Rums over $30

Chè

ChestBeater
Having done the under $30 rum to backslaps and salutations, I was curious what ranges over $30 that comes highly recommended & "must haves"? However, I'm not necessarily looking to hear about the most expensive, rarest, oldest... etc. etc. - Lets keep it practical.:D

• I thought of a couple I consistently like...
  • El Dorado 15 & 21 year old expressions
  • Depaz (blue cane - agricole)
  • Zacapa 23
  • Ron Botran 18
  • Clement VSOP
  • Cockspur 12
  • Ron Centenario XX Anjos (can often be found just shy of $30)
  • Barbancourt 15 (prefer the 8, but find the 15 a good contrast)

There's also a couple that I know rate fairly high but I have / had a bottle or two that I found / felt below the usual standard - I struck those.

Will have to look around for some of that Tom. The store I shopped at only had Havana Club in regular and 7 year old.....I took that as a sign to get both?:chk

Appletons estate rum is pretty good. I think it's 15 year, I'd look in my liquor cabinet, but I'm too lazy to get up. :r

Picked this one up for a bomb:
f_CIMG0010m_f933dc7.jpg

f_CIMG0011m_c1f705d.jpg

f_CIMG0013m_c580a23.jpg

It was a bit pricy, but I was told its very good, can't wait to ship it :D:chk

It is well over $30, but I find the Centenario 20year Special Edition Rum stellar, and a must-have in my stock.

http://costaricasuperstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=933&currency=USD

If I'm not mistaken, this is the XX Anjos I mentioned above:

If so, I certainly hope you're not ordering from that Costa Rican super store link you provided! Your source shows it on sale for $87.66 or are those Costa Rican dollars? It's regularly $40 but on sale as we speak for $28.99.

http://www.hitimewine.net/istar.asp?a=6&id=166527!4045

CentenarioXXHiTime.jpg

cool bottle of Jamaican

HC 15
HC Barrel Proof
Zacapa 23
Cruzan Single Barrel
Appetons
Mount Gay Extra Old

If I'm not mistaken, this is the XX Anjos I mentioned above:

If so, I certainly hope you're not ordering from that Costa Rican super store link you provided! Your source shows it on sale for $87.66 or are those Costa Rican dollars? It's regularly $40 but on sale as we speak for $28.99.

http://www.hitimewine.net/istar.asp?a=6&id=166527!4045

CentenarioXXHiTime.jpg

Nope, didn't pay for it from that site, in fact I have been gifted the bottles I have drank from Alex and Darrel....but now I guess I can order some at that price....gracias!! :tu :D

Nope, didn't pay for it from that site, in fact I have been gifted the bottles I have drank from Alex and Darrel....but now I guess I can order some at that price....gracias!! :tu :D

Don't be so fast there Big Guy!!!!! I have an endless supply of those bottles and know how to use click and ship!!!!!! :tu

Ron

mmm found a bottle of Zaya locally :chk Sadly hitime doesn't ship to this forsaken place I call home, at least "spirits" they'll ship wine but thats of minimal interest

Another one thats over 30, haven't tried it, Montecristo 12 yr. States made in guatamala like zaya, but in a typical monte embossed bottle. Any experience?

Last edited:
mmm found a bottle of Zaya locally :chk Sadly hitime doesn't ship to this forsaken place I call home, at least "spirits" they'll ship wine but thats of minimal interest

Another one thats over 30, haven't tried it, Montecristo 12 yr. States made in guatamala like zaya, but in a typical monte embossed bottle. Any experience?
If I'm not mistaken, there's really only 1 Guatemalan manufacturer (ILdG) - which means Zacapa, Zaya, Botran & Montecristo are all product of the same single source.

Zaya obviously (was) a private bottle, as is (I assume) Carlito's Montecristo rum. Given the circumstances, obviously one must ponder if Montecristo will bite the dust like Zaya.

This speculation has been going around on the rum sites. Your comment is astute and represents a lot of people's thinking.

I can't think of a drink that Bacardi doesn't work wonderfully with. I guess you guys are talking about drinking it straight up though. I am a huge whisky guy and never thought about drinking rum straight. I just know it is good in Mojitos and, if you go that way, frozen daiquiris. I may have to look into it because the only rum I have ever drank straight was the Captain.

I can't think of a drink that Bacardi doesn't work wonderfully with. I guess you guys are talking about drinking it straight up though. I am a huge whisky guy and never thought about drinking rum straight. I just know it is good in Mojitos and, if you go that way, frozen daiquiris. I may have to look into it because the only rum I have ever drank straight was the Captain.

Bacardi and Captain are better as mixers....try a real quality rum, and you won't want to dilute it. ;)

Back