Ring Guage Etiquitte

Ninja Vanish

Evolving Lead Gorilla
I just wanted to say a word or two about an observation I and a few others have made recently concerning the giving of Ring Guage here at CS.

As everyone I'm sure is aware, our Ring Guage system is a measure of respect for users here at CS. Those with more RG have been more or less affirmed by other members as being someone who is worthy of things such as trades, passes, bombs, as well as an affirmation of this person's friendliness and in some cases that person's knowledge of cigars.

The thing that has irked me is that in the past when I remember giving RG, it was almost certain that I would have a private message in my box waiting on me with a short thank you ( or in some cases a long thank you ) for the bump in Ring Guage. Recently I haven't seen this as much. There have been some guys who respond with the thank you notes but I must have given out 9-10 hits of Ring Guage as of late trying to spread around some good reputation to make up for the lack of it while I was gone for so long.

Now, I'm not calling anyone out, and I realize it is your choice whether or not to respond to a bump in RG. All I'm saying is be gracious to your BOTL's and SOTL's who bestow upon you the RG because it isn't something that you can take, it is a gift. I'm not even asking those who I bumped to respond, just from now on, keep it in mind whenever you notice you've been hit and take a second to shoot a PM in the direction of the giver. After all, you never know, you might find that some people are more gracious than you realize.

I know many many many people here already take a little time out to PM their RG givers and I think that is great and I applaud you, I know I haven't always had time to thank everyone of the people who have hit me and I wish that was different. So here is a general thank you to those of you have hit me with RG in the past without receiving so much as a PM with a thank you. And here as well, is a general Sorry for not being Johnny on the Spot with a thank you. Alright, I'm out.

Wow, I was about to ask for some info on RG etiquette. RG is explained somewhat in the FAQ area, but I had not seen any sort of info on proper reasons to give RG, how to respond to someone giving RG and all of that. After reading your post, I realize I have probably offended a few folks by not responding to there bump in RG at all...in fact I have not repsonded to any. Oops. So, like you, I would like to take a moment and say thank you to everyone who has taken the time to bump my RG up. Sorry I was not more on top of the etiquette associated with this.

Perhaps this is a post that could be stickied or put in the New Gorilla Forum for all newbies to see. I think it might prevent some breaches of etiquette due to pure ignorance...such as my case.

I guess I'm just a crotchety geezer because I've never thought to thank anybody, mainly I suppose because I almost never look to see whats going on in guage land. Too all of those whom I've slighted by not thanking .... thank you.

SeanGAR said:
I guess I'm just a crotchety geezer because I've never thought to thank anybody, mainly I suppose because I almost never look to see whats going on in guage land. Too all of those whom I've slighted by not thanking .... thank you.

Well, you're right about one thing. You ARE a crotchety geezer. :D But a nimble fingered crotchety geezer.

I also wanted to add that I'm not implying that people have somehow been "slighted" by not receiving a response to RG, it's just a nice gesture.

Wow, I guess I'm guilty as well. I really never check who gives out RG anymore and I haven't looked at my User Notes in a long time. So I guess thanx for bringing me back into it Ninja.

And to all those who have "Gauged" me ...... THANX :D

XXX

Great post NV. It is something I have always tried to do and in fact I think the only one I haven't thanked was my latest bump form leicoolya, so thanks mate for the bump.
I have been in the same boat though, sent out some RG and no response and this seems to be just in the last few months. It is nice to know that people notice.

Thanks for bringing this up. I'm so new here I didn't even know you could see when somebody bumped you. Only happened once to me so far, but I'll keep an eye on it in the future. I'll also have to post some better stuff to get bumped a little.

Your thread prompted me to check mine and I just noticed that my last bump came from you, Ninja. So here's a belated thank you. :)

Honestly, I don't look all that often. When I do, if I notice a bump, I try to send a thank you PM. Sometimes I forget--especially when, like recently, I haven't been on much. I hope no one has felt slighted.

I didn't realize it was the etiquette. In some cases I thought about it but didn't. I believe that maybe even you ninja have at one time or the other given me ring guage. Perhaps pre crash. I really do like the whole idea of ring guage.

Gee, thanks for bringing it up. I knew that someone had given me RG, I just had no idea how to find out.

So, Thanks Paul for my RG! I hope that you not the only one who takes pity on me.

Well I am glad you posted this, I have always been one to take plaise with just a quick smile but since this is cyberspace and faces are not seen I guess that doesn't really work. Well then I will also take this time to thank all that bumped me. I am honered and often a better person for the experiences I have had here at CS and with the gorilas that i have delt with. I hope those that have taken there time to think to bump my RG are not dissapointed in my callus nature and will forgive me for it will not happen to those in the future. Once again thanks Ninja for a welcomed wake up call.

I have to say I'm guilty of not responding. I saw some notes under user reputation but never realized that they were for the ring guage meter.

I need to put a shout out to my bro's altbier and technorobo for their positive comments for me. Thanks gang!!!!!!!

I don't always PM the person who bumps my ring gauge. I don't think I ever told my parents I loved them (& visa versa) til I was well into adulthood either.

I do hope that people know it is appreciated when they express themselves in this way.

Mmmm. Try to laugh at my stupid cracks once in a while too. ;)

Reactions: IHT
Count me amongst the guilty.A well deserved albeit belated thanks to you botl's and sotl's who've bumped me.I will do better in the future.

Gee ...I guess I need some ring gauge...feel free to bump me up and I'll be sure to PM you with a thank you! :D

vic_c said:
Gee ...I guess I need some ring gauge...feel free to bump me up and I'll be sure to PM you with a thank you! :D
Testing . . 1 . . 2 . . 3 . . testing.

I never expect a thank you when giving a bump so for that reason I don't always return with a thank you. I hope it doesn't offend everyone whom I don't respond to since I'm sure others feel the same way.

I try not to EXPECT anything from anyone. A thank you is nice but not expected. I am not offended if I am not thanked.

Personally, I try to always acknowledge a bump in some way. To me, a RG bump is a compliment and I like to thank those that compliment me.

:2

Back