Reye's Family Cigars Premier

kansashat

What would Skeeter do?
The Reye's Family Cigars folks were kind enough to send me a sampler of three cigars recently. I received a Classic pyramid (6x56), a Premier robusto (5x50), & a Premier Gordo (6x60).

I have posted a review of the Classic on this forum. This is a review of the robusto Premier that I received.

I smoked the robusto Friday morning with my coffee. This cigar has a Ecuador Sumatra maduro wrapper & a blend of Nicaraguan tobaccos. It is packed in boxes of 20.

The cigar drew & burned just fine & I had no issues with the construction.

I found this cigar to be medium in body. The flavor profile kinda reminded me of bubblegum. Now if my memory serves me, the 2 brands of bubblegum I grew up with were Fleer & Topper. Fleer was a hunk of gum twisted in a waxed paper wrapper & Topper (or was it Topp's?) came in a package of baseball cards. Topper was flat & wafer thin. Fleer was the sweeter of the 2 & softer. This cigar reminded me of the Topper because it wasn't all that sweet.*

Toward the end (about 2/3's in) I picked up a vegetal aspect that, for all the world, reminded me of celery. I found the overall finish of this cigar to be short & fleeting, but slightly toasty.

Did I like this cigar? Well, it didn't offend me in any way & I found it to be a pleasant smoking experience with a cup of coffee. I certainly found the vegetal tone of celery to be very interesting in the last part of the cigar.

Would I buy this cigar? I'm afraid I won't go out of my way to buy this blend. I smoke a lot of Nicaraguan cigars & can think of several that I'd rather spend my recession riddled budget on.

Let me throw a bit in here about the Gordo, which I am finishing as I type this. It had none of the bubblegum aspect, & I have not noted the vegetal aspect either. The finish on this medium bodied cigar is kinda toasty, like the other cigar. I found it to need a touch up toward the end & the jawbreaker size seems to have muddled the flavor profile. It was a pleasant, if somewhat uneventful & one dimensional smoking experience. I am not fond of huge cigars, so found this slightly uncomfortable to smoke.

I hope this review has some value to other smokers & would again like to thank the Reye's folks for the sampler.

* The bubblegum brand was actually Topp's. Google is my friend (apparently a better friend than my memory).

Last edited:
I too was graciously gifted a sampler of the premier in the form of a churchill and a 6x60 beast of a smoke. I found it to be medium bodied, smooth, but really seemed to just offer wood sweetness. I found the smoke to be perfectly constructed, with a softer feel than some sticks. The flavor profile was not to my liking, but depending on the price, for folks who like smooth, medium bodied woodsy smokes, it may be a winner.

Class act company to put their product on display in the hands of the smokers. My :2

Thank you for the honest review!!!:tu

What? You didn't have Bazooka Bumble Gum (Made by Topps) growing up???

Back