Review: Water Pillow

RGD

Elder Jungle Leader
Water Pillow - This is a handy little item that some may overlook or just never really gave any thought to. So here is a little picture review and few notes on how I use these.

So let's say that you have few friends like I do that you know don't really have a humidor - just an everynow and then smoker. When I send a smoke or two home with them I always include a water pillow - which is going to be good for about 45 days or so. Or if your going to mail something out - pop one of these in there and you know that you did your part to keep the smokes humidified while they travel.

In the first picture you see the water pillow and it's little baggie. As I buy them they come in sheets of 36 - just tear off what you need.

img_0088_std.jpg

Here is a close-up. As you can see there is nothing to leak out and the material is pretty much white on the inside.

img_0089_std.jpg

To add water you can do one of several things. Directions say to dunk them in distilled water for a few seconds. You could also use a spray bottle (pictured) or - I've pretty much got it down that a little less than a capfull of water does the trick.

img_0090_std.jpg

Now they will puff out a little and then you simply place them in the baggie that comes with them.

img_0091_std.jpg

Pop them in the bag with the sticks and your good to go! This package here is ready for the USPS.

img_0092_std.jpg

So cost. You could find them on C-Bid for around $15 to $20. I think normal cost is about $25 a set. No matter how you slice that's still less than $1 a pop - and personally I think my BOTL's are well worth it.
Since I don't use them to keep personally - I can't really say how long the last. Sales pitch says about two months. I also don't know if you can add more water.
But for the purpose - making sure they get to where the package is going and/or for friends for short term - I think they are perfect.

Ron

you can add water indefinitely as they dry out, apparently the makers of the pillow have one that is 15 years old and still going strong, nice review :).

They last indefinitely, eh? So, in theory, people who refuse to buy a humidor could just sustain their sticks in a bag?

I have one of those which I'm gonna use when I go on my next trip. I will put it in my travel case with cigars and it should keep the humidity level just right; handy little buggers :)

IamWD said:
They last indefinitely, eh? So, in theory, people who refuse to buy a humidor could just sustain their sticks in a bag?

From my understanding, which is limited on water pillows, they are not set to any specific humidity. So you might have a problem with to much humidity over time with them. But they are great for shipping. But I would not use them for long term storage with no other means to regulate humidity.

Stacey

Warhorse545 said:
From my understanding, which is limited on water pillows, they are not set to any specific humidity. So you might have a problem with to much humidity over time with them. But they are great for shipping. But I would not use them for long term storage with no other means to regulate humidity.

Stacey

You know - good point. I did call them once and spoke to a guy - Kevin I think his name was. He stated that it more or less depends on the size of the bag and amount of cigars. He stated for a normal zip-lock bag with 5 to 6 sticks - and a 15 to 20 second hydration - you should be good for 68 to 72%. As they tested there - he said they normally are at 68/70%.

Which to me is fine - again for what I am using them for - shipping and short term.

Ron

these guys run very wet in small humis and plastic bags, i wouldnt let them remain in for more than a couple of days at a time.

I use 7 or 8 water pillows in my coolidor (70qt). That is ALL I have in it for humidity. They have been in the coolidor for close to 2 months, and have lost only about 1/2 their volume. The last check on the coolidor with one of my electronic hydrometers showed the cooler is still running around 65% rh. I had planned on putting beads in the bottom to absorb any extra rh, but as long as it stays constant without additional resources, I think I will stay with just the pillows.

I am working on my second box of 36 at the moment. Most of my first box went out in longer ship time and larger box sizes shipments of cigars. As stated, these can usually be had off the devil site for less than CI charges for direct purchase.

you are very lucky.
they are a "dumb" system in the way that they humidify, without regulation etc.

good luck, youve probably come across the perfect ratio of cigars to space to # of pillows to wetness of the pillows etc.

its a delicate balance.

Kennmon said:
you are very lucky.
they are a "dumb" system in the way that they humidify, without regulation etc.

good luck, youve probably come across the perfect ratio of cigars to space to # of pillows to wetness of the pillows etc.

its a delicate balance.

Yep, but this is one thing that actually works in their favor. If the RH is constantly too low, it's easy to drop in another one or two, and see what happens. Too high, pull one or two out. and I'm all for the KISS principle. Helps dumb old farts like me from screwing up too bad:r

BTW, I see no offense in your post, and mean no offense, especially since I readily admit to many "dumb" moments. I am always happy when my moments don't lead to bleeding and bandages!!:)

haha, i didnt mean dumb in an insulting way.
i meant it as a characteristic of the pillows.

its like if you have ever heard of a smart bomb, they have tracking and radar and lasers etc.
a dumb bomb is just explosives with metal around it.

both can work well if used properly, its just easier for a dumb person to be successful with a smart item or product.

Kennmon said:
haha, i didnt mean dumb in an insulting way.
i meant it as a characteristic of the pillows.

its like if you have ever heard of a smart bomb, they have tracking and radar and lasers etc.
a dumb bomb is just explosives with metal around it.

both can work well if used properly, its just easier for a dumb person to be successful with a smart item or product.

I undersatnd fully!! And agree fully. I just wish i could be the inventor of one of these items, either dumb, or smart. I would not be picky, as long as it sold units!!:)

IamWD said:

Funny you should mention that.
I am out of room in my aristocrat so I have had to resort to my "old ways" with the humidor for the poor man.
I keep the boxes I can't fit in a large zip lock bag (usually can fit two boxes to one bag). I throw in a Cigar Savor Drimistat stick (have found one stick works well with up to two full cigar boxes) and away we go.
Test after test show the RH to be between 68-70.
Since the boxes have cedar dividers in them, no need to add any cedar to the bag.
I could never readily identify any differences between the ones in the bag and the ones in the aristocrat.

Back