AsetOne

Gorilla
54x5 1/2

Wrapper: Nicaraguan
Binder : Nicaraguan
Filler : Nicaraguan

This was a gift from Mike (Volt)

View attachment 19170
I had already taken the sleeve off before i realised i needed a photo, i tried to slip it back on, but probably would have ended up damaging the wrapper, as there was a tiny crack in the foot. you can also spot my glass of Guinness :D was a very good drink to accompany this smoke. (though i say that about most cigars and guinness as a combo :tu)

Appearance

Very nice looking smoke with the brown sleeve and brown and gold band.
Wrapper also has a nice oily sheen.

Construction

Feels ok, no overly hard spots, if anything, slightly spongy towards the head and at the foot. Wrapper has a few thin veins, though an inspection of the foot shows what looks to be a slightly loose bunch.

Pre-Light Aroma

Very subtle aroma, just a sweet tobacco smell.

Cold Draw

Easy, maybe a little too easy, though with the luck i have been having with the draws on the last few smokes i have had, i wasnt complaining.

First Third

Clipped the cap with my Palio, toasted with my lighter, and then lit it with a cedar splint.

The first few draws are leather and woody notes, in the foreground, there is also a slight nuance of cedar, thanks to the splint.

After a few draws it settles into its profile, Earthy notes are there in abundance, woody notes are still there, though the leather has taken backstage.

About a 1/4 inch into the smoke it started to canoe, and at this point i thought about giving it a touch up, but decided to hold off.

About a half inch into the smoke i tasted slight amounts of coffee, and nuts, like almonds, that would fade in and out depending on how hard i drew on the smoke.

Burn is horribly uneven now and needed a touch up at about the 1" mark.

Slightly bitter cocoa is starting to make an appearance towards the start of the second third, there is also a slight amount of what i like to call accumulative spice. (where it builds up over time, not when you draw and it hits you in the mouth straight away)

Rolled the ash off at about and inch and a half.

View attachment 19168

Second Third

Leather has left the stage.

Along with the bitter cocoa, a cinnamon-like sweetness has taken the forefront, which is a nice mix, along with the spice.

Accumulative spice is also picking up, which i liked.

The nuts are still there, though have started to take on a more toasty edge

The wood has become very faint, i had to really concentrate to pick it out, kinda like a blink and you miss it thing.

Needed another touch up at about the 3" mark.

Earthy notes seem to be there, but as with the woody notes, i had to really try to pick them out.

Final Third

Starting to taste the nicotine.

The cinnamon is still there in abundance, along with a nice 'gingerbready' flavour taking center stage along with the cinnamon.

the accumulative spice has settled again, more like the amount in the first third.

Needed another touch up at about the 4 and a bit inch mark.

Bitter cocoa has also faded into the background, and the toasted nuts have left the building.

Towards the middle of the last third, i started tasting faint floral notes, but not like the perfumey floral which i hate, more like the floral notes you get in a good RASS.

Conclusion

Aside from the burn issues that plagued this cigar (it had been sitting for atleast 3 weeks in 65RH with calibrated hygro, before you all start asking :D) it was an extremely good smoke, and the flavour more than made up for the burn problems (multiple touch ups and never really got itself straight)

Probably the best RP i have tried, eclipsing the vintages by miles, which i think are good smokes, but nothing amazing, though having said that, the 90s and 92s are a very different profile to the OWR, i just enjoyed this profile more, though more power to anyone who loves the vintages :tu

Strength wise, it was good, no buzz or anything, but it was kinda like a wolf in sheeps clothing, i.e. i didnt expect it was going to have the strength it did, though the Camacho Corojo and the like are definately much stronger.

Did I like this smoke? Immensely.
Would I buy this smoke again? Absolutely.

I must thank Volt once again for gifting me this smoke, as without it i probably never would have even given them the time of day to look at prices. THANKS VOLT :tu:ss

View attachment 19170
Nub shot! i was tempted to try and burn my fingers on it, but it was getting late, and the smoke had also become very soggy, so i let it die, though the flavour was still good right to the end.

And thats a wrap folks, many more smokes to try, many more smokes to review, stay tuned! lol

James

Back