Rocky Patel Signature Toro

jamz

Elitist a-hole
Time to do a review. My palette is not what I'd call advanced, so take this as you will- a review by a n00b who may or may not know what they are talking about. Where I might find subtle hints of sage and elderberry, you may find indistinguishable one dimensional crap. Hence the name of the review. :)

Cigar: Rocky Patel Signature Toro
Length: 6"
Ring: 52
Wrapper Color: Light Ecuadorian Connecticut
Filler: Mixed Central American

This is sort of an odd review. I’ve had two of these cigars, in the same location (my office) on different days, about a week apart. They had been sitting in the humi for a couple of weeks. The impressions were 180 degrees apart. One was fine, one was horrible.

The first cigar is what I’ll review here, the second one, that I took pictures of, is not.

View attachment 18245

Prelight:

This stogie is beautifully constructed, perfect wrapper and cap, in a nice, silky smooth light shade wrapper. It is a handsome little bugger, any cigar snob would be right proud of it’s looks. No hard or soft spots, perfect construction throughout. It had an earthy, mild tobacco smell. Upon cutting, it had an incredibly easy draw.

The foot showed decent construction as well.

View attachment 18244

Light:

The Signature lit easily all the way around the foot. Initial impressions were a mild, milky/creamy taste.

First Third:

The initial taste strengthened a little tiny bit, a mild creaminess that was eventually supported by just a hint of cedar. The burn was perfect. Interestingly, the flavor really didn’t strengthen or change past this point! It continued to be a nice, very mild, very creamy tiny bit cedary cigar that left no aftertaste whatsoever. It was like it was trying to build into something great but couldn’t quite get there. It never got bitter, never spicy, and certainly never full bodied as the ads say. It was almost like pretending to smoke a cigar, or reading about the experience rather than actually doing it. No challenges to the taste buds, or to the lighter, it just kinda went along, smoothly, inoffensively, until it was done with around a couple inches to go.

It’s ash was nice, with the little bit of flakiness, but held on the requisite inch ( which is when I usually tap it off). It burned nice and white and strong.

View attachment 18246

I won’t break the review down into thirds because the cigar was exactly the same throughout its length. If I were going to introduce someone to cigars for the first time, and they wanted a huge, manly, massive ‘gar in their fist to impress people with, I would give them this one. It is mild and creamy enough to be enjoyable to first timers, and they can impress people with the beautiful looking stick with a brand name.

Special note:

I smoked a second one a few nights ago (the night I took the actual photos). It was vile. Initial draw was too easy, initial tastes were nice and creamy, but very soon turned harsh and bitter, despite numerous purgings. I kept waiting for it to improve, but it never did. I finally had to pitch it with maybe an inch and a half smoked, which is why there are no pictures of it smoked way down. Had to have a DPG JJ to get me happy again.

Cliff Notes:

Nice, creamy, extremely mild, to the point of being too mild. Possibly inconsistent, as I had a horrible one as well as the decent one. I’ll have to try a tiebreaker later on.

Well, I had another one last night. The third one had same great construction and same super-easy draw (too easy maybe). I figured that maybe I smoked the second one too fast and that caused the harshness, so I purposefully slowed way down with this one, not just in number of puffs but the speed at which I drew in the smoke. This made a HUGE difference and there was almost no harshness (though it did go out on me once in the first inch) and the flavors were a lot richer and the complexity came out.

This one had a couple of burn issues that required a couple of touch ups with the lighter but other than that it smoked very well.

Slowing down the draw turned this cigar from a 4-5 to a solid 7.5 for me. :tu

Well, I had another one last night. The third one had same great construction and same super-easy draw (too easy maybe). I figured that maybe I smoked the second one too fast and that caused the harshness, so I purposefully slowed way down with this one, not just in number of puffs but the speed at which I drew in the smoke. This made a HUGE difference and there was almost no harshness (though it did go out on me once in the first inch) and the flavors were a lot richer and the complexity came out.

This one had a couple of burn issues that required a couple of touch ups with the lighter but other than that it smoked very well.

Slowing down the draw turned this cigar from a 4-5 to a solid 7.5 for me. :tu

I happened to sample one of these last evening. I think I liked it, found it mild and creamy which was just what I was looking for. Now the decision comes, buy a box or continue the search for a good mild cigar for the days I want to take the smoking experience down a notch or two.

I have had quite a few of these and find them to be very consistent. Creamy is a good word to describe them. I find the second third very enjoyable with some sweet cedary notes. Burn has been great, the draw is a little loose. I suggest using a punch. Overall, a very good, mild, everyday smoke.

Back