Removing smell from humidor

GHC_Hambone

Blackhawks Fan!
Recently, my brother gave me a small humidor he got from a friend. The inside smells like he kept pipe tobacco or some flavored cigars in there. Does anyone have any advice how to remove it? I remember reading somewhere I could sand it, but I'm afraid of doing that and that will be my last resort. Thanks in advance.

Leave it open preferably outside for awhile. I've also had success with baking soda. Pour it into a bowl and close the lid for a few days to a week.

Flavored cigar smells are tough to get rid of.

Leave it open preferably outside for awhile. I've also had success with baking soda. Pour it into a bowl and close the lid for a few days to a week.

:tpd:also try some aquarium charcoal:tu

If baking soda got the smell of month rotten shrimp with "mole" (mexican cuisine), it gets anything.

Leave it open preferably outside for awhile. I've also had success with baking soda. Pour it into a bowland close the lid for a few days to a week.

I told a friend this once for the same situation, he missed the bowl part. :hn

Recently, my brother gave me a small humidor he got from a friend. The inside smells like he kept pipe tobacco or some flavored cigars in there. Does anyone have any advice how to remove it? I remember reading somewhere I could sand it, but I'm afraid of doing that and that will be my last resort. Thanks in advance.

Once the humidity has dried off it is near impossible to get rid of the smell. You need to re-activate the wood so to speak. Re-humidify (wipe with damp-to-wet sponge) and use baking soda as others mentioned. Its important to keep the wood somewhat damp. Give it a good 1-2 week cycle. After that you should consider getting a few pieces of Spanish cedar and wetting them and placing them inside (with no need to moisten the humidor itself at this point). We've used this technique to get the solvent/paint smells out of cigar shelving and cabinets alike, as well as the smell of burnt cuts.

Sorry, forgot to add, sanding indeed will get a good portion of the smell out. Contrary to popular belief, you're not sanding away the smell, rather you're re-activating the wood with heat. It gets the oils/moisture to flow outwards. I would only do that as a last resort.

Actually I would suggest sanding right off the bat. You want to make sure you wipe down the cedar well first with a damp cloth (always use distilled water) to ensure you get any residue off then let the box dry completely (bone dry).

We are talking about very LIGHT sanding here. I would suggest an Extra Fine sandpaper (220-240 grit or higher). You do not need to apply much pressure. Start with as much pressure as you used to wipe down the cedar or less. Your goal is to remove a very fine layer of wood that layer carriers and hold a large amount of the smells you are trying to get rid of.

After sanding vaccum out any dust or particles and let the box sit open in direct sunlight for a short period of time (not too long). Then wipe down the exposed cedar with a clean cloth and distilled water.

Back