RyJ Reserva Real 1875 -- a newbie thought

bonggoy

token
RyJ 1875 Reserva Real robusto $5.00

I usually have 30 to 45 minutes of free time during lunch. I usually spend them in the local B&M.

Appearance

This is a gorgeously rolled cigar. It has a caramel-tan colored wrapper with very little veins. Densely packed by surprisingly soft to the touch.

Taste

There was an initial vanilla sweetness that quickly disappeared after the first puff.
I tasted a hint of initially. There were hints of other flavor that my inexperience palate cannot discern at the moment.

The cigar burned slow and somewhat uneven. Not good for an office day after lunch breaks. I left the shop after half an hour and there was easily a half cigar left. They produces a lot of smoke. They smoke hot or burn hot. I am not sure of the correct term. That’s another reason why I didn’t “finish” them.

Strength
I would classify them as medium strength. Leaning towards the milder side. Perfect for someone looking to try a “stronger” cigar than the Macanudo .

Afterthought
I've had two RyJ so far and both of them didn’t live up to expectations. I really don’t know what my expectations were, I am probably expecting too much from a well publicized brand.

That is probably another reason why I am holding out on purchasing ISOM (besides the lack of access to it, of course :)).

Ronnie

I smoked one of those over the weekend and had very similar thoughts. Once it burned down to ring country, it got very hot. Nice robusto size, burned well for me, held the ash till about halfway through. I still have 3 of them, and I'm thinking that I'll let them age a while (I've only had them about a month now) and see what happens.

Just finishing a box of RyJ Reserva Real Robustos that my mother-in-law gave me for Christmas. It's a little mild for my tastes but it has a nice, somewhat unique flavor ... thought it went very well with morning coffee. Never really noticed the hot smoke characteristic but I'm a very slow cigar smoker.

One of my former favorites until I got started with this SD crew. I've been trying so many different things. I think I'll smoke one later tonight. Thanks for reminding me.

(IMHO)... The Reserva Real is probably one of the best that RyJ has to offer, but even after aging, there's a certain "dryness" to it (though I'll give them another crack in a few months!).

My suggestion to those of you just getting into it would be to give the 5-Vegas line a try... They're mild-medium, but there's a "moistness" that you might like.

Again, this is purely opinion!!!

Back