Regarding Sizes

Txdawg

Gorilla
Before someone points me to the sticky, I've been there and still have a couple questions.

1. The names and ring sizes in the sticky, do they hold true to all brands? In other words, is a Robusto the same size for all brands?

2. I like Monticristo cigars but how does a #3 correspond to the sizes referenced in the sticky.

3. When I look at the sticky it will show for example a Mereva is 5x42 and a Corona is 5 1/2 x 42, but a Londres is 5x40. Do you get to a point where you can see these differences? I get a cigar and if it doesn't say what it is, I have no idea :confused:

So is there a simpler rule of thumb to follow? I mean come on, I know some of you are smoking a Londres when you really think you have a Mereva.

Txdawg said:
1. The names and ring sizes in the sticky, do they hold true to all brands? In other words, is a Robusto the same size for all brands?

They vary to some degree within most common vitolas like Robusto. I think I've seen Robustos vary by 1/2" or more, and 2-4 ring gauge. It depends on manufacturer. Try looking at an online retailer which tells the cigar measurements and just look around for discrepencies...

Txdawg said:
2. I like Monticristo cigars but how does a #3 correspond to the sizes referenced in the sticky.

Find the dimensions of the #3, then try to find the closest match in the vitolas...

Txdawg said:
3. When I look at the sticky it will show for example a Mereva is 5x42 and a Corona is 5 1/2 x 42, but a Londres is 5x40. Do you get to a point where you can see these differences? I get a cigar and if it doesn't say what it is, I have no idea :confused:

So is there a simpler rule of thumb to follow? I mean come on, I know some of you are smoking a Londres when you really think you have a Mereva.

I certainly can't tell the difference by eye. Some thicker Coronas sometimes look like narrow Robustos. Some short Toros look like long Robustos.
Then again, maybe I'm just not looking closely enough. "Go go inspector gadget precise eyeball-ruler!"
;)

Txdawg said:
Before someone points me to the sticky, I've been there and still have a couple questions.

Cigar Aficionado has a section that cover sizes. Quite simple there are 7 major sizes from what I've seen:

petit corona
corona
robusto/rothchild
longsdales
toros/corona grande
churchill
double corona

they all will vary in gauge and length and in some caese, depending on the maker, what they may call a corona can be as long as a longsdale, or as small as a petit corona. Like I said, CA has a particular section that talks about sizes. Give it a look.

Grinch OUT!!!

dagrinch said:
Cigar Aficionado has a section that cover sizes. Quite simple there are 7 major sizes from what I've seen:

petit corona
corona
robusto/rothchild
longsdales
toros/corona grande
churchill
double corona

they all will vary in gauge and length and in some caese, depending on the maker, what they may call a corona can be as long as a longsdale, or as small as a petit corona. Like I said, CA has a particular section that talks about sizes. Give it a look.

Grinch OUT!!!

It is confusing that different manufacturers' VItolas are different measures. I've had Robustos that have measured anywhere from 4.5"-5.5" and ring gauges from 49-54. You really have to look at the measurements after the name when you buy.

tazziedevil said:
You really have to look at the measurements after the name when you buy.

great advice!!!

the more you smoke, the better you'll get at recognizing different vitolas.

I think of it in the following way.

real short fat.....rothschild
short fat.....sometimes fatter..........robusto
long fat.......toro
real long fat......double corona or churchhill

pointy..........pyramid
not as pointy........belicoso

real short and skinnier.....petite corona
short and skinnier......corona
long and skinnier.......lonsdale

:cool:

singlguy9 said:
great advice!!!

the more you smoke, the better you'll get at recognizing different vitolas.

I think of it in the following way.

real short fat.....rothschild
short fat.....sometimes fatter..........robusto
long fat.......toro
real long fat......double corona or churchhill

pointy..........pyramid
not as pointy........belicoso

real short and skinnier.....petite corona
short and skinnier......corona
long and skinnier.......lonsdale

:cool:

That's a great way to remember it! Also remember with belicoso's that they measure the RG from the fattest point. I used to forget that alot....

Though I am sure there are exceptions...As far as I know cuban cigars don't stray...
For example:
If a cuban is called a churchill, it measures 7 x 47 ring...regardless of brand.

Problems arrise when we use slang:
For example an Hermosa #4 measures 5 x 48 while a robusto measure something like 4 and 7/8 by 50...
Many people would call both robusto...but that's inaccurate A RyJ Exhibition #4 for example is an Hermosa #4...a RASS is a robusto.

By the way from the point of view of the factory, even churchill is sort of slang...in the factory they call it something like Julieta or Julieta #2.

As far as the Montecristo #3 is concerned, it's a corona (something like 5.5 x 42)...However I can't tell that by the title...I have to know it's a corona...the #3 doesn't imply that.

Lastly..when it comes to noncubans...you can call it what you want...I've seen churchills bigger than double coronas, etc. CA does their best to fit stuff into categories because of this.

They vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Royal Jamaica Churchills are 8 inches long, when the "usual" Churchill size is typically 7. It's really up to the manufacturer, and the name usually implies a "class" of sizes versus one defined size. Some robustos may be 4.5 inches long, others 5.5... One manufacturer's Corona might be another's Lonsdale, and so forth. What I'd like to see, if anyone knows of one, is a size chart that has EVERY (even the sorta obscure ones) size classification there is. Typically size charts just go over the seven or eight regular size classes. I'd like to see one that goes from the tiniest to the largest - and has all the different size classes listed.
If anyone has seen something like this, could you PM me the link, or post it here? Thanks!

Back