Salty Cigars

Syekick

Chairy Hestbeater
Over time, I've noticed that some cigars taste salty when I start them time and time again. Others remain salty throughout the smoke. Always the same brands. For example, one of my favorites has a little bit of salt that fades quickly. The Carlos Torono Signature Maduro. I had an cheap maduro from a sampler pack today that was very salty till I put it down.

Now for the the straight line. Is it just me? Go head....

There certainly DOES seem to always be something...regardless of what you're doing :r

Seriously I have noticed salt before but never from a Torano. Maybe a Sol Cubano

Can't believe someone actually brought this up. On rare occassions I've had a salty taste in my mouth when smoking, but I've always thought it was something to do with the curent status of my pallet......not the cigar.

Maybe it is the cigar...

I smoked a Pepin Black the other day and tasted pepper (obviously) but no salt. About midway through I started to taste fruit...dried cherries maybe. Never tasted a salty flavor in any cigar.

Yes, indeedy, I've tasted salt upon starting to smoke a cigar! Usually goes away after a while, but certainly is disconcerting. Gives new meaning to rolling cigars "with the sweat of their brow!"

Wow! I just experienced the same thing today. I attributed it to having burned my tongue smoking my pipe but maybe not. The cigar was just plain NASTY! I threw it out...........

I had an aged cc a couple weeks ago that tasted like I was smoking a bowl of salt. It was horrible but since it was a rare stick for me, I smoked it almost to the end in hopes something would change. Nothing changed, just overwhelming salt flavor through and through. Yuk.

I've heard many here say that Cuban Sancho Panzas' unique characteristic is saltiness

Those are the only cigars I have smoked that I would describe as salty...but I don't care much for Toranos so I have not tried the Signature Maduro.

I've heard many here say that Cuban Sancho Panzas' unique characteristic is saltiness

I consider that to be a GOOD salty flavor though, generally not overpowering. The analogy I have for Sancho Panza is that it is like a good dish that uses the perfect amount of salt to highlight all the other subtle underlying flavors. Delicious, but that is about the only one I have tasted it in that I can think of off hand.

I have had a 5 Vegas "A" serie maduro. It has a salty taste when just put in my mouth, unlit yet. The taste doesn't seeem to be in the smoking. Just the initial taste of the wrapper. IMHO

I consider that to be a GOOD salty flavor though, generally not overpowering. The analogy I have for Sancho Panza is that it is like a good dish that uses the perfect amount of salt to highlight all the other subtle underlying flavors. Delicious, but that is about the only one I have tasted it in that I can think of off hand.

Absolutely, Tony.....I didn't mean to imply I don't like them, I think they are delicious too. :)

Head to the banter thread and tell me how the interview went. :)

Maybe it's just me but the CAO America line of cigars have a very salt and peppery taste to them. Especially the Potomac. But it could just be me.

I have has quite a few of the Carlos Torono Signature Maduro, and have never pick up a salty flavor, but everybody is different. I have picked up a salty flavor on the RP R4 Maduros before, so to each is own.

The Signatures are one on my favorites, but I can't recall any saltiness to them. BTW, aren't ALL the sig line maduros? I don't think I've seen them in any other wrapper, but that is just me, and I might have overlooked other wrappers!!??!!

I agree 100% with Twill413's assessment of the Sancho Panza salt characteristics. Went through two boxes of their [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Belicosos a couple of years ago, nice salty tastes on the lips.

I had a cigar in the last month that reminded me of the SPBs, but for the life of me, I can't recall now what it was. Old man memory kickin' in!!
[/FONT]

I had to have a SP Corona tonite just because of this thread. Mmm love the slightly salty taste! :tu:tu:tu

I had a bundle of Consuegra 15 Maddies that tasted like you were eating the rock salt you throw in your driveway to melt ice.

I thought maybe it was a hot day and I was sweating, but the whole bundle was that way. Man was I glad I gave those away...

Munt.

I had an RP Edge Mad. perfecto that the wrapper actually tasted like it was salted. I put it down after a few puffs. :2

Back