan for to insure a couple of good stogie moments?:mn

Here is what US Customs has to say about that. Cubans...
Clicky

De-banded? maybe. I guess they would fall under this (Non-Cuban) category.

Last edited:
I was able to carry my cigar cutter in my carry on last November to Europe.

Hope this helps!

He asked about NC not CC, I am no expert but I don't see any problems with this. I am not sure if you will get any better deal than the internet offers, since in most of the cases the taxes are not there anyways.:2

well I guess depending on your local taxes you may save a few bucks? I know for sure as a NYer when I come back from an overseas trip I make it a point to pick up a carton of cigarettes for my smoker friends at the duty free shop etc before heading back

In my limited experience with Airport Duty Free shops, the pricing on Non-Cuban cigars are beaten by my local B&Ms.

prices and choices at duty-free shops not that good

I made the trip; carried my own stogies, and glad I did take my own. Cigar shops in Israel were few and far between, and inconvient to travel to in the short time I was there. Duty-free shops in Newark airport didn't offer many choices, and prices were higher than internet sites.

Re: prices and choices at duty-free shops not that good

I waana know what those cigars are doing vacationing outside the country!

I smoked a variety of cigars during my cruise last week and had no problem going through customs or security. I had 3 butane lighters, a cigar cutter and a variety of NC cigars which I carried in an aluminum travel case. :tu

I flew to Riviera Maya, Mexico last week. The NCs I brought flew a seperate flight, since the TSA decided to hold my bag back and search it. Yet they didn't bother to open up the Mayorga box I was storing the cigars in.

Back