Rocky Patel Cuban Blend

ghost

Gorilla
It's been four straight days of partying and I have been fortunate to share a few smokes with some friends and family. On Saturday, we throuh our Second Annual New Year's Eve EVE party:tpd: and I put out one of my humidors out for anyone that wanted to have a smoke. I was fortunate that we have been having mild weather and so many guys were able to go out on the deck (also had a heater out there) to shoot the sh!t and enjoy a stick. Knowing my fancy for cigars, one of the guests gifted me a five-pack Rocky Patel Cuban Blend. This was suppose in his humi for 2 weeks at 70%. On New Year's Day I decided to give it a go.

Setting: Outdoors and in the garage. Temps in the upper 50s. Light up was at around 1:30PM. This was right after some major rainstorm so the weather was a bit damp.

Appearance: Toro size. Dark brown color; almost maduro in appearance. Body was firm; with one or two slighly soft spots. Nothing to really take away for the stick.

Cut: Used my Xikar Xi3; Nice cut.

1/3rd: Recently, after making the cut, I put the cigar in my mouth a take a draw, to see if I can detect anything. I have realized that most smokes I enhoy I am able to get hints of the flavors to come by doing so. I toasted the foot and the cigar produced a heavy tobacco smell which reminded me of some ISOMS I have been around. Upon lighting up a strong earthy, tobacco taste hit me. By my third draw I started to say that this was a nice cigar. Very enjoyable. I am not as experienced with ISOMs but something about the taste kept me saying it similar in profile to an ISOM. The flavor seemed to build during this 3rd and after each draw a nice amount of spiciness hit the tongue. The spiciness seemed to be just the right amount, enough that it was noticeable but not enough to detract from the experience. Smoke was white and plentiful; good amount. Draw was perfect. Burn was a bit uneven but the cigar kept correcting itself. Some consideration should be given to weather conditions. Ash stayed on for this third.

2/3rd: More of the same earthy, tobacco (and something else) flavor. It seemed to smooth out in this third and then beging to mellow. Once and a while I got a hint of a very heavy coffee bean flavor that would mix in with the earthy flavor (weird). Spice was more noticeable but to me stilled seemed like just the right amount. I thought it was more noticeable because of the flavor mellowing at this point. Burn was getting a bit more uneven. I touched up a bit to help out but it seemed to burn uneven again after a bit (weather conditions?). Ash fell off at this point. Smoke produced was still good. Started filling relaxed and just slightly light-headed during this 3rd.

3/3rd: More of the same as above. Flavor seemed to mellow out a bit more. I detected some harshness, just a bit, but that is not uncommon towards the end. Burn needed some special attention at this point.

Smoke: Good amount of white smoke produced. Heavy tobacco aroma to it.

Ash: Nice white/gray ash. Stayed on for the first third and the dropped off.

Final Impressions: I really enjoyed this cigar. As I mentioned earlier the flavor it produced reminded me of some ISOMS. The flavor is not one that I can describe easily. The only this that I could make out was the spice (again seemed like a perfect amount) and a hint of a heavy accute coffee-bean once and a while. As I smoked this cigar I thought it was a very nice change of pace and would consider having some on hand for this very reason. What I also liked about this cigar was the nice buzz it provided, not kick-@$$ like some smokes, but again just enough for you to notice but not enough from stopping you from doing something. By the way, after this smoke I took a nice short afternoon nap.:s I think this would make a very nice evening smoke.

I hope you guys found this review helpful.

Stay strong and happy smokes!

A HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!

A good review Ghost, thanks. I have been very curious about these, and may have to breakdown and get some.

Very nice review. I love most RP, but this is one I haven't had the opportunity to try, and after your review, I'm going to have to start looking for one.:dr

Thanks for the kind words guys.

For anyone that is intrested it appears that these are exclusive to Famous Smoke. So if you are intrested you can get them there.

The other thing I want to add is that part of the distinct flavor is probably due to the ligero leaf. I looked at the site and it stated that this was included in the blend.

Hmm...I haven't liked RP even though they always sound like something I'd like.

I think I'll give these another shot.

One correction for everyone. I wrote that it had a dark leaf, almost like a maduro. Well, it turns out that this WAS the MADURO. :hn I got confused because I have both the maduro and the corojo wrappers these are made with.

Sorry for any confusion.

Great review! Like others I've seen these and have been interested in trying these. Your review has done the trick and I'm sure to pull the trigger and purchase a few. Thanks!

Great review!

My experience with this stick was very similar to yours. I didn't think it reminded me of an ISOM, though. I thought the flavors were good and strong but it lacked the refined taste, as well as twang, of your common ISOM. But I am keeping it "in the rotation" :ss

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Steve

I like these too. They don't give reminders of Cuba IMO but, they do remind me of the RP Edge in some ways.

Great review
I have smoked a box of these and its been hit or miss. They started out a bit bitter and then smooth out after a 9months but now they are somewhat barnyard aftertaste. They are still good but I am just being picky.

Infact I think the Cuban Blend and Olde World are using the same filler.
Anyone else think the Cuban Blend and Olde World taste similar?

Thanks for the review. I just smoked one of these yesterday and agree with most of what you said. Unfortunately it was below freezing and i had to battle a cracking wraper, so I didn't get to finish more than 2/3rds of it.

Tried one of these a couple nights ago and was surprised at how smooth it was. I was expecting something pretty heavy, but I thought it was about medium in body. Rolled like a rock and drew like a champ. Didn't knock me over like I thought it might.

A nice toasty smoke, but I didn't notice anything particularly Cuban about it. I would guess the Corojo would have a better chance at a Cuban flavor profile.

Thanks for the review! :ss

A good all-around medium-full bodied cigar. Plenty of different flavors as you go and can be found at a good price if you look. The price/flavor ratio makes this one to keep around. Reminds me of the Padilla Obsidian.

I bought a box of the Rocky Patel Cuban Blend Torp maduros the first part of last Dec. At first, I didn't really care for them. They weren't bad by any means. Just kind of "ho-hum". I had one the other day and enjoyed it a bit more. The first half was still very mild and kind of non-descript. The second half was very good. A little more complex with much more spice. If the whole cigar would smoke like this, I'd buy some more. At $2.75 (less freight) it was a pretty good cigar and represents a pretty good value but I have cigars I would rather smoke.

WyoBob

I've smoked two Cuban Blend maduro torps out of a box I bought July 23, 2008. I liked these much better than the box I purchased in Dec. of 2006. Did the blend change or did I?

I had the second torp out of the new box this am with coffee. I really enjoyed this cigar. The only problem I had was my lip stuck to the wrapper and pulled a piece off. I also had some very minor wrapper splits as I smoke it but the cigar held together and smoked just fine. (I store everything at 68 degrees and 65-66% humidity). I don't remember the first one out of the new box doing this. Perhaps a bit more "cooler" time would be a good idea.

The cigar seemed a bit stronger than I remember, being more mild to strong for me (perhaps the pot of coffee I drank with it had something to do with it) and was good to the nub. The cigar last 2.75 hours. A very good "bang for the buck" cigar at the $2.50 price I paid. I think it may be added to my "favorite's" list. I would describe the flavors as: toasty, earthy with some nut and spice flavors. One of my favorites is the Obsidian but I think this cigar is a bit more complex, smooth and "refined" than the Obsidian. I was a bit surprised at how delicate the wrapper seemed. Most all of the maduros I smoke have a pretty "tough" wrapper.

I plan on keeping a few of these on hand and will put it in my "rotation".

WyoBob

Back