salt test question

jimmy

Evolving Lead Gorilla
hey all-
i have done the salt test many many times successfully on 4 or 5 different hydrometers. i have read several different ways to do it, most are the same but some have a few differences. i use a tupperware bowl. here is my question. i have read some places 8 hours and others say 12 hours. i get a big difference from 8 to 12 hours on my readings. i am trying to juggle 4 meters right now all of which are +/- different amounts, so i am getting myself really confused lately. i have one digi right now that is off as much as 8 degrees i think. i was hoping for some input on how long others leave in the tupperware bowl.
thanx in advance for any help and input.
jimmy

I'm not at all an expert, so I could be way off. I would think that the longer it's in there the more accurate the reading. I have always put mine in a large glass jar with the cap of saltwater solution and then sealed and double bagged it. I put it in my humidor and wait about 72 hours. It's always worked good for me that way.

wow, that's the first time i have ever heard of leaving it in with the salt solution for more than 12 hours.
thanx for the input
jimmy

Well, I can't recall off hand. There is a chart, but it depends on the temp. I thinks it's 75%Rh at 70¼F, not sure on that it's been a while. I bought an Accurite brand digital hygrometer and it was right on the money when I tested it. It now reads 65-68%Rh at 67-70¼F, which is perfect IMHO.

I've learned myself through trial and error...the longer you leave it the more accurate it will be. I tried it different ways with 6 different hygrometers and the results always came out the same when left for 12-18 hours. Less and they all read differently even after being calibrated properly;)

thanx for the input guys. just got back from a long and enjoyable gambling and golfing weekend. luckily i faired well at both. it was the perfect 72 hours to be away and let them sit in the humidor. if i was here i would have been in and out of it 3 or 4 times a day ;)
i checked them before work today and noted the discrepencies. no i am going to let them sit for 12+hours outside of the humidor with the salt solution and see if those readings compare to the 72 hour ones.
thanx again
jimmy

another quick question. is it possible that the wrong amount of time in the tupperware with the salt solution could be too long? what i mean is if they were in with the salt solution past the "optimum" time would the readings start to get inaccurate? i assumed 8 or 12 hours was the proper amount of time for the salt to create the proper atmosphere. now they have been in there for aprox 16 hours and the readings now are different from both the 72 hour readings, and the readings from 4-6 hours ago, at the 10-12 hour mark.
i sure hope this made sense to someone.
thanx
jimmy

Back