Quick Question for all.

AsetOne

Gorilla
Lately after a lot of reading here and another forum i have come to the conclusion that many BOTL's hold pre embargo cigars in high regard.

my question is what makes a pre embargo smoke so desirable?
is it just becuse they are pre embargo, or were they actually made better back then?
or is it that a pre embargo cigar is legal in the US???

any info would be appreciated :)

James

I have a friend who paid $85 for a single pre-embargo cigar. To this day he has no idea what he smoked, but swears it was the best cigar he has ever smoked. I believe that was the best cigar he has ever smoked because he drools when he speaks of that cigar.

When we hang out herfin' cigars, he only smokes one brand of cigar, he only trusts one brand, and he compares every cigar to that brand. I personally will not take his advice on cigars. I like full body cigars and he only likes mild. I like to try many different cigars, he only smokes that one brand. He has smoked longer than I, yet he cannot taste anything in his cigars, he only wants the nicotine, then lights up a cigarette after smoking a cigar.

I have not smoked a pre-embargo cigar. I have seen some but they look to be terribly constructed and not well kept. I was told recently about a place that sells them for $15 each, I am not sure if they are worth it, heck I do not know if they are real. Maybe it is the hype of age, yet worthless if not kept properly. I would guess that since they are legal that would add another sense of hype.

My tastes are far different from my friend's, they are different from yours. What it really comes down to, try for yourself and decide if they are worth it. Would I smoke one if given the chance? Of course, I will not turn down a cigar.

I've smoked a $35 GOF
I've smoked a $25 Opus X
I've smoked a Anejo 77
A PAM 26
A Diamond Crown Stanford 90th Maximus
You get the picture...
The best cigar I've ever smoked was a $5 cigar with friends sharing the experience. Now don't get me wrong a good cigar is a good cigar. But, smoking with my B&SOTL makes any good cigar a great cigar. :2

I heard this somewhere...smoke what you like.

If the two inches are permanent and you need it, that is well worth it. LOL

Otherwise, I agree with Sr Mike whose friend does not seem to be a real connoisseur. What's his go-to brand by the way?

Till

Back