REMINDER: Priority mail info

mikeyj23

Alpha Silverback
As information for those who don't know, or a reminder for those who do:
A) Boxes for shipping Priority Mail are FREE. If you're shipping Priority Mail, DON'T buy the ReadyShip boxes they charge you an arm and a leg for. If you're lazy, you can even have Priority Mail boxes delivered to your house with your mail (for free). There are several sizes:

"Large Video" - the most common for shipping a few cigars (5-10) - 9.25"x6.25"x2"
"Shoe Box" - another decent size for shipping cigars - 7.5"x5.125"x14.375"
"Box O-1097" - a bigger box for larger cigar shipments - many cigar boxes will fit in this size box - 11.5"x13.125"x2.375"

B) If you use Click-N-Ship, you get free Delivery Confirmation. Since most inter-CS shipments require DC anyway, print your shipping labels from online and get free DC. For an average 1lb package this lowers your cost from $5.45 to $4.75. Another bonus of using Click-N-Ship is the address book feature, so you don't have to ask Anita every time you need pnoon's address.

C) Labels for Click-N-Ship are available. You can just put these in your printer, print the label, peel it off and stick it on the package - no tape required. You can get 25/$9 through USPS or 100/$8 through PlanetLabel.

D) Free package pickup for priority mail packages is available through USPS. I know as well as anyone that anytime I need to go to the post office it's at a completely inopportune time and the line is usually 20 people long. You can schedule a package pickup as soon as the next day, and specify where your package will be (in the box, around the box, at the front door, etc.)

E) If you print online, all Priority Mail packages under a pound are $4.75. If you use Click-N-Ship, it's often hard to estimate whether you fall under that limit or not. Right now, you can get free stacking scales through USPS if you enter a DC of a package you've sent. I ordered mine two days ago and got them today. These are three very simple scales. They come in a set of 1lb, 2lb and 3lb. You set your package on the scale and if it bends enough to touch the table, it's heavier than the weight limit.

Sending packages back and forth can get expensive at $4.75 each, so getting free boxes, free DC, free scales and free package pickup can be very advantageous in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice write up...these are things I had to learn the hard way...this is perfect for new Gorillas!

Excellent write up. Thank you for that scale link, I just sent my request for a set. :tu:tu

Great write up - should help many here and I sure appreciate it.

Now the real question...who the hell sends stuff to pnoon?? :)

Don't forget, if you're sending something heavier than cigars, Priority Flat Rate can be a deal. Up to 70 lb for 8.95 in the smaller box.

RG for you. Excellant write up on the USPS. I just ordered my litttle scales.

Great info, this should be stickied. One minor comment though:

...but remember that you can't put a package more than 13oz down the drop box - you must hand it to a postal worker, so you still have to wait in line. ...

The 13 oz rule is for STAMPED packages. Packages with postage printed from Click & Ship, Endicia, Stamps.com, and P**P** Shipping fall under the rules for METERED packages. You can dump as big a package as will fit in a drop box if it is metered.

Nice job Mikey,

I too had to learn the hard way, dancing naked on a table singing Karaoke in front of strangers. Least now I can ship a package and save a dime or two.

tt:cb

Thanks for the heads up Mikey. Too bad the Post Office didn't tell me about the free boxes before selling me the regular box for $3.95 to ship your part of the NST.

Just ordered 10 boxes for future deliveries. Hmmm...10 boxes saves $39.50...I think I just found some extra money for my cigar budget...

The automated system at the post office is nice, but remember that you can't put a package more than 13oz down the drop box - you must hand it to a postal worker, so you still have to wait in line.

Nice write up. :tu I use the APC every time, and have shipped over 5 lb packages using it... Nothing ever let me know that I had to hand it to the teller, and my packages have always been sent AOK. :2

Also, if you plan on going to the PO anyways, you can use Click-N-ship to print a label with a DC# on it, then ship it Priority without adding DC. The DC# has always worked that way for me no problem. :2:2

Back