Rocky Patel Limited Edition '05 Chest

ResIpsa

An Original Latino
As a cigar moron (I prefer "moron" to newbie:tg ), couple of questions. With the intention of giving this to my cigar loving brother as a b-day present, just scored the RP '05 chest on c-bid for $64.00 couple of questions:

1) Good Score?

2) Is this something that will increase in value, or just an item of interest to cigar box collectors?

3) His b-day is not until June, even with my limited knowledge I assume the cigars should be removed from the box and placed in a humi.....but inside their little "coffins", or remove them and place them naked?

ResIpsa said:
As a cigar moron (I prefer "moron" to newbie:tg ), couple of questions. With the intention of giving this to my cigar loving brother as a b-day present, just scored the RP '05 chest on c-bid for $64.00 couple of questions:

1) Good Score?

2) Is this something that will increase in value, or just an item of interest to cigar box collectors?

3) His b-day is not until June, even with my limited knowledge I assume the cigars should be removed from the box and placed in a humi.....but inside their little "coffins", or remove them and place them naked?

1.> The devil site, good? Dunno bout that, but you usually get well cared for smokes according to what I have read from other BOTL. As for the score, I would say "Good" simply because of the price you are paying. I would pay the $125 that CI is asking, if I had it. Because I have heard the cigars are excelent. Will not know first hand until I bring myself to smoke the SunGrown one that I have in my humi (Thanks Doc :))

2.> Supposedly, of this LE Chest, there are only 1000 in existence. I would think that would certainly make aging it create more value.

3.> Leaving them in the chest and putting them in a coolerdor etc.. would be best, however, if that isn't doable then I would recommend putting the individual coffins in a humi. The coffins are not air tight so they will not create a barrier, and they WILL protect the sticks which are naked inside the coffin.

Last edited:
PuroBrat said:
2.> Supposedly, of this LE Chest, there are only 1000 in existence. I would think that would certainly make aging it create more value.

I was thinking 6000, but I could be wrong. Good score, though. You are about half of MSRP on it. I've seen them around $180.00.

SHOE said:
PuroBrat said:

I was thinking 6000, but I could be wrong. Good score, though. You are about half of MSRP on it. I've seen them around $180.00.

I sometimes put too much faith in verbage I read. But CI states there are only 1000. There is a current auction at C-Bid that is a lot of 15 chests, so they aren;t exactly hard to find, yet. But rest assured, there are enough guys like me who do not look at cigars, we smoke them, so the numbers will fall over time. :)

ResIpsa said:

1) Good Score?

I picked up one of these boxes myself on cbid a few weeks ago and got mine for $62.00. I have each of the coffins in my humidor with the sticks inside of them and will smoke and enjoy them when the time is right. I might even be tempted to use one of each in a bomb because they have such a nice presentation in the little wooden boxes. The entire chest will not fit in my humi or any cooler that I own because it is just too long.

The value of the box over time is in the hands of the person holding onto it. Some people who are RP fans will want to enjoy them while I am sure that there are a few collectors out there who will buy a couple and try and offload them for a prifit when the time is right but they are only worth what people are willing to pay.

Congrats on a great pick up.

And, everything that I read said that there were only 1000 boxes, I haven't seen any site or catolog that said 6000.

Who could fault you for that. :)

I smoked one of the sungrown, gave away a few, and will let the rest of mine age in the bottom of my cooledor for a couple of years (in coffin.)

Very good but different than some of the smaller Sungrowns I have smoked. It was not near as spicey (peppery.) I felt like it may need a little time to age.

If you do smoke one...plan on a couple of hours.

$64 is a good price. I've made several attempts at this lot and always set my bid at $70. I haven't won the damn thing yet. Good score.

Cheers!!
Steve

Dandee said:
Very good but different than some of the smaller Sungrowns I have smoked. It was not near as spicey (peppery.) I felt like it may need a little time to age.

If you do smoke one...plan on a couple of hours.

Thanks for the tip. It will be hard to let it rest, but if rest makes better, then rest it shall have.

PuroBrat said:
Thanks for the tip. It will be hard to let it rest, but if rest makes better, then rest it shall have.

Had mine a month now and haven't smoked one yet, letting them rest and waiting for a nice enough day to sit and :w for 2 hours.

Rocketman248 said:
I've wanted one of these for a while now, but CBid and CI won't ship anything bigger than a shoebox to FPO addresses.:tg

What's an FPO address?

Is this anything that someone on these boards might be able to help with?

FPO (Fleet Post Office). It's basically Navy post office for oversea's commands. I never understood why people don't ship there. The actual address they are shipping to is in the US. Once it gets there, the military takes over.

Sorry for the thread-jack.

I found a place that helps people in my situation. I signed up at ShipitAPO.com. I can have things sent there, and they will forward it to me.:u

Back