RyJ Reserva Real

andrewk

ChestBeater
Hey everyone.

This is my first review so cut me some slack! :D I will attempt to describe the experience first then go on to give me opinion on stogie.

Sorry, but this time, no pictures. My digital camera wasn't handy and I wanted a smoke.

To start off, the cigar was beautiful. It had a silky smooth, vein free, light caramel Connecticut shade wrapper. The prelight aroma was rich and buttery with hints of caramel.
Construction seemed excellent - I smoked the belicoso (about 6 X 52) and I've never seen such a flawlessly rolled torpedo. The tapered end came to a smooth, blunt point and the body was firm. No soft spots to be found!

I gave it a perfect snip with my new Xikar cutter (love this guy!) - the prelight draw was a tad stiffer than I like, but the flavor was great. It matched the aroma as buttery with caramel.

Gave it a light with some matches, and now on to the meat of the review :D

Smoking:

The first few puffs were rather thin and flavorless, which dampened some of my excitement about this smoke. After about a minute though, my hope was restored! It started kicking out big clouds of white smoke that were medium in body and tasted of toasty cedar. The draw also opened up nicely as the cigar warmed up. Flavor stayed consistent through the first third of the smoke- it was tasty and pleasant but by no means a BIG flavor. I experienced slightly uneven burn in this first third, but it seemed to resolve itself by about 1.5inches in.

Second third: This is where things got interesting. At almost exactly the 1/2 mark, the flavor flipped. Instead of subtle cedar and toast, I was getting a new, HUGE warm, flavor. It is hard to place this flavor as I have never tasted it in a cigar before. The best I can do is say it was Warm, Salty, and Full. It hit me right in the back of my tongue. It was a very suprising, and satisfying, flavor. After about an inch of it though, it got very old and I was ready for a new flavor. (This almost made my stomache turn)

Final Third: Thankfully, the salty flavor dissipated, making way for a cooler, but still full creamy, milky flavor. A bit of caramel flavor also came through. I really enjoyed this part of the cigar. It was a great change of pace and a great closing. I smoked the cigar down to about 1inch and then let it go.

Just a few more comments: The smoke smelled awesome - not at all similar to your average cigar. Strong hints of cedar and caramel. Also, there was very little finish on the cigar. I couldn't even pick out a flavor as it was so faint. Also, did not leave my hands, clothes or hair smelling of cigar at all...

Overall - I really enjoyed this cigar. It was a comforting, relaxing smoke that held my attention for the full 1:20 it burned. The flavor changes were very distinct and welcome. However, the full salty flavor lasted a bit too long for my taste (I also may have smoked it too quickly). Finally, the nearly perfect burn and cool smoke evidenced the cigars perfect construction.

I give this a 8.7 overall.

Comments welcome!

Last edited:
This would be a great cigar with coffee... Also might pair well with something smooth like crown royal.

Just curious: did you notice the salty tastes I did? I was very surprised to taste it in a cigar.

Salty? Hadn't noticed that one, but I've only had one of these. May have to revisit. I really enjoyed the one I had, though.

Back