Question about travel humis/otter boxes

Laserjock

Young Ape
I just want a small 5 count style travel humi for some short trips and was wondering how long cigars will stay in good condition if kept closed?

Sorry if that is a stupid question, but I don't have any experience with these things.

Thanks!

I've kept cigars in otterboxes for close to two weeks with no ill effects. Just like your home humidor, the better-humidified they are going in and the more cigars in there, the longer they'll stay. I also often place mine in individual bags before placing them in the travel humidor.

yea, the sealed containers, even small tupperware containers, will maintain RH for at least a week as long as it's not being opened constantly.

I guess they could go alone, but I put a tube of 65RH beads with mine. Takes the room for one cigar, but pending on the size you get, it probably won't matter.

the only thing that might be a concern with putting beads or foam in with a small travel unit, is that rapid temperature changes could cause the RH to go crazy on you, which you don't really want.

for example i went camping recently, and there were times when it got quite hot during the day, and the higher the temp gets the more moisture the air needs to absorb to maintain the same RH. if you just pack the stogies, the temperature can fluxuate without worry of the smokes taking on or releasing too much moisture.

I would also be careful that the beads don't touch the foam in the otterbox, as I would fear the potential for mold if the foam got too wet.

I've kept cigars in otterboxes for close to two weeks with no ill effects. Just like your home humidor, the better-humidified they are going in and the more cigars in there, the longer they'll stay. I also often place mine in individual bags before placing them in the travel humidor.

:tpd:

You also should not need ant humidification device. These are pretty dam tight cases. They hold everything in.:tu

:confused: Could you explain that further, how would the beads get the foam too wet? :confused:

Many people keep the beads in the drawstring bags sold by Heartfelt. The bags are porous. The beads are wet. The bag rests on the foam. Moisture from the beads inside the bag escape through the porous material of the bag. The foam becomes wet. ;)

the beads shouldn't have any moisture on them, though, only inside the crystaline structure, so it wouldn't be transfering the moisture directly into the foam any more than it does into the air; it wouldn't matter if it was in direct contact with the foam or not.

IIRC, even Mark has said that beads should be fine in direct contact with cigars. If having them touch the foam would get it too wet, I can only imagine what it would do to the cigars.

Wrap each cigar in ceranwrap, then put in a zip lock with a humid pouch. You'll be all set for at least a week and it's a virtually free solution.

the beads shouldn't have any moisture on them, though, only inside the crystaline structure, so it wouldn't be transfering the moisture directly into the foam any more than it does into the air; it wouldn't matter if it was in direct contact with the foam or not.

IIRC, even Mark has said that beads should be fine in direct contact with cigars. If having them touch the foam would get it too wet, I can only imagine what it would do to the cigars.

My bags get the cedar wet if I lay them down in the humi directly on the wood. Perhaps all my 5 pounds of beads are defective.

When I was using a 1/2 lb bag, I layed it directly on the wood. The only time I ever saw the wood get damp was right after I charged the beads; which makes sense as they would have still had some water on the outside of them.

When I was using a 1/2 lb bag, I layed it directly on the wood. The only time I ever saw the wood get damp was right after I charged the beads; which makes sense as they would have still had some water on the outside of them.

Yup....that's my experience too. I am just afraid if the foam gets wet it may create mold. Maybe I am just paranoid. ;)

My travel humi is airtight as proven by it needing a screwdriver to open after a flight from Brazil. I believe what has been said about no humidification is needed for 10 days or less, but still set mine up in a manner I feel is safe.

I bought a small humidification sheet from Heartfelt and stick it in my humi for a week or so before I travel so it takes in some humidity. It takes up no space as it's a sheet, and I am told it works exactly the same as the beads.

I peel back the foam and stick it behind the foam, then put everything back all nice like and add favorite cigars and hit the road.:z

I probably would get the same results using no humidification, but I have a knack of complicating things that really are simple.

I use the humidity sheets that Heartfelt sells. I sit them in the bottom of cooler to recharge and then put them behind a foam sheet in the otter box.

Back