Ruined Humi and Cigars!!! ARG!!!!

bbaug14

Evolving Lead Gorilla
For those of you with a weak stomach, please do not read any further.

I get a call from the finacé while I'm at the gym yesterday. She says I need to come home because there is water in the basement and she doesn't know what happened or what to do. I said okay, I'll be home as soon as I can, not to worry, and I went home.

I walk downstairs, and there is literally four to six inches of water sitting in the basement. Now I'm pi$$ed. I have no idea what happened, and I have no idea what to do. My uncle is a plumber, so I give him a call immediately and he says he'll be right over. It's good to have family that can help out at times like this. While I'm waiting for him to get there, I start going through the rooms and getting the stuff off the ground that is soaking wet. I'm in the main room and there is nothing major damaged. I only had some weights, a work out ball, and other stuff that really wasn't effected by the water. Some boxes on the floor were ruined, but it was all just garbage really anyway, and stuff we were planning on getting rid of. I go into the storage room, and to my dismay, my 200ct. humi is sitting on the floor....where it DOESN'T belong. Now, I was confident that it would be fine inside, assuming that these things are pretty well sealed and what not. NOPE. I open it up and see my sticks are sitting in water. Yeah. Now I'm livid. I go upstairs and I say, "Hun, why was my humi sitting on the ground when I had it on the shelf in the storage room?!?!?!" She replies, "I took it down to get at some Christmas stuff that was behind it. Why? Is there something wrong with it because of the water?" "Um, YES!!!!" I was pretty upset, okay, wait, that's an understatement, I was fuming, but I couldn't really get too mad at her because technically it wasn't her fault. She didn't flood the basement, and I as badly as I wanted to blame her for the lost cigars, I kept my cool and let it go.

So my uncle comes over and works in the basement for about an hour and then he comes upstairs and tells me that the city must have been doing some kind of sewer cleaning which backed up my pipes (old house) and flooded my basement. He cleaned/flushed all the pipes and said it wouldn't be a problem again he didn't think, and that he pumped out the water and got it going down the drains again and everything would be fine once the basement had time to dry out.

Needless to say, I'm still a little upset about everything, but my hands are pretty much tied. I can't do anything in regards to the city, because they didn't really do anything wrong. I can't claim it on my insurance, because I don't think my insurance covers this, and even if it did, it wouldn't really be worth the claim. All in all, I'm out a 200ct. humi, and about 150 or so cigars, most of which were stuff I've never even gotten to try. I still have my 50ct. humi stocked with about 30 sticks, so I'll be fine in the way of cigars until I can purchase some more here in the coming weeks, probably after the holidays. I guess this is the best excuse I could have for converting to a coolidor which I will be doing ASAP, probably this week.

Okay, sorry about the rant. I just needed to express my disgust for yesterday's events. Who knows, maybe this is a blessing in disguise considering I will be getting the coolidor I always wanted. Sure doesn't feel like one right now though. Thank goodness, my gifted anejo and opus X (both I haven't tried yet) weren't in there. Anyway, hope everyone has a great holiday season!!!!

man that really sucks. i dont have much of a selection, but if you send me your address i'll send a few smokes your way to help the rebuilding process.

That's a real bummer, sorry you lost your sticks. I see from your avatar you're a guitar player. What genre(s) do you like to play?

I wouldn't rule out the city. They were the ones that cleaned out the pipes and "caused" your back-up. That might be worth looking into. As far as your insurance is concerned, you would have to carry the sewer back-up endorsement. Even then I wouldn't put in a claim unless the damage was MAJOR. Wow, that totally sucks!! PM your addy and I'll hook you w/ some sticks. :tu

Wow man that sux.
Sorry to hear that.

On a side note:
You're probably correct about the insurance not covering anything unless you have added a sewer and drain back up clause to your policy at an extra expense.

I'm sorry to hear that. It's never fun to come home to something like that.

Was it storm sewer or sanitary? You didn't mention anything about smell or floatables so I'll assume storm. Did the city alert you to the work and that cross-connections may cause backups? Do you have a cross connection? If you could tell me the exact nature of the work, I may be able to do some research on responsibility of the municipality as well.

I am in for the rebuild/restock...please provide an RMA (just kidding).

PM sent!

Zip - not sure it will make a difference, in the end, making a claim on insurance will just increase your rates, or cause them to drop you. And fighting city hall...well you know that saying. It is only woth it if you are extremely motivated!
:mad:

I am in for the rebuild/restock...please provide an RMA (just kidding).

PM sent!

Zip - not sure it will make a difference, in the end, making a claim on insurance will just increase your rates, or cause them to drop you. And fighting city hall...well you know that saying. It is only woth it if you are extremely motivated!
:mad:

I agree with you. It's hard to deal with them (City hall) - I should know, I used to work for them :r. And insurance...:hn I won't even go there.

All that being said, if he's got a cross-connection that opens up a whole other mess of problems, and (possibly) some expenses. But whose expenses would they be? I was hoping to get a better picture of the situation, just to try and see if some of those problems actually existed, and hopefully could be avoided if they did.

Sorry to read about your misfortune! I can help with a few replacements for the cigars you lost. PM an address.

That's terrible. At least nothing else major got ruined, and you've got a good escuse to start the cooler!

PM me and I'll send you something to help with the rebuilding effort. Good luck in the Noob Extravaganza contest too (you've already got one of my votes for the remaining prizes :ss).

Man that just SUCKS! I feel your pain. I've got plenty and plenty more are on the way. If you like Forbidden Fruit, PM me your addy and I'll be more than happy to assist.

Go get that Cooler and some Beads

Sorry to hear this. It was tough reading, but we all feel your pain.

Looks like a rescue mission is in store. Count me in. :tu
Someone PM me bbaugs address and I will put an aid package as well. :ss

Hmm, nothing better than a good rescue mission. Count me in! Someone PM me this BOTL's address... I'm feeling the Christmas spirit inside of me... oh wait... that could be the whiskey I'm feeling :al

:r:chk

Hmm, nothing better than a good rescue mission. Count me in! Someone PM me this BOTL's address... I'm feeling the Christmas spirit inside of me... oh wait... that could be the whiskey I'm feeling :al

:r:chk

:tpd: (not because he's an LSU fan...) I can do some Christmas giving if someone PMs me his address, or if bbaug14, if you send it yourself.

MMmmm... whiskey.... :tu

:tpd: someone hook me up

Back