Review-Carlos Torano 1916

This is my first attempt at a cigar review, so take it with a grain of salt. Yesterday I was able to enjoy a Carlos Torano 1916 torpedo.

The presentation of this cigar is elegant, maybe mostly due to the torpedo shape. I think I favor that shape over others as far as the "eye candy" part goes. The cameroon wrapper looks like a natural leather to me. Along with one of those cedar wraps and simple banding artwork, it worked for me. The wrapper had some nice, large veins running down it.

The prelight draw was very easy. No contorted faces made trying to get air through this one. It feels a litlle springy when squeezed.

Once lit, the draw is like sucking through a straw. No effort required to keep this one going. The tastes that come to mind on the first 1/3 are some leather and cream. I am drinking a nice italian red wine with it. they are complementing each other well on this nice, 70 degree day.

The 2/3 had a noticable change to coffee. not too strong, but apparent. The finish is now coming on, whereas it was short and unnoticable before. I have started in on some sharp cheese and crackers, too. I am too young to retire, but I have seen a glimps of it with this combo...

The last 3rd has moved into a slightly peppery finish. It caused me to either pay more attention to the draw or my mind fabricated some pepper and salt in that as well. I was able to smoke this to the nub without any bitterness. I got my money's worth, so to speak.

Overall, I can say this stick had some complexity to it, even for my newbie palate. I would say it will cause me to make some room in my humi in the future for some of its brothers.

This guy was stored in 70/70 conditions for ~3 years. anyone else care to comment on their experiences with these? I am curious.

Nice review. I find most Toranos to be very good with the 1916 Cameroon one of the best. I have been very pleased with the 1916 Churchill.

This is one of my favorite cameroons. Then again, almost any cigar that Torano makes is excellent.

wow, i'd love one with 3 years on it. i've really enjoyed them in the past and got a couple sitting nicely waiting. they'll slowly start dying, but i want to see how they are after some time has passed. great review though!

I had one on these a few weeks ago and loved it. The only problem was that the wrapper seemed a little thin and cracked a bit as you smoked the cigar down.

Lou

Back