Saint Louis Rey Serie G Titan

AggieChemDoc

Young Ape
Picked this cigar up at the B&M 3-4 weeks ago. It has been resting at 67% since then.

Saint Louis Rey Serie G
Titan (5.5" x 60)
Filler: Nicaragua and Honduras
Wrapper: Nicaragua
Price: ~$6 @ B&M

I wasn't sure about this cigar. It had such a huge ring gauge, I probably should have punched it. Instead, I sort of butchered it with my guillotine. Construction was nice, very firm, a couple of minor blemishes in the wrapper.

Beverage of choice was 12 year old Dalmore single malt. It was a gorgeous 73 degree early summer West Virginia evening.

2628885505_4fa457b225_o.jpg

I developed a bit of a canoe right off the bat that would remain with me, and the cigar tunnelled a bit. Whether this was due to my poor cut or the construction of the cigar, I'm not sure. Also, as I smoked this cigar loosened up significantly. Other than these "cosmetic" issues that are usually the difference between a good and a great cigar for me, the smoke was very pleasant. Notes of pepper, leather, and cedar lasted for the full first half, with a strong tobacco and pepper finish.

2629706586_fd8d027329_o.jpg

The beagle shared my enthusiasm for the nice weather.

2629706498_945a4e1c76_o.jpg

The smoke finished with a decent burn after two ashings and two touch ups.

All in all, a very pleasant smoking experience for a moderately priced cigar. I probably wouldn't buy another one at MSRP, as there are better smokes in the price range, but I certainly enjoyed it, would smoke it again, and would buy if I found a deal on a box. The best aspect of this cigar for me was the huge volume of smoke from the first draw until the last. I imagine this has something to do with the monster 60 ring gauge. Very satisfying.

2629706614_1e4f7f6502_o.jpg

Nice review. I've experience the same thing (burn is off, tunneling) with these. May have something to do with the RG. I've never had one go extremely bad, though. I really like those but had not seen the "Titan" in the G. Had only seen the Rothchilde, Short Robusto, Churchill, and #6. I guess now they have a Titan in both the standard SLR and the G. Have to look for it. I think the standard SLR Rothchilde Maduro is a very underrated smoke. Not complex, but very tasty, consistent, and affordable. One of my go-tos. :tu

I smoke the Serie G Rothchildes. I love the volume of smoke those babies put out - it's almost like puffing out a cloud of cotton candy.

Back