Router suggestions

DoubleTrouble

Young Ape
I am looking to purchase a router and would like some suggestions on what to look for. I own some rental property and do minor repairs, hang a door occasionally but other than than not any larger jobs. I am interested in getting into wood working and a router will be my next purchase. So far I have been told that I should consider the following:
1 1/2 - 2 1/4 HP
Plunge is better than fixed
Variable speed motor

What other advice can you guys give me?

Thanks in advance!!

Jim

I am looking to purchase a router and would like some suggestions on what to look for. I own some rental property and do minor repairs, hang a door occasionally but other than than not any larger jobs. I am interested in getting into wood working and a router will be my next purchase. So far I have been told that I should consider the following:
1 1/2 - 2 1/4 HP
Plunge is better than fixed
Variable speed motor

What other advice can you guys give me?

Thanks in advance!!

Jim

Get something that has a base that works well with adpaters, etc. Freud ($$$) is one such company where they have endless accessories.

Inevitably you'll end up with two (or more) routers if you get serious in woodworking. One to use in a router table and one to use free of table. I'd suggest the Porter Cable 690LRVS (or close cousins). If you don't ever get that serious than this one will suit your needs. If you move on to bigger and better projects and want a plunge router with more horses you can buy that later and mount it in a table and you still have the Porter Cable for hand routing.

At 1-3/4 horse, variable speed and around $150 it is a great multi-use router. It is big enough to do most of the common woodworking tasks but small enough that it isn't a burden to use outside of a table. It comes with 1/4" and 1/2" collets, which expands bit selection quite a bit (versus having just the 1/4").
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
You cannot go wrong with Porter Cable.

Inevitably you'll end up with two (or more) routers if you get serious in woodworking. One to use in a router table and one to use free of table. I'd suggest the Porter Cable 690LRVS (or close cousins). . . . .

Another bump for Porter Cable. I currently have four routers. Three Porter Cable's and an all metal Black and Decker. Bought the Black and Decker cause I was building a deck - several people would be using it and I didn't want them to handle the Porter Cable's.
Anyway - I own a stationary, plunge and trim version.

Ron

Back