Reye's Family Cigars Pyramid Classic

kansashat

What would Skeeter do?
I lit up the 6x56 Reye's Family Cigars Pyramid Classic after lunch today. I was one of the folks in a recent thread that criticized the Puros Indio original blend. I stated that I wasn't sure whether the PI was a transitional cigar, or if it had declined in quality in recent years, but I was no longer fond of the PI blend.

I am still fond of the Cuba Aliados blend & have smoked a couple boxes of the new corojo in the past year or so. I have some Cienfuego's in a humi also, but haven't smoked one for some time, though I do remember liking them.

This cigar has the classic tapered pyramid shape. I clipped it & the draw was just fine. I torched it & the cigar kicked out plenty of smoke. I had no issues with the burn on this cigar.

Let me insert my disclaimer here....I have the palate of a billy goat these days. My descriptors of flavor in a cigar have devolved, for the most part, to words like "good," & phrases like "not good," or "me like." Whether it's mild, medium, or full, a cigar 1st has to get my attention, then it either impresses me or it doesn't. My measuring stick consists of "buy," "don't buy," & "how much is this cigar worth to me." I guess my measuring stick is kinda circular. :)

The wrapper looks shade grown, & if I didn't know better, I woulda called it Connecticut shade.

I picked up a kind've toasty, nutty aspect in the 1st third & almost immediately a slight bitter zing in the finish. The zing was not really unpleasant at all, & developed into an interesting finish. About 1/3 in, the cigar's flavor profile totally changed into a distinctly floral tone, which, along with the zing in the finish, totally dominated the remainder of this cigar. Thankfully, the floral tone was not a cloying one, so I found it to be quite pleasant.

The only negative I found was a slightly uncomfortable hot zone in the back of my throat & sinus that developed toward the end of the cigar. I am a very prolific nose smoker & have found many of Rolando's blends to blossom in the sinus more than anywhere else, so found this development to be slightly alarming.

I found myself liking this cigar & would describe it as more medium than mild. It got my attention, which I can't say for many cigars that are billed as mild.

Overall, I found it to be a well made, medium bodied cigar, with some interesting flavors. I would buy this cigar in the $3-4 per cigar box price range, but am uncertain as to whether or not I would be willing to invest in a box of 40 as the Reye's Family website states about their packing. Perhaps I will pick up a sampler, or a fiver or 2, in the future.

I would like to thank the Reye's Family Cigars folks for sending me the sampler & will post a review of the Premier robusto & toro at a later time.

I lit up the 6x56 Reye's Family Cigars Pyramid Classic after lunch today. I was one of the folks in a recent thread that criticized the Puros Indio original blend. I stated that I wasn't sure whether the PI was a transitional cigar, or if it had declined in quality in recent years, but I was no longer fond of the PI blend.

I am still fond of the Cuba Aliados blend & have smoked a couple boxes of the new corojo in the past year or so. I have some Cienfuego's in a humi also, but haven't smoked one for some time, though I do remember liking them.

This cigar has the classic tapered pyramid shape. I clipped it & the draw was just fine. I torched it & the cigar kicked out plenty of smoke. I had no issues with the burn on this cigar.

Let me insert my disclaimer here....I have the palate of a billy goat these days. My descriptors of flavor in a cigar have devolved, for the most part, to words like "good," & phrases like "not good," or "me like." Whether it's mild, medium, or full, a cigar 1st has to get my attention, then it either impresses me or it doesn't. My measuring stick consists of "buy," "don't buy," & "how much is this cigar worth to me." I guess my measuring stick is kinda circular. :)

The wrapper looks shade grown, & if I didn't know better, I woulda called it Connecticut shade.

I picked up a kind've toasty, nutty aspect in the 1st third & almost immediately a slight bitter zing in the finish. The zing was not really unpleasant at all, & developed into an interesting finish. About 1/3 in, the cigar's flavor profile totally changed into a distinctly floral tone, which, along with the zing in the finish, totally dominated the remainder of this cigar. Thankfully, the floral tone was not a cloying one, so I found it to be quite pleasant.

The only negative I found was a slightly uncomfortable hot zone in the back of my throat & sinus that developed toward the end of the cigar. I am a very prolific nose smoker & have found many of Rolando's blends to blossom in the sinus more than anywhere else, so found this development to be slightly alarming.

I found myself liking this cigar & would describe it as more medium than mild. It got my attention, which I can't say for many cigars that are billed as mild.

Overall, I found it to be a well made, medium bodied cigar, with some interesting flavors. I would buy this cigar in the $3-4 per cigar box price range, but am uncertain as to whether or not I would be willing to invest in a box of 40 as the Reye's Family website states about their packing. Perhaps I will pick up a sampler, or a fiver or 2, in the future.

I would like to thank the Reye's Family Cigars folks for sending me the sampler & will post a review of the Premier robusto & toro at a later time.
Nice, honest, to the point review, KH! Thanks!:tu

Greg

Back