sealing a used humidor

jaymz

preserver of the universe
Friend of mine gifted me a nice humidor that he hasn't used for a while. Problem is it appears the drawers have started sagging and there is a definite gap at the top. whats the best approach on how to re seal this thing?

This is what it looks like:

HUM-3DR2.gif

it look exactly like the Valencia from cheaphumidors.com. i was thinking of prying off the front panel from the drawers, sanding it down and re gluing it.

Friend of mine gifted me a nice humidor that he hasn't used for a while. Problem is it appears the drawers have started sagging and there is a definite gap at the top. whats the best approach on how to re seal this thing?

Perhaps...Gulf Wax(canning wax-found in most grocery stores)...Take a hair dryer to a chunk of wax and press into place...You can then trim off the excess...For a quick fix!:D

If you have the humi re seasoned and it up to your Rh% you want and there are still gaps a little mixture of none toxic wood glue along with some aerosol or cotton flocks mixed in should be a quick fix,If your humi is black you can also use some graphite additive .The fillers are all available from a good boating supply store in your area and are made by West Marine products.If you have time and you want to use epoxy for the repairs I would use their expoxy, also here's their link
http://www.westsystem.com/webpages/productinfo/guide/index.htm
good luck with the project:tu

I've pulled the front panels off of the drawers, and removed the nails. What's the best way to remove the glue from the wood? Sanding?

Sanding is the best way to remove the glue. remember to wear a face mask when sanding as the Spanish Cedar is hell on the lungs.
Glue back up with some Gorilla glue making sure to get everything right.
Rubbing down the edges of the drawers with beeswax will help seal them more.

I hope this helps
Harland

You know I have one of those as well and it just doesn't seem to have a great seal on them. It is a great humi but I have to watch the beads a bit more often than my other humi. Hopefully you get yours all sealed up. :tu

Back