RP Vintage 92 need aging?

DennisP

Lowland Gorilla
Smoked one of my RP 92 Torps I got off cbid a few weeks ago last night and thought it was awful. I've smoked the following from my recent purchases:
RP Sungrown Torp
RP Sungrown PC
CAO Black Storm
5 Vegas 'A' Alpha
Oliva Serie G Torp

The RP 92 had by far the worst taste of any of these. I've heard great things about these and am hoping some aging will help, anyone have any similar experiences?

Smoked one of my RP 92 Torps I got off cbid a few weeks ago last night and thought it was awful. I've smoked the following from my recent purchases:
RP Sungrown Torp
RP Sungrown PC
CAO Black Storm
5 Vegas 'A' Alpha
Oliva Serie G Torp

The RP 92 had by far the worst taste of any of these. I've heard great things about these and am hoping some aging will help, anyone have any similar experiences?
I have had some issues with my cbid stuff being very dry (I had a Padillia Miami that was awful) so I've been letting them rest 2 weeks before smoking. Not counting the 3 days of freezing.

These had been out of the freezer about a little more than 2 weeks and all the others were fine. This wasn't really dry, lasted 2 hours, just tasted tarry/bittery.

Of course aweful is a matter of taste so the caveat here is what you think is aweful I might think is good. But I think anytime spent in the humi will improve the cigar unless its a bad cigar. 10 years aging on a bad cigar produces a 10 year old bad cigar. I've got some 92's that have been in the humi for about 6 months and I've noticed a marked improvement but I thought they were pretty good when I first got them too. You just might not like this particular cigar. Put them away for a few months and give them another try.....HTH

Last edited:
1) I have to assume you know the tobacco isn't really from '92. Not taking anything away from it (they're good cigars), but that's just the name.
2) I f you froze them, they'll likely need more than 2 weeks to acclimatize. Esp. if they were dry from the vendor.
3) Maybe you don't like them? Hide'em away for 6 months, try again. If you still don't care for them, trade/sell them, start over :mn

Once in a while you get a bad stick. I didn't like my first one either, then after 9 months in the humi they were smooth and delicious. Larry.

stuff from cbid seems to come dry or wet, mine comes wet-instead of a week or 2 rest, they get close to a month-buy something else to smoke from your local shop while you're waiting

I'll probably come back to it in a few months and give it another try. It may have been a bad stick. I can usually tell the difference between a stick that I just don't like (ie. Monte White) or something like this that I can't imagine anyone liking.

CBID is Cigars International's site if my memory serves me right. What they are doing is selling off old inventory dirty cheap to regain some revenue so they can buy newer stock that will sell.

I don't much care is taken to the older stock and it doesn't surprise me that you've had issues.

stuff from cbid seems to come dry or wet, mine comes wet-instead of a week or 2 rest, they get close to a month-buy something else to smoke from your local shop while you're waiting

I'll probably come back to it in a few months and give it another try. It may have been a bad stick. I can usually tell the difference between a stick that I just don't like (ie. Monte White) or something like this that I can't imagine anyone liking.

The 92 vintage cigars are tasty in my opinion. Maybe there was just an issue with letting them stabilize in your storage conditions. These cigars don't really need any further aging. They just time to rest. Let them sit for a month or three and then try them again. It might help.:2

Back