Refilling Oasis Xl

etw926

Maturing Primate
How much distilled water should be put in the refill cartridge? Should the sponge just be wet or should you be able to see water in the cartidge?

I usually refill to the point that water doesn't come out of the cartridge when I turn it over. Fill the cartridge a little at a time and give the foam a chance to absorb the water. Hope this helps. Oh, and of course distilled water only.

I usually refill to the point that water doesn't come out of the cartridge when I turn it over. Fill the cartridge a little at a time and give the foam a chance to absorb the water. Hope this helps. Oh, and of course distilled water only.

:tpd: Love the CO XL

Ditto,
But when I had my Oasis, I would overfill it purposely and let it sit for a while absorbing as much as possible. I would later flipt it over to let out excess water and be all set.

Ditto,
But when I had my Oasis, I would overfill it purposely and let it sit for a while absorbing as much as possible. I would later flipt it over to let out excess water and be all set.

I have done that also. You really cant screw it up too much no matter how you do it.

Thanks guys. One other question. How often should the water cartridge be replaced with a new one? I've read that it should be replaced after 4 refills, and one person said that it doesn't have to be replaced that often, as he has had his for 2 years and has never replaced the cartridge.

Thanks guys. One other question. How often should the water cartridge be replaced with a new one? I've read that it should be replaced after 4 refills, and one person said that it doesn't have to be replaced that often, as he has had his for 2 years and has never replaced the cartridge.

As long as it dosent get mold or dosent start breaking down then it is fine. I have used one for 2 years also with no problems.

Ditto,

This is what i do as well. I use one in my coolerdor with beads. Works very well.

Two more questions. I'll be receiving a new humidor soon that the oasis xl will go into. When seasoning with the oasis xl, Do you crank up the humidity level on the oasis to get the cedar seasoned or do you just set it to the level you like your cigars at? How long do you season the humidor for with this device? It will be a 150 ct humidor.

Isn't the Oasis going to take up a lot of space in a humi that size?

I say get some beads for the humi and dump the oasis in the largest cooler you can find.

By the way, my model is also the Plus and with the beads in my 150 qt igloo it I have only added water to it once in the last 6 months.

What would the smallest humidor you would put a Cigar Oasis in? Most likely the smaller one the Cigar Oasis XL.

Isn't the Oasis going to take up a lot of space in a humi that size?

I say get some beads for the humi and dump the oasis in the largest cooler you can find.

By the way, my model is also the Plus and with the beads in my 150 qt igloo it I have only added water to it once in the last 6 months.

Right now I have been testing it in my 50 ct humidor for the last 2 days, and it has been working perfect. So I don't think it will be a problem.

Special features include:
- Ideal for 50-500 cigar capacity humidors
- Fully automatic, long-term reliable operation
- Sealed distilled water cartridge
- Built-in filtration and mold retardant
- Low water and battery indicator
- Quiet circulating fan to disperse humidified air evenly
- Built-in digital hygrometer
- Humidity control to increase/decrease moisture output
- Battery or Outlet powered (both included)
- Small in size: 3.5" x 2" x 6"

Refilling will vary by user based on cigars and level kept.
One thing is for sure, don't follow their guidelines for replacing it.
As has been posted, replace when no longer absorbing as much water or other issues such as mold.
The oasis in there should last for a while.

Two more questions. I'll be receiving a new humidor soon that the oasis xl will go into. When seasoning with the oasis xl, Do you crank up the humidity level on the oasis to get the cedar seasoned or do you just set it to the level you like your cigars at? How long do you season the humidor for with this device? It will be a 150 ct humidor.

Anyone?

I would simply use the old standard method first. Put a small bowl of distilled water in it for a few day. I double bowl my water (bowl in a bowl) so none will spill out on the wood. Then after a few day check the humidity. If it is ok then put in your CO for a day and make sure it is working properly, then put in your sticks.

Right now I have been testing it in my 50 ct humidor for the last 2 days, and it has been working perfect. So I don't think it will be a problem.

Special features include:
- Ideal for 50-500 cigar capacity humidors

Was speaking more about the space constraints in a humi of that size. I was thinking that it probably takes up about a quarter of the space. No doubt it will work just fine.

As for seasoning the humidor, I would follow RJT's advice. Better to break it in slow. My :2

These are some interesting replies I've always filled mine until it absorbed everything then topped it off further with water almost always left on top. I haven't had a problem with mold or anything.... yet... Now that it is winter time even filling it to the brim I'm refilling it roughly once a month or so. If I didn't fill it in the way I do I'd likely not make it 1 week off of just sponge water.

Back