Review - Sancho Panza Double Maduro

Well, here goes - my first review of a cigar. I just smoked one of these tasty cigars and really, really enjoyed it!

Cigar: Sancho Panza Double Maduro (Quixote)
Ring Gauge: 50
Length: 4.5
Wrapper: very dark Connecticut

It was very well made with no cracks and no large veins in its dark, almost oily wrapper. The cigar was firm from head to foot - no soft spots anywhere. The feel of the wrapper was almost silky.

When I cut it I mis-aimed with my double blade cutter and cut just barely past the cap - the wrapper slightly peeled up (about 1/8 inch) but it stayed in place once I started smoking.

It burrned very nicely and never needed touching up. The ash was dense and white when I ashed it at 1.5 inches.

The draw was perfect. I smoked it in just under an hour while sitting outside talking with my wife.

It was a medium-bodied cigar that gave off nice dense clouds of smoke. I would describe the flavors of this cigar like this: earthy, slightly oily, a bit of leather, and occasional hints of something sweet. The aftertaste was a strong hint of sweetness and a bit of tobacco - very nice.

At around $2 per stick (online at Holt's) this just became my favorite smoke. :ss

These are pretty good. The unraveling is just a part of smoking Sancho Panzas - punching them is the only way to go.

Have you tried the Extra Fuerte? I like them much better - one of my favorites, particularly for the price.

I haven't tried the Extra Fuerte yet but I'm looking forward to it! :)

These are great smokes, and really open the door/wallet to other amazing cigars as well, but most will not be this affordable or consistent. Nice review, you pretty much nailed how they come off.

the wrapper slightly peeled up (about 1/8 inch) but it stayed in place once I started smoking.

This happends everytime i smoke one of these!! They are tasty little smokes. Let us know how you like the extra ferte.. I havn't tried one either..
..kris..

I've really enjoyed the DM before. The EF tasted like a burnt-out firecracker to me, but maybe ill try it again.

Nice review. I like the Double Maduro but I think you'll like the Extra Fuerte better. Give it a try and let us know what you think.

I've got an Extra Fuerte sitting at home right now thanks to a trade with BirdDok. You guys have convinced me to smoke it tonight! (Like I needed an excuse to light one up, lol.) :D

I like the sounds of this cigar. Thanks for the review, I am heading to my local b&m to get one.I will let you know my thoughts after I smoke it Thursday.

Thanks for the review. I smoked one not too long ago thanks to Starchild. I thought it was very good as well.:tu

Thanks for the review. I smoked one not too long ago thanks to Starchild. I thought it was very good as well.:tu

Glad you liked it :tu This reminds me that I'm over due to burn one myself. So many cigars, so little time :ss

Thanks for the review.

I just bought a box of these for a bet I lost. I got to keep 5.

I'm looking forward to firing one up. I have heard good things. :ss

Seriously one of my favorite cigars...agreed on the Punch, though. These guys need you to be gentle around the cap. But, for all that flavor and $2, what do you expect?!?!!?

Tonight I smoked the Extra Fuerte. I like this cigar too! That slope you guys talk about looks more slippery by the day!!! :D

Cigar: Sancho Panza Double Maduro (Quixote)
Ring Gauge: 54
Length: 6.25
Wrapper: dark brown (maduro?)

The construction of this cigar was top-notch - fine veins, very smooth, no cracks, nice and firm but a good pre-light draw. No wrapper issues with this one at all.

The burn needed to be touched up 5 or 6 times but I was smoking outside and there was a good breeze so I guess that's to be expected. The ash was a solid mass, not flaky and messy.

I felt this was a medium-body cigar like the DM but the taste was different. I would describe the taste like this: earthy (but less so than the DM), warm, hints of sweetness (again, less so than the DM) and frequent pops of something lightly spicy/peppery which was interesting. All in all a very pleasant cigar - a few of these will find their way into my humidor for sure.

Sorry, I can't really describe what 'warm' tastes like - it's really the only word I can think of for that particular taste, strange description or not!

Between the Extra Fuerte and the Double Maduro I'd have to choose the DM - the EF was a bit more subtle but the sweetness of the DM took my fancy.

So, there's my review of that one. Again, thanks BirdDok for another nice cigar! Out of the three I've smoked so far from your PIF I like them all and I really dig two of them!

:ss:ss:ss

Nice Reviews.

I have a box of the DM Quixote sitting in the humi right now. I have had ~5 of them so far, and they are wonderful. They are my go-to smoke when I need something sub-1hour.

Have yet to try the EF, but from the description, I am hesitant. Maybe I will pick a single up from a B&M sometime.

Yep, I like the Double Maduro best of all too. These go great with a cup of joe! All of the Sancho Panza's have a great aroma. IMHO

Yep, I like the Double Maduro best of all too. These go great with a cup of joe! All of the Sancho Panza's have a great aroma. IMHO

One of my favorite drink pairings with this smoke is a starbucks double shot. Its great for my 40 minute commute home from work. :)

I have yet to get fresh espresso and try it, but I find I like this one with a cup o joe too.

Back