Quick cooler question

OtterAKL4987

Blathering Elite Wannabe
I just set up a 48 QT cooler today (I know, go bigger but I'm restraining myself to a 48 for monetary reasons). I couldn't find an Oust fan to save my life. Do I need one for only a 48 QT and if so, where did you find them? Thanks.

I just set up a 48 QT cooler today (I know, go bigger but I'm restraining myself to a 48 for monetary reasons). I couldn't find an Oust fan to save my life. Do I need one for only a 48 QT and if so, where did you find them? Thanks.

I have a 150 qt cooler, without a fan. You should be ok without one.

Have you tried Walmart for the fans? That's the only place I can think of.

they're difficult to find, someone mentioned that they had been discontinued by oust, but I don't know how true this is

I think i have the same 48 qt. is it red?

I'm debating if i want to flip it vertical and make some shelves to put in it....there's no room for anything w/ it laying flat!

edit: oh and I have a gladware thing of heartfelt beads in there, w/ a radioshack thermometer/hygrometer

they're difficult to find, someone mentioned that they had been discontinued by oust, but I don't know how true this is

I mentioned that and don't even know how true it is. Just what I was told.

I had a helluva time finding one and went to a TON of different locations. Some had the bin tags still up that indicated a 'Sale' price and said discontinued. The place that I finally found them had them on a 'Close-Out Sale' too. The clerk said that they had been discontinued.

I have a hard time imagining that they'd just axe them.

Otter, I just noticed that you're in Columbia. Ya got Dierbergs out there?
That's where I finally found them.

I mentioned that and don't even know how true it is. Just what I was told.

I had a helluva time finding one and went to a TON of different locations. Some had the bin tags still up that indicated a 'Sale' price and said discontinued. The place that I finally found them had them on a 'Close-Out Sale' too. The clerk said that they had been discontinued.

I have a hard time imagining that they'd just axe them.

Otter, I just noticed that you're in Columbia. Ya got Dierbergs out there?
That's where I finally found them.

I don't out here (at Mizzou) but there is one right by my house in Chesterfield. Have to check it out next time I'm home. Thanks.

I was able to buy an oust fan at my local wallgreens recently. I plan to look for another when I'm there again.

I recommend them even for small coolers as it helps eliminate dead zones.

I think i have the same 48 qt. is it red?

I'm debating if i want to flip it vertical and make some shelves to put in it....there's no room for anything w/ it laying flat!

edit: oh and I have a gladware thing of heartfelt beads in there, w/ a radioshack thermometer/hygrometer

The one I have is like a forest green from Wal-Mart. I have the beads and the Radioshack hyrgometer/thermometer similar to you. FWIW, I have no interest in trying to make shelves. I can get empty boxes from the B&M that are wood (El Rico Habano) for $1, so that works for me. :tu

Well, after exhaustive search round two I have some good news and some bad news.

Good news: I found one! Got it at Gerbes (local grocery store). for just under $8.

Bad news: They ARE definitely discontinued by Oust. Big bummer there.

Good luck to the rest of you!

The one I have is like a forest green from Wal-Mart. I have the beads and the Radioshack hyrgometer/thermometer similar to you. FWIW, I have no interest in trying to make shelves. I can get empty boxes from the B&M that are wood (El Rico Habano) for $1, so that works for me. :tu

i get boxes too, for cedar, im just thinking of shelves for organization and maximized space:ss

i get boxes too, for cedar, im just thinking of shelves for organization and maximized space:ss

IMHO, while putting shelves in a cooler, lining with cedar, etc., etc., may look nice, it significantly cuts down your storage space. If you are storing boxes there will be enough cedar in the boxes the cigars come in:2:2

For me it's a toss-up. I have a small cooler (48 qt.) and I can get more in it without the shelves, but I have to pull all the boxes out to get at the ones on the bottom. I could use a slightly larger cooler with shelves to solve that problem, but I don't think I'd get any more cigars in it. I wish I had room for one of those 165 qt. beasts - that way I could have shelves and room for more cigars...

On the fan topic, I didn't find that the oust fan moved enough air. I put a cpu fan on a timer that runs 30 min. every 3 hours and the humidifier doesn't seem to have to work as hard anymore. :2

cooleryb2.jpg

For me it's a toss-up. I have a small cooler (48 qt.) and I can get more in it without the shelves, but I have to pull all the boxes out to get at the ones on the bottom. I could use a slightly larger cooler with shelves to solve that problem, but I don't think I'd get any more cigars in it. I wish I had room for one of those 165 qt. beasts - that way I could have shelves and room for more cigars...

On the fan topic, I didn't find that the oust fan moved enough air. I put a cpu fan on a timer that runs 30 min. every 3 hours and the humidifier doesn't seem to have to work as hard anymore. :2

cooleryb2.jpg

:dr that is an amazing sight!

Can you provide details on the fan and timer setup?
I'd like to do something similar but don't know how to set it up.

Can you provide details on the fan and timer setup?
I'd like to do something similar but don't know how to set it up.

Here's a good thread explaining the procedure:

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?p=85864

I however am lazy. I already had a usb powered fan, so I got an ac adapter that I could plug it into, and then I got a timer that allows multiple on/off settings per day, similar to the one in the thread above but I got a digital one.

Let me know if you need more detailed info.

Back