Romeo Y Julieta 1875 "Bully"

Mr. Doug

Gorilla
Normally, I start by trying to find the "Official" website for a cigar to read what the company says....I can't find one for Romeo Y Julieta (other than habanos.com) so I'll go with what I found at a cigar retailer.

Romeo Y Julieta Bully
Ring: 50
Length: 5"
Strength: Medium Bodied
Origin: Dominican Republic
Wrapper: Colorado Claro
Shape: Straight

Not a lot of help...so let's fire one up!

bully_1.jpg

The first thing I noticed is that this one has a MUCH easier draw than the one I smoked earlier today.

Normally, I smoke the Punch Elite when I just want to sit down and smoke a cigar, without thinking about what I'm tasting, or trying to be all 'hoity-toity' about smoking one. Today, they were out of Elites at PR Cigars in Solon, OH, (There's a plug for you Nick...) so I decided to try something new. I've been through about every Perdomo he has to offer, so I ventured into the Romeo Y Julieta section of his humidor.

I've had plenty of Cuban RYJs in the last few months, and always thought they were kind of a gold standard...one of the better brands anyway. They don't have a 'Bully' in the habanos version, so I have nothing to compare it to. I was more looking for a $5.00 burn that wasn't too esoteric. Something I could find at any local shop I may find myself in.

So I picked up a Bully and spent the next hour or so BS-ing with the normal Tuesday crew...and enjoying every puff. I bought a box, tucked it under my arm, and left for the day happy with my new friend...

...back to our story.

This particular cigar is a little lighter than the one from earlier. I can't find info to suggest that there is more than one wrapper available, so I'll assume it is just a different batch.

bully_2.jpg

About 10min later, and we're still burning very consistently.

Thick and creamy smoke billows out on each puff, followed by the light taste of cedar. This is NOT a harsh cigar by any means.

bully_4.jpg

This is the scene after the first ashing...and then about 5min of additional puffing.

Nice white ash...thick smoke...even bodied...this is a nice burner for sure.

bully_5.jpg

Second dump...

Nice and even...small peak in the middle.

We're starting to lien up a bit. Still very even bodied...but just a little spicier now.

bully_6.jpg

I pulled the band to inspect it...I usually wait for a few ash dumps so I know it isn't going to peel off any of the wrapper.

As expected, a nice quality band. Pressed, printed, and gold-painted.

And this one, if it were about 100X bigger, would make a KILLER headband...if I were into that sort of thing. ;)

bully_7.jpg

For me to say that the draw on this cigar is about perfect would be an understatement.

I can pull as hard, or soft as I want on it, and it doesn't ever disappoint. Lots of smoke? Puff hard. Little smoke? One quick pull ought to do the trick.

I'm as impressed with this one as I was earlier.

Taste is in full stride right now...

Creamy...cedar....a little grassy. (but not in a bad way)

Definitely doesn't smell like a barn as some RYJs have in the past for me.

I pulled the band to inspect it...I usually wait for a few ash dumps so I know it isn't going to peel off any of the wrapper.

As expected, a nice quality band. Pressed, printed, and gold-painted.

And this one, if it were about 100X bigger, would make a KILLER headband...if I were into that sort of thing. ;)

bully_7.jpg

Hillarious. Another great review you got going.

Damn good smokes, I must agree.

I can easily stack these against many of the cheaper ISOM's that I've smoked in terms of pure enjoyment. These are just about $5 cheaper :)

Just past the "half way" point right now.

I have a small tear that started, but I think it is my fault. I tapped a little hard on the edge of my ash-tray.

bully_8.jpg

This little "Bully" isn't so hard...in fact, it's not kicking my butt at all! If it were on the playground, I'd be taking it's lunch-money for sure.

Mild-to-Medium bodied smoke all day. Started off a LITTLE light, but we're hitting our stride now and I'm enjoying this smoke more than ever.

I can easily stack these against many of the cheaper ISOM's that I've smoked in terms of pure enjoyment. These are just about $5 cheaper :)

I think there are a LOT of smokes that do just that...and it is a shame (to me) that people get so wrapped up in Habano-ness...they miss out on some great burns.

We're at the 3/4 mark, and I'm still having a lot of fun with this one...

It's my 2nd for the day, and I'll bet I could light up another if I wanted to. I don't feel as though it is too rough to keep going. I guess that is the mark of a good cigar though.

And now we come to the end of the journey....

bully_12.jpg

I enjoyed the one I smoked earlier so much, I bought a box before I was done. This was the first from that box, and I'm delighted with my purchase.

The cigar burned evenly the entire time. The flavor was always outstanding, without ever becoming overbearing...even at the end.

At $5.00 a stick, I'll put it up against smokes costing 3-4X as much...all day.

Maybe that's why they call it the Bully...it makes other, more expensive cigars feel...inadequate. (Athough there wasn't any lunch money in the box, so maybe it isn't THAT big of a bully.)

The end...for now.

Back