Lowland Gorilla
Name: Rocky Patel The Edge Corojo
Vitola: Torpedo 6x52
Wrapper: Ecuador Corojo
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Dominican/Nicaragua
Price: 8.85 at the B&M, much cheaper online

IMG_0153.jpg

Pre-light: Well, it has a nice medium brown color to it with the filler tobacco a bit darker. Seems firm to the touch with a bit of springiness. When I went to clip the cigar there was a big crack down the wrapper at the head afterward. This made it hard to draw correctly. Burn became rather wavy and stayed that way for the first third.

IMG_0154.jpg

First third: I had to tear off the wrapper at the head to make it even smokeable. Then I noticed a crack in the binder. This made the draw still suck, no pun intended. The flavors were OK, you could taste the corojo but the taste was slightly woody and not very spicy. Smoke was medium in body. Not the full tilt cigar RP advertises. At about the halfway point the burn seemed to even out.

IMG_0155.jpg

Middle third: I'm finally able to get a handle on the draw. Body is still medium, flavors are picking up a tad, but more of a medium/full than a real full tilt cigar. Still not much in the way of spicyness. But it is becoming more pleasant.

IMG_0156.jpg

Final third: Finally picking up a tad of spice on the tounge, but still not much. The binder is starting to fall apart making it difficult to smoke again. Taste pretty much the same but I ended up ditching it with a little over an inch to go.

IMG_0157.jpg

Final thoughts: Well, the wrapper issues pretty much killed the cigar for me. But even without that it was just an OK stick. I'd smoke another if gifted to me but don't think I'd buy another. For the same price you can get the Sumatra which really is a great cigar. I enjoyed the maduro more than this one as well.

Smoke again: Yeah if free
Buy again: Nah
Reccommend: I'd tell people to try it before buying any in quantity.

Nice pics Ratters ! :tu

Sorry about the split wrapper. I smoked a box of these a few months back and found them a pretty decent smoke, but being such a firm cigar, at 65% humidity I managed to crack 3 or 4 wrappers myself.

Hate when that happens. :mad: I end up concentraiting more on the split then the actual cigar itself.

What a shame. The first photo looked really beautiful. It is hard to enjoy a cigar when it has construction issues. Thanks for the review.

Did you let it rest in the humi 1st or smoke it straight after purchasing? The stick appeared to be extremely dry (imho). Never had a corojo, but Sumatra Edges rule! The pic doesn't look consistent w/ the usual RP quality.
Nice review w/ pics, btw.

Thanks for the review and photo's Ratters. I have a maduro which has been sitting in the humi for nearly two years (just sitting since 08/06 and minding its own business. Its the last of 3 others). Solid construction, slow burn, nice flavor and taste. Sorry to hear about the issues to your corojo wrapper and binder. Makes for an unenjoyable session...:confused:

I fell in love with Edge Corojos when they came out in 10pack wood boxes and bought a bunch. Smoked a couple of boxes worth then got a little bored and moved on. When I came back to em a couple of months later, the oomph just didn't seem the same... repeatedly.

This was oh 3 years ago... I finally smoked a toro today and liked it, very good flavor but without the oomph I remember.

I'm not surprised to see the wrapper cracks. It's always given me trouble in the past and with the one today.

I've had a few edges, mostly the maduro and Sumatra, and never had a construction problem. The split may have been from my cheap cutter cause I was too lazy to walk in the house and get the Palio, though it's not happened with other cigars I used it on. The cigar was in my humi at 65% for a week. The B&M keeps their stuff on the high side humidity wise, so I may have just needed to let it even out more. But the cigar review was for my gun board's monthly review and I was running out of time. :ss But minus construction I prefer the taste of the two other blends, but still people should give these a shot if they like corojo. Though they can just do the right thing of the bat and get a Camacho Corojo. :D

Thanks everyone for the feedback. :tu

Sorry your wrapper split. I have enjoyed these in the past, but I usually keep my RH closer to 70%. Never really have had burn issues.

Agree completely with your review that these cigars are not as strong as advertised. I get them for $5 from the local B&M, so they are an easier "go to" option.

I've had two Edgo corojos and loved them both. But in terms of bang for the buck, I really like the Edge Counterfeit corojos that sell on cigarbid. They usually go for $37 for a box. They're ugly as sin, usually the wrappers are bumpy and full of big veins, but they taste good and most of them pack a nice little punch.

Well, I just finished one of the Edge sumatras and I must say this time construction and burn were perfect. Maybe I shoulda got two of the corojos. :ss

Thanks for the review. Corojo wrappers definitely seem to be the most fragile wrapper out there as of late. Too bad that I love the taste of them.

One of the things I've been doing regularly before cutting is to wet the tip a bit to help in elasticity and hopefully avoid splits such as you had.

I like the Edge Corojo missle, but its a bit small for my regular rotation and I think its a bit pricey.

I've found corojo wrapped cigars take a longer while to settle down from transit or a B & M (which I've found most to keep their cigars too wet) and need a consistent 63-65 RH to be at their best.

These are great smokes, you just have to give them a chance to acclimatise and age for a while.
To me the wrapper problem you had seems like a fluke, or maybe it went from a humid to very dry environment suddenly - that will split the wrapper every time. Do give these a chance. And also, try the maduros. They are even better IMO. Cheers, Larry.

Funny, but I also had construction issues. Coincidence I guess. I didn't like the flavor either though. Probably wouldn't smoke another.

Thanks for the review. Corojo wrappers definitely seem to be the most fragile wrapper out there as of late. Too bad that I love the taste of them. .

I disagree, I think cameroon wrappers are more fragile.

I've found corojo wrapped cigars take a longer while to settle down from transit or a B & M (which I've found most to keep their cigars too wet) and need a consistent 63-65 RH to be at their best.

I agree with this. Edge is best when smoked dry.

I really like the Edge corojo and have not experienced construction problems but I've only smoked about 10 of them.

Back