Rocky Patel Sun Grown Torpedo

jkorp

·~«{·B'lieve Hon·}»~·
Here we go with my second review.
As I have said before, I'm really not a good with the vocab and descriptors of the flavors, but I will describe my impression of this stick.

The stick cut clean, and the draw was easy, almost too easy.

Here is my stogie resting in my new Stinky Astray, thanks to the Stinky Astray group buy, and all those that made it possible. This was the first smoke to to grace this beauty of an astray, and I think just using it made the smoke really enjoyable.

The smoke was cool, the ash was light gray and the burn was even until about the last 1.5".

First .5" seemed to a good tobacco flavor, I didn't notice much else.

From .5 until the nub, there was some kind of toasty, maybe slightly leathery taste, but what I really noticed was a floral presence in the nose, it was OK at first but I grew tired of it.

The last 1.5 the flavor seemed to disappear, and the smoke was just bland.

Overall, I'd say it was a fair smoke, that was made really enjoyable by the fact I was using my new stinky, it was beautiful outside, the house was empty and I was enjoying a nice Sam Adams. I probably wouldn't buy these, but would definitely give it another try. This conclustion suprised me because I like every think I've tried of RP a lot, so I was expecting great things, but was let down easy by the factors mentioned above.

Now the facts:

Wrapper: nice looking, dark natural in color.
Hand Feel: felt pretty good in my hand, but it spent most of the time in a stirrup of my NEW STINKY ASHTRAY (Shout out to booker and stinky for the group buy)
Band: standard RP plain looking double band
Construction: pretty firm, seemed solid
Draw: post cut and prelight, the draw was really easy. Post light and all the through the burn the draw was the same.
Smoke: lots of it.
Burn: even until about the last 1.5" but easily corrected itself.
Ash: average. Ashed about 4x it didn't want to hold more than an 1".

Thanks for the review, I've been eyeing up one of these for awhile now but can never pull the trigger. Maybe I'll give it a go this weekend.

Good review. I like these very much. Possible one of my favs. I really enjoy the smaller sizes though. Petit corona is nice. Petit Figurado is my fav though.

:cb
I think you did a great job on the review, but I hate to say I'm more interested in the ashtray. You all did a group buy? How did that work, and is there another planned?

Thanks.....Out

:cb
I think you did a great job on the review, but I hate to say I'm more interested in the ashtray. You all did a group buy? How did that work, and is there another planned?

Thanks.....Out

I believe the group buy may still be active. Check the thread, there are instructions on how to get it on the deal.

Just finished my first SG, a toro. Very nice smoke, the first third was a bit unimpressive, but flavors built in the second third. The final third was excellent, very spicy and lots of flavor. It wont be my last. :tu

Back