Rocky Patel I-Press

jjirons69

Son of Evil Emperor Zurg
Been a while since I've reviewed anything, so here's a new one to me.

Rocky Patel's latest incarnation - the I-Press. It's an extreme box press stick. It's shape reminded me of a straightedge, much like a piece of designer molding. Here's some literature I found about it's make up:

I-Press is made from all aged Nicaraguan long fillers bound in a rich Honduran binder. The combination of these tobaccos brings forth a medium to full body that is complex and incredibly flavorful. The blend is completed with a dark, oily, maduro wrapper that adds a pleasant sweetness with some earthy undertones.

The wife and I enjoyed a quiet night in our porch swing. We were packing for our family vacation that starts tomorrow and I found a 5'er of these guys I had hiding in my cooler. I packed one up for the journey and took one out to enjoy tonight. I'm a big Rocky fan and have tried the vast mojority of his blends. The I-Press is consistent with Rocky-style smokes, especially the Vintage 90 and 92s.

Prelight - My what a square stick! It's the epitome of box-pressing. The feel is awesome. The wrapper is maduro and doesn't have a vein visible, much like the RyJ Viejo. The feel is silky smooth. The smell is unremarkable. It's only available in the extreme toro size of 6 x 52. Did I mention how friggin' square this stick is?

1st third - The draw is very easy, no resistance. The firmness is medium, it gives a little and it's not rock hard. It tastes like a Vintage smoke. Hardly any spice, really smooth and chocolatey. Exhaling a little through the nose is good, with a little sweet aroma.

The 2nd and 3rd thirds can go together because there wasn't a lot of change from the first. It stayed the same path. No changes I could detect. It may have gotten a little stronger near the end, but most smokes do. No spice ever developed, which is fine for me. It burned well and never had any issues.

Overall - it reminded me a lot of the Vintage sticks. If I hadn't known better, that's what I would've thought I had. It stayed consistent and never got hot or mushy. I stayed with it for 1.5 hours and left it at 3/4". I love taking photos for my reviews, but it was dark and I didn't want to ruin the wife's and my time together enjoying the frogs and warm breeze. I have 4 more to smoke and know I will enjoy them. I wouldn't pay the $10 MSRP price for them, but would pick them up from the Devil at half the cost. I give it a solid 9/10. A really good RP smoke IMHO!

ipress.jpg

Last edited:
Seems to me that about 10 years ago Drew Estate had this same cigar out....The Industrial Press. It came with a pressing unit to keep the pressure on the cigars till you put them out on the shelf and when you ordered more from DE, You put them in the press to keep them extremely pressed.

Then a few years leter, they sold the whole idea to another cigar company (they never said who), and presto...Rocky has a exterme box pressed cigar...hmmmm.:confused:

Back