Rocky Patel Vintage '92

Man I heard a lot of good things about this one. And then the other day (couple weeks back actually) saw that the local shop had gotten in a box of the Torpedo's. I plucked one out and decided to have a seat at my local shop and enjoy it with a nice cold Coke.

The construction was nice and smooth. I did not notice any major flaws. It looked like it was made with some TLC. The aroma was nice and meaty. I clipped the end and fired it up. The first couple draws were a little harsh, nothing horrible though. After that it smoothed out and I inhaled deeply to get a full flavor profile. Then a funny thing happened, I couldn't tell if I liked it or not :confused: It was weird cause it was a nice strong flavor and I could tell it was a quality smoke but it had a very noticeable vegetable flavor that I couldn't tell if I liked or not. I smoked the stick down to about 1" and then let it go out. I sat there for a few moment scratching my head, even after the entire smoke I couldn't tell if it was right for me or not.

So I let it go for about a week and a half and then went for another one. Same thing, confusion, an overwhelming vegetable taste. About half-way through I set it down and walked away.

After two tries with this year and size I've decided its not for me. Don't get me wrong its a quality smoke I could tell that right away and many of you might enjoy it. I just didn't care for the vegetable taste. Anybody else had any experiences with the 1992?

I've got one sleeping in the Humi for sometime next week or two. Your review makes me anxious to smoke it. At least it has some flavor that is consistantly there. I've never had a cigar with a vegetable flavor, grassy, but not vegetable. I hope that the flavor isn't BRUSSEL SPROUTS :pu

You know I had a guy I worked with who just loved it so you really never know till you try. Don't let me disuade you, what the hell do I know anyway? Yeah it was weird it was sort of a vegetable/carrot sort of flavor...... no Brussel Sprouts though, however I still fully support DaveC and his obsession :)

You might like it, post your experience with it so I'll know If I'm the only one who's lost his damn mind.

I smoked a 1992 Toro over Thanksgiving while in Charleston. I thought is was a good smoke. Well made, dark n oily. I didn't get any of the veg you are talking about. It wasn't that strong, but a solid cigar with some good flavor. I want to try a few more. Also smoked 1990 Toro yesterday. I thought it was not as good. Just an ok smoke, quite a bit more mellow. I did enjoy the hell out of a Sam Adams Chocolate Bock though :al :D

I'll just have to see if I can get some Chocolate Bock to go with my 92 Toro. I had the Sam Adams about a month ago, and after I got over the shock I enjoyed it. I thought it was going to be a bitter stout, but it was really chocolate, semi-sweet.

IMHO the 92 is better than the 90, but it needs some rest time before sparking, that might be the problem.

I seem to have hit a rash of "young" smokes lately. Just my damn luck I guess. Although I've gotten some really awesome ones in the past month or two as well. Mmmmmmm Party Short

I'm glad I saw this post. I had an experience a couple of weeks ago.

The guy at the tobacco shop I went to this time said that the Rocky Patel rep was there the weekend prior to my arrival and he was saying that "we have come up with a cigar that rivals the Padron Anni 64 in taste, but at a much lower cost". Of course, I was intrigued, so I bought one. Man was I disappointed. I don't mean to say that I expected anything to taste like the Padron, but my expectation was much higher than it should have been.

Believe me, it wasn't even close...can you believe someone would say that?

In my experience anytime someone says we have something that is just like X, then you are better off getting X.

As for this cigar I am much like the reviewer. I definatley did not dislike it. I am doubtful about the next time I will pick it up. That must mean I did not really enjoy it.

CigarHoss said:
...."we have come up with a cigar that [is a rival to] the Padron Anni 64 in taste, but at a much lower cost".

Well that depends on what the definition of is, is. :p

Also, i had one of the RP 92's a while back too. Especially for the price, i did not find this anything special at all -- kind of bland actually.

______
rm

I also had a local guy try to sell these to me as an affordable Padron Anni. Sounds like that is what the marketing is about. I was not impressed.

What shop whas that at if I might ask Hoss? Only a Padron Anni is a Padon Anni if you ask me. I love Bucanero cigars and they even post quotes of other people comparing them to Padron's on their home page. Although the Bucaneros are kickass smokes, they are no more a Padron than a Nicaraguan cigar can taste like a Cuban.

That said, it took me a while to conclude I don't like the 92. Its not that its a bad cigar, however for $8 it just doesn't leave an impression that warrants said funds. I do enjoy the '90 Patels much more. Over the Summer a local store (Sir Elliot's McKinney) had a huge trough of unbanded '90s being sold as the store's "special reserve". The owner had not-so-discretely placed them on the shelf directly below the Patel reserves. I had to only smoke one to know it was a '90 and not a '92. I didn't come across any with flaws, so I don't think they were seconds. Second or not though it was a great smoke for the $4/stick they charged. Unfortunately I developed a taste for them so every now and then I grab one of the $8 banded ones.

-Matt-

CigarHoss said:
I'm glad I saw this post. I had an experience a couple of weeks ago.

The guy at the tobacco shop I went to this time said that the Rocky Patel rep was there the weekend prior to my arrival and he was saying that "we have come up with a cigar that rivals the Padron Anni 64 in taste, but at a much lower cost". Of course, I was intrigued, so I bought one. Man was I disappointed. I don't mean to say that I expected anything to taste like the Padron, but my expectation was much higher than it should have been.

I've had the same Rocky Patel problem.....

...I've had 4. The first was pretty nice, but they all had that vegetal taste. The 1990s I've had were even worse.

Not a cigar for me, by any means.

I've long wanted an excuse to use the barfing smiley....here goes:

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=64142#

LasciviousXXX said:
Man I heard a lot of good things about this one. And then the other day (couple weeks back actually) saw that the local shop had gotten in a box of the Torpedo's. I plucked one out and decided to have a seat at my local shop and enjoy it with a nice cold Coke.

The construction was nice and smooth. I did not notice any major flaws. It looked like it was made with some TLC. The aroma was nice and meaty. I clipped the end and fired it up. The first couple draws were a little harsh, nothing horrible though. After that it smoothed out and I inhaled deeply to get a full flavor profile. Then a funny thing happened, I couldn't tell if I liked it or not :confused: It was weird cause it was a nice strong flavor and I could tell it was a quality smoke but it had a very noticeable vegetable flavor that I couldn't tell if I liked or not. I smoked the stick down to about 1" and then let it go out. I sat there for a few moment scratching my head, even after the entire smoke I couldn't tell if it was right for me or not.

So I let it go for about a week and a half and then went for another one. Same thing, confusion, an overwhelming vegetable taste. About half-way through I set it down and walked away.

After two tries with this year and size I've decided its not for me. Don't get me wrong its a quality smoke I could tell that right away and many of you might enjoy it. I just didn't care for the vegetable taste. Anybody else had any experiences with the 1992?

I have a bunch...thought they were incredibly average. In fact a T25C Staff Review is going to come out on them in early '05.

I think the RP Vintage smokes are a victim of over hype. There are a LOT of better smokes that are MUCH cheaper out there. The more I smoke the RPs (90 and 92) the less I reach for one.

I find them kinda chalky and mildly flavored. Not a bad 3-4 dollar smoke, but 8 bucks is ridiculous. I've had strong vegetal tastes from some of the Gurhkas that I have tried. I haven't noticed that taste in the RPs, except in the first half inch from time to time.

The Bucaneros kick ass, I need to smoke more of those.

I had one for Christmas day. It is a very nice looking smoke. Tons of smoke and a nice taste of aged tobacco. I can see what you were talking about with the vegetable taste - but I just had hints of it and I can't say I dis-liked it. The most lasting impression I took away from the smoke was smooth, very smooth. I enjoyed the last half more that the first because I paired it with a brewer form N County San Diego India Pale Ale. The Stone IPA is a very hoppy, and therefor very bitter beer, It's hard to describe but the bitter beer almost made the vegetable taste very sweet. I agree with TXMAtt, in that, although I really enjoyed the smoke paired with a bitter beer and feel I got my moneys worth, there are better $8 cigars out there. Now, if it were a $4 cigar, well it would be a very good bargain.

I just had one of these tonight. It was more of a robusto size that I got included in an otterbox I got off of Cigarbid. I've had this in my humi for at least a month now. The construction on it was poor, cap sucked and cracked the minute I started puffing on it. However I have to say that I liked the flavor. It didn't seem particularly vegetably to me. If it wasn't for the construction I would have enjoyed it more. I don't think I would seek them out or pay what they are selling for but for being included in a deal I can't complain much. I still have two from that deal so I'll see how those ones compare.

I really like them. I get them for 5 a stick, and I always feel like I am getting my moneys worth. I havent tasted the veggies, but I will say that they have a unique taste. I have found that people either think they are ok, or they really like them (as is evident on this forum). I am fortunate enough to think they are great. I wil say this though, I have been moving away from them lately, in favor of other smokes. The beauty of being a newb, is that I am always trying something for the first time, and some things are sticking.

I had a Toro last week and was unimpressed. There wasn't anything to get excited about. Just a cigar. With all the hype and the 10 year aging, I was expecting something better. The cigar was sort of one diminsional all the way through, even the finish was a let down. It wasn't a terrible cigar or anything, but there are better smokes for the same money readily available anywhere.
Just my humble opinion.
Radar

Back