Question about cigars that come in glass tubes

Rev2010

Maturing Primate
I know in the past I've read a lot of people say they stick their cigars in their humi's the way they came. So if they're in cellophane or in plastic or glass tubes that's how they keep them.

Well, I just bought a box of 10 Bolivar Suntuoso En Tubos and was wondering something. If they're in glass tubes with a corked plastic cap... how would they receive the proper humidity? I'm just thinking it might he hard for the humi's moist air to get inside the tubes. I would simply take them out of the glass tubes but they do offer some pretty sweet presentation! :) So, anyone know the specifics behind this? (ie. does the humidity still get in or should I be removing them from their glass tubes?)

Rev.

I usually just take the stopper off and then put the cigars in the humi still in the tubes. I keep the caps so if I want to carry the smokes somewhere I can just replace it. :tu

I keep them in their tubes!:tu

My feeling is if the tube is sealed then the humidity is in there and if it isn't sealed the humidity from my humi will get in there!:2

Hmm... taking off the caps does sound like a good idea. I can keep the caps stored somewhere for any time I decide I want to carry one with me somewhere. Cool, works for me.

Rev.

I would leave them on. I am not sure if sealed tubed cigars are like sealed tins of pipe tobacco and maybe someone can answer but with a sealed tin of pipe tobacco it is aging in an aerobic phase which is slow but much better. Once you introduce air that aging stops and while it will continue to age with air it will not be the same.

Here's the straight skinny. It's very difficult to make a container completely air tight, especially over a long period of time. A glass test tube with an organic cork stuffed in the end doesn't stand a chance, even if it has a shrink-wrap band or tape around the cork. Over time the air will exchange in the tube due to the changes in barometric pressure. The air will actually be “pumped” in and out of the tube as the atmospheric pressure goes up and down. Any barometer will show you just how much the air pressure changes with the weather.

The bottom line: Keep the stogies in your humi, in the tubes, with the corks on. They’ll maintain whatever humidity you have in your humidor.

Here's the straight skinny. It's very difficult to make a container completely air tight, especially over a long period of time. A glass test tube with an organic cork stuffed in the end doesn't stand a chance, even if it has a shrink-wrap band or tape around the cork. Over time the air will exchange in the tube due to the changes in barometric pressure. The air will actually be “pumped” in and out of the tube as the atmospheric pressure goes up and down. Any barometer will show you just how much the air pressure changes with the weather.

The bottom line: Keep the stogies in your humi, in the tubes, with the corks on. They’ll maintain whatever humidity you have in your humidor.

I like your answer Tim!!!:tu

Plus those stogies are still ready to be carried away and you don't have to find the cap!!!;)

I keep them in their tubes!:tu

My feeling is if the tube is sealed then the humidity is in there and if it isn't sealed the humidity from my humi will get in there!:2

:tpd: I figure if less air is exchanged they will just age slower.

:tpd::tpd::tpd::tpd::tpd::tpd:

Hey Tim, thanks so much for your answer! Of course, I let simple science escape my mind! :sl. Unfortunately... it turned out my small humi is just a bit too small for the Colosale tubes to fit anyway! They fit on one end but I guess my humi isn't perfectly square cause it's just too tight near the middle. So, I decided to take 5 out of the tubes and place them in my humi. I left 5 in their glass tubes sitting in their box.

The thing that confused me when I opened the box this evening was that Bovliar writes on the inside flap, "They're sealed in air tight tubes to keep them fresh" or something along those lines. I thought... "wait... a cork isn't completely air tight". So anyhow, I figure after I go through a few I'll just put the next five in.

Rev.

Back