Saint Luis Rey Reserve Especial Belicoso - 91 Rating justified??

billybarue

Luvin' me some Lagavulin
Just looked at the latest Cigar Aficionado and saw 91 rating for the Saint Luis Rey Reserve Especial Belicoso.
Interested in the Cigar for awhile and the rating wants to make me pull the trigger on a box.
Any inputs? CA has rated Saint Luis Rey high in the past.

Joe (AKA Billy)

billybarue said:
Just looked at the latest Cigar Aficionado and saw 91 rating for the Saint Luis Rey Reserve Especial Belicoso.
Interested in the Cigar for awhile and the rating wants to make me pull the trigger on a box.

Joe (AKA Billy)

I found the rating of this smoke to be a joke personally. I picked up a 5 pack of these and smoked 2, gave the others away. I did'nt care for them much at all.

Spend that money on some Camachos or TOranos

billybarue said:

Joe (AKA Billy)

Try a couple of singles before you spring for a box. That said - I do have a box. I tried one of them shorly after getting it - and promptly put the box in deep storage - a little to new/harsh. The samples I had before I got the box I thought were very good. A 91 as compared to others they give 91's too - I don't think so. Maybe around an 86-88 I would say.

Personally - I'm not into the ratings game. I smoke what I like and could care less if CA gave it a 26 :rolleyes:
Then again - I'm just not as refined as some :D

Ron

dizzydog said:
I found the rating of this smoke to be a joke personally. I picked up a 5 pack of these and smoked 2, gave the others away. I did'nt care for them much at all.

Spend that money on some Camachos or TOranos

Where'd you get the five pack? Was it Cbid? I'm asking because I gave fitter a SLR rothchilde from a 50 cab that he loved, so he bought a fiver from Cbid and gave me one, and it was not even the same cigar. I think some places leave them sealed in a plastic bag for too long, with no humidification, and it ruins the cigar.

While I usually buy the rothchilde, I've found them to be a good to go smoke. A very enjoyable $3 cigar.

dizzydog, try another and see what you think about them. Maybe even compare the belicoso to the rothchilde.

edited: My 1000th post. Yeppie Yeppie!:w

I like Saint Luis Rey's in general. As to whether they are deserving of a 91 rating I couldnt say. I have seen them rated at 90 and a 9 in Smoke magazine. They are a good solid smoke, not overpowering, tasty, complex.
I agree with the others, get a fiver to see if you like em. But, keep in mind, those smoked right outta the box will be a lot different than those smoked after they have rested awhile.

I think these ratings are too subjective. Everyone has different tastes. To me, the Saint Luis Rey cigars I've smoked were too strong and harsh. But, this is my taste. I think I gravitate towards the milder smokes.

Larry

ky toker said:
While I usually buy the rothchilde, I've found them to be a good to go smoke. A very enjoyable $3 cigar.

dizzydog, try another and see what you think about them. Maybe even compare the belicoso to the rothchilde.

edited: My 1000th post. Yeppie Yeppie!:w

I only tried the Belicoso and I though it was very average at best.

I bought a box of these about 2 months ago. I did not care for the first one i had. They sat in the humidor for a while and then i had one the day CA came out to see if my thoughts have changed. I enjoyed the smoke alot more and will be looking forward to continuing the box in a few more months. For the price and flavor, it is well worth a high rating (not sure about the 91 though).

The SLR Reserva Especial Rothchilde Maduro is my "go to" smoke.

A great smoke for the price IMO. I keep a decent variety of cigars (CAO, Gurkha, Cusano, Rocky Patel, etc.) and I keep going back to this one for reliability. The ones I've had are always creamy smooth, not too harsh, and always a good burn and draw. One of my favorites to say the least.

I had one at lunch today, oddly enough, and I loved it. Had to leave a third burning at the B&M and it pissed me off. It beat the Gurkha Grand Envoy I had last night. I will always keep SLR on hand.

Personally, I prefer the Robustos. I recently had a Belicoso and was not as happy as I was with the Robustos (I question how the belicosos were stored). At the price of under 3 dollars, I am very pleased for the money. A great guilt-free smoke. I will be buying another box of them without question. I cannot afford to smoke Ashtons everyday. I would try one or two before committing to a box. BILL:BS

I have smoked a fair share of St Luis Rey Cigars over the years. When first purchased, they have always seemed to be decent cigars but nothing special. However, with a year or more of age, they become very good and in some cases exceptional. IMHO, the St Luis Rey, non- Cuban brand, is one that needs to be aged before it can be enjoyed properly. Lay a few, or even a box, down for a year and I believe you will be pleased with the results.

JohnnyFlake

I've not had a bad SLR yet. I believe that I would rate the ones that I have had in the '90's if I were using the CA scale.

billybarue said:

Joe (AKA Billy)

Depends on what you're looking for in a smoke. The CA ratings for this stick are consistent, and each time I have smoked one I have come away liking them. IMO they are deserving of their ratings. The good news on them is that they are relatively inexpensive.

Agree with the positive comments here. Had a SLR Belicoso today with about 3 months in storage. Definately worth the price. I am trying a number of SLRs. When I decide which one is best will purchase a box and let is age.

This cigar helped me to choose which B&M to frequent in my area.

Why?

Because when I decided to really put some effort into choosing good quality cigars to smoke, I went to the two decent B&M's in my area. One store's employees never asked me what my tastes were like... what I wanted to spend on smokes... nothing. They just started pushing $9 sticks at me. (Incidentally, the place looks like a JR's catalog... if I want only JR stock, I'll order from JR!)

The other though... they asked me what I liked to smoke so far... what I wanted to spend... generally took the time to find out a little about me. Their crew sold me a bunch of cigars with none over $4.00. The SLR Maduro Rothchilde was one that they recommended at $2.50 each. And it was really good... so I trust my B&M staff when I ask about the more expensive sticks... all because of this cigar!

Bobby

Back