Review: Davidoff Special T - My favorite cigar

tfar

Evolving Lead Gorilla
This is my first cigar review here and I dedicate it to what has been basically my favorite smoke for the last ten years: The Davidoff Special T. T like Torpedo and T like Till.

attachment.php

Actually, I kept a cigar diary for some time but have neglected this in the past years. Perhaps this will help me to take it up again. The format of my review will be that of my tasting notes in the diary.

As this cigar ages it gains only 2 or 3 points on a 100 point scale and the flavor profile practically does not change. The entire thing just gets a bit mellower.

Appearance: Davidoff has always flawless quality control and it shows. These things look stunning in their box of 20 or all alone. Claro wrapper, no big veins, slight sheen but not oily. Over time the oil will nonetheless color the band and the cellophane they come in.

Aroma unlit: Not a strong nose. Just a slight tobacco scent.

Taste unlit: Just after cutting but before lighting that is – so to say taking a cold puff. Fresh, almost a bit like menthol and a little green. No worries, it doesn’t taste like that when you fire it up.

Aroma lit: Note that aroma refers to the nose not the taste. A bit spicy and leathery. This is not a stinky cigar at all. In fact, it smells quite cozy for lack of a better word. However, beware not to keep this cigar in your mouth while you do other things. The smoke coming from the burning foot will sting your nose and eyes if it is that close. The smoke you exhale from puffing will not sting.

Taste lit: This is not a rich and overwhelming smoke but it is still complex and elegant. More of a black Porsche 911 than a red Corvette Z06. There is sherry and dark chocolate and roasted hazelnuts. It is sparkling like a dry champagne. The last third definitely gets a bit sweeter and reminds me of marzipan (almond paste). I would compare it to Nougat from Torino, Italy even if this is a reference most people might have never had. Purging is not necessary. I actually find it to taste a bit bitter after purging, even when I take great care to purge completely.

Combustion: Very regular and even. Canoeing or bubbling are practically non-issues with a Special T. The draw is not super light but not hard either. There are no big volutes of smoke. Blowing smoke rings with this one requires some serious puffs to prepare the act. Smoking one takes between 60-80 minutes. Slower is better, as always.

Characteristics: While this is a very elegant and medium smoke, it still packs a punch. If you are a seasoned smoker you might be able to smoke two in one evening. Sometimes I did that because I just couldn’t get enough and it was a good evening. But it stand alone very well and is a hard act to follow anyway. If you want to drink something with it, I recommend a Single Malt on the medium to light side. I had a Macallan with mine right now and it was almost a bit strong. Funny enough, this is a cigar you can have a glass of champagne with without them killing one another. The ideal cigar for an elegant evening in good company when you wear black tie, drink champagne and you know the beautiful woman on your side wears her finest lace. ;)

Altogether I’d give this a 92 when fresh and a 94 when aged three years or more.

attachment.php

Till

I am going to agree with you 100% on the aging factor of this cigar. Lately when I have bought this stick fresh it starts a little funny...not harsh, but not smooth...
Great review...I always love to see the yellowed Davidoff labels..

My youngest Special T is around two or three years old. I should keep better track of those things. So I haven't bought any lately and still have around 20 of them. But I do need to stock up on Short Perfectos which are another go-to smoke for me. They look tiny but you can get a good 45 minutes out of one.

ScottishSmoker, weren't you the one who was working in a BM that carried the D. line, and who said that some of the smokes would be discontinued? Sorry if I am mixing this up with another member.

Till

I did work for Davidoff...the talks at the time were of discontinuing the Short Perfecto, however, right before I "left" that position, the talks had actually talked about rereleasing the Special C. The only discontinued pieces in the Special Series are the Special B, Short T, and Special C...for now...

I did work for Davidoff...the talks at the time were of discontinuing the Short Perfecto, however, right before I "left" that position, the talks had actually talked about rereleasing the Special C. The only discontinued pieces in the Special Series are the Special B, Short T, and Special C...for now...

Alright, so it was you. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Pity for the Special B; I liked that one, too. I tried the Short T but didn't see much sense to it. It tasted just like the Special T only in shorter. Since the Special T doesn't take that long to smoke I didn't see the necessity of having a short version. The Short Perfecto on the other hand stands on its own.

Great review. I could almost taste it. I'll have to check these out. Thanks again.

Thanks for the kind words. :) Do try it out. It is indeed a special cigar and the consistency with which it delivers the goods is a great bonus. I cannot but highly recommend it. I also find the price is very fair for what you get. There are Padrons and Tatuajes that I find not better but that cost more.

Till

Nice review! I have never smoked anything by Davidoff. Gonna grab some to try one of these days.

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate it, especially because I first had the review two thirds written in the browser window. One wrong move and all was gone.:mad:

So I re-wrote it, this time in Word, and copied it in. Make sure you check out my lighter review in the Accessory Review section.

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1517890#post1517890

I love writing reviews of stuff because I love reading them and it helps me make a lot of buying decisions, so I like to give some knowledge back when I can.

Till

Superb review, great pictures, I wil definately be going to my Davidoff dealer to find this one! BTW, love your ashtray too!:ss

Back