raralith

Young Ape
Number 4 – CAO Criollo Pato
Purchased from local B&M, roughly $5
ccpato1bm2.jpg

Appearance and Presentation of Cigar: Excellent
Wrapper color and Packaging: Natural color, Excellent packaging
Lighting and Burning Properties: OK toast but uneven, Good burn
Even initial light, even burn, burn fast or slow: uneven initial light, uneven burn, medium burn
Draw: OK but got real tough near the end
Taste: Good

I decided to lounge round the pool with some Diet Coke, a Newsweek, and this little fella. It had a cute little pig tail, too bad I had to cut it off! Putting it in my mouth and moisten the area after the cut, I felt a little kick; did someone sprinkle some chilli pepper on my cigar?

ccpato2qs4.jpg

First Third
Clean initial draw, tasted some of that spice and leather. I got down a little bit more and it felt quite smooth and creamy. Also, I some tartness jumped into the flavor fray like a mist of lime. The draw was slightly tight but had a good pull. Note to self, find an ashtray as I always lost this thing when balancing it on my Diet Coke can!
ccpato25nw5.jpg

Before I go to the second third, here’s a shot of the uneven burn. It only got worse as I smoked it down.

ccpato3xv1.jpg

Second Third
The spice and leather was still there, the creaminess started to fade a little, but a great wood flavor appeared. Still, quite smooth though it started to get light on a few areas. A mother and her young child came to the pool area and politely asked if I could smoke elsewhere and I obligated; she can enjoy cigars when bit (a lot) older.

ccpato4jr8.jpg

Last Third and Finish
Same as the second third but I got some coffee and toffee in this along with an exotic wood flavor that I can’t put my finger on. Unfortunately, it got quite hard to smoke at the above picture. While I did not relight, it was getting pretty hard to keep this thing going. With the tight draw, I had to finally put it down and it went out almost immediately. I took a little stroll after and the flavor of spice and paprika lounged in my tongue for some time. I used some Listerine when I got back in, and it started to sting my tongue; now that’s a spicy meatball!

Final Thoughts
I like this a lot, and it was certainly different than any cigar I’ve smoked. It was not as smooth or complex as more premium cigars, but that spiciness certainly puts it in its own category; definitely worth the $5.

Thanks for the review. I am not a big fan of the CAO Criollo. I don't exactly remember why, however. Maybe one day I will try it again.:ss

I forgot to mention too, the tar and nicotine really built up near the end, one of the reasons I did not try to relight. I'm not a big smoker but it definately got overpowering.

What does the "R's CSD" mean in your review titles?

Raralith's Club Stogie Dairy

Thanks for the review. I am not a big fan of the CAO Criollo. I don't exactly remember why, however. Maybe one day I will try it again.:ss
Might be the draw or the flavor. Honestly, if I didn't like spice or paprika (I think that was the exotic wood burning flavor), I don't think I could have continued. It's been 20 minutes after the Listerine and I still taste it on my tongue.

Can I get a quart of milk and some cheese? ;)

Seriously. What is the purpose of putting it in the thread title?

I'm an organized neat freak so its a force of habit. I normally title things so I can remember too. Would you prefer I don't? If so, I certianly can remove those.

I'm an organized neat freak so its a force of habit. I normally title things so I can remember too. Would you prefer I don't? If so, I certianly can remove those.

Not a problem. It just might be confusing for the readers. That's all.

Back