Remodeling home...consult architect or interior designer first?

jeckyjil

Newbie in the jungle
DH & I are planning on remodeling our very tiny galley kitchen and adjoining family room by expanding out about 8 feet. The problem is, neither one of us has an eye for what goes together. We both know what we like/don't like when we see it, but just aren't creative enough to coordinate things on our own.

So, are we better off getting an interior designer's perspective first, or hiring an architect? Are architects trained in any way to help people decide on things like what countertop color looks best with a particular cabinetry color? On the flip side, would an interior designer be aware of things like plumbing & electrical requirements/codes? This is the home we plan on staying in for at least the next 15 years, until our children finish school, so we'd like to make it very much "ours".

Can anyone help? TIA!

You need both, but the Architect is a definite first. The Architect will know your local building codes, as well as the most efficient way to reroute utilities in the home(the most expensive part). Share the blueprints with the designer and go from there.

My father, an architect, recently remodeled his kitchen, but I believe he let my mother pick out the counters, cabinets, floors, etc.. Suprisingly, my mother did an excellent job.

The structure needs to be in place to place the fancy interior in place so I agree with the previous post you need both,Good luck with the project start checking on line there are a lot of simple cad design tools were you can take pictures and rearange the room with simulations, also cabinet desing are avaible on line and from most home improvement centers

Agreed with everyone else. The architect is good to start with as they will know local building codes and whether or not you can even DO that 8' extension. IF you find a good interior designer they will have a basic knowledge about architecture and will be able to give you a good idea of what is needed where.. Best bet is to have both come over and work TOGETHER through the entire thing. My fiance's best friend is an interior designer and knows about building codes, wall placement etc to some degree but relies on the full knowledge of the hired contractor/architect to finalize her thoughts.

Just chiming in with my agreement with the others: architect first. They'll be able to tell you what walls can or can't be moved or knocked down (load-bearing walls must stay) as well. :2

I may be a bit biased since I'm an interior designer (commercial). If you are appropriating space from the interior of the home, IMO hiring an architect in addition to an interior designer can be a bit of an overkill. It would be like hiring a Project Manager and a general contractor for a small scale project such as your's. From the sounds of your project, it could best be handled by a qualified interior designer. The ultimate goal is to have a functioning space that fits according to your lifestyle while meeting your aesthetic goals. The person most qualified for this task is an interior designer. Having a structurally sound space is a given. The degree to which structral upgrades will be required depend on the nature of your project. If you are extending out and require modified roof structures and foundations, then yes, hire an architect.

I would suggest interviewing both for your project. There are members of each field that have extroardinary skillsets. Sometimes it is not only academic qualifications that are most important. You are dealing with a personal, private space and you need an indivual who will understands those needs.

An architect can help you only if you change the structure of your house. In many cases removing a wall could weaken the ceiling or puting a strain on other parts of the stucture.

Contact first an architect Contractors San Diego
make sure your plans are safe and then contact an interior designer.
They are much more qualified to advice what looks good in your house.

An architect can help you only if you change the structure of your house. In many cases removing a wall could weaken the ceiling or puting a strain on other parts of the stucture.

You wouldn't be at all connected with the linked company would ya :rolleyes:

You may want to hire a design/build firm and let them handle the whole process for you

In my line of business (structural/foundation repairs) I deal with architects and engineers daily. I can tell you that no matter how many architects are on the job - an engineer is still required. An architect can say/draw where to move put a wall or component - an engineer will actually tell you how to do it.

Therefore I agree with the above post - hire a design/build firm who will have access to both along with interior designers.

Ron

So what kind of Cigars do you like?

Back